blade is too head-heavy for me - any tipps?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Hi. I am testing a new blade that has the same weight as my old setup, when put together. They weight 197g.
old: bty primoarc 93g. st handle + overgrip
new: stiga clipper wood 95g, st handle + overgrip

My old bat feels weight-wise very good in my hands, balanced I would say. But the clipper feels just super head-heavy, not handable for me over longer time, cause my wrist gets tired. Can I fix this by adding weight to the handle because its just psychologically-thing or is it just too much weight for my wrist?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
How long have you been playing with the blade.

Theoretically, after a few weeks you might get used to it. But you could also see what happened if you taped something that weighed about 5 grams to the handle and played with it for half an hour to see how the weight and weight distribution feels. If it feels okay, then there are any number of ways to add more weight to the handle. And if it does not work for you and you can't get used to the weight and weight distribution of the Clipper, then you could change blades.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Everyone knows Der_Echte's preference for heavy, solid blades with LOW balance point... and hiz inclination towards adding weight to the handle if the weight and balance are "wrong".

Everything depends on the swing, the biomechanics, and the impact. One could benefit from head heavy, neutral, or low balance all depending on these easy factors.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I'm surprised you can even play such a heavy setup. You must be quite young and athletic and/or aren't playing very offensively. If my blades go above 90 grams or if the total setup weight above 187 grams or so, it's game over for me pretty quickly.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wing,

If you look at a picture of Der_Echte, you would immediately come away with the impression of an over-the-hill 55+ washed-out way overweight XXL joker who would not be able to lift the weight of a fly or move the width of an ant... but I wield a 200-210 gram bat consistently and get to the ball.

You arm weighs 5000 grams plus and the weight of your arm changes 100 grams every few hours... a few grams total weight is not an issue... what IS an issue is how it is distributed and how you swing/impact the ball. There can be a number of different requirements for weight and distribution.

I gave Carl the switcheroo on one of his favored blades in 2015 (The Allround Evolution) and upped the weight from low 80s grams to 126 grams... with familliar rubbers on that beast, he immediately noticed that it swung EASIER, MUCH easier and was easier to spin the ball, DESPITE weighing 50%ish heavier than stock.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
If you look at a picture of Der_Echte, you would immediately come away with the impression of an over-the-hill 55+ washed-out way overweight XXL joker

I gave Carl the switcheroo on one of his favored blades in 2015 (The Allround Evolution) and upped the weight from low 80s grams to 126 grams... with familliar rubbers on that beast, he immediately noticed that it swung EASIER, MUCH easier and was easier to spin the ball, DESPITE weighing 50%ish heavier than stock.
Yeah, I've met you in person at Swan in the Bay Area on a quiet night once, when you were visiting I think. Don't think you looked that old but it was some time back. I also remember you had a more relaxed style than my attack all the balls style.

I guess I'll have to reassemble my heaviest setup and try to move the balance down with a metal washer taped to the butt of the handle or something - for science. I'm skeptical but willing to learn new things.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
for a start you could establish the center of gravity of both blades. If the difference is not too much you could
add weight to the handle but if the difference is extreme you would then end up with an hammer instead of a TT-blade.
first quick test tells my it looks pretty similar
Or you can try a lighter rubber…
thanks for this tip, but for now I stay with my rubber.
How long have you been playing with the blade.
only two session´s so far
The easiest and least risk to add weight to handle to balance out the blade (and custom make the shape to fit the hand better) is to apply GRIP TAPE.
yeah thats a good idea though I already got overgrip on it, but I´ll add some more tomorrow. The only problem with this is that I dont wont to get the handle more bulky, but for testing porpose it will be finde.
I'm surprised you can even play such a heavy setup. You must be quite young and athletic and/or aren't playing very offensively. If my blades go above 90 grams or if the total setup weight above 187 grams or so, it's game over for me pretty quickly.
nah, I am in my early thirtie´s, a bit overweight but got some muscles. Endurance is one of my biggest problems, but other factor´s than the bat weight is here the problem for me. I am also an pretty aggressive player but I am focusing 80-90% of my tt-time on training than on actual matches, actually I dont know if I am capable of 2h straight matchtime. But train 2-3h is managble for me, but after that starting with matches im pretty done. I should add that I am just 6/7 months into tt.

Thanks so far to all of u guy´s! I´ll replay probably tomorrow and let u know how it worked out.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have definitely played with a few setups Der handed me where the blade weighed over 120 grams and the weight of the setup was not a problem.

It is true that I like blades that are on the heavy side. If a blade is less than 93 grams, for me, it will feel too light. Everyone is different. But I think some of that has to do with what you get used to.

I used to like lighter setups. But I feel, with a heavier setup, as long as you have enough time to train with it to gain the strength, the extra inertia behind the ball really helps, and heavier blades seem to have better feeling to me.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I used to like lighter setups. But I feel, with a heavier setup, as long as you have enough time to train with it to gain the strength, the extra inertia behind the ball really helps, and heavier blades seem to have better feeling to me.

I could not agree more, light setups are for pussies 😂

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I could not agree more, light setups are for pussies 😂

This did make me laugh. But for the OP, the important issues to weigh are, that you can train so you have the strength to wield the extra weight (and/or head-heaviness). But you also get to choose whether you want to or not. Some of this has to do with personal preference.

It is worth knowing that Stiga makes the handles of their blades hollow (even the ones that look like they are solid). So, a lot of Stiga's blades are head heavy. There are other brands that make blades with more of a center balance. Or, look for Der's Beast Mod thread for how to open the handle and add weight to fill in the hollow space in the handle.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
does anyone know how to remove the lens from stiga clipper without damaging it? probably @Der_Echte will know :D

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
does anyone know how to remove the lens from stiga clipper without damaging it? probably @Der_Echte will know :

I do not attempt to remove the lens... I use a heat gun to SLOWLY (like take 5 minutes) heat up the handle, then slide in a thin knife to separate the handle. After that, you can fill everything in as much as you want.

If you want less added weight, drop in a little hide glue, add some toothpick, add hide glue... layer it like that using mostly tooth picks to fill in the empty space... you will add 10 grams or less, which works well for a lot of people, I usually add 15-20 grams.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wing,

I would avoid taping a bolt to the bottom, the vibration feedback feeling would be terrible. If you are not willing to take off a handle and fill in with glue and reinforcing material, then grip tape is about the only thing remaining to add weight to balance out the blade.

If one does the wrap job well, you can enhance the leverage your fingers get when they activate so to whip the bat at the very end. Some custom made blades have handles large enough shaped well enough to do this, other friends got this with the wrap job.

Reactions: WingTT