I bought a spare racket but the feel is different?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
So i play with a XIOM 5-ply wood, and really liked my racket. I thought I would get a spare racket in case my current one will break. I made sure to get the exact same weight, 86g. I mounted the new blade with the exact same rubbers, but the feeling between the blades are very different. I have much better feeling my first blade which i have played with for about 1 year now.

Is this due to sweat, moisture or glue, or what is going on here?
I bought the 2nd blade for the excellent feel, and if i have to spend a lot of time getting used to it, i feel like i might as well have gotten a carbon blade..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
Maybe you need to get a similar amount of hitting time with the new bat as you have made with the old bat?
In other words might you be detecting the difference between brand new rubbers and well used ones?

Reactions: SamTheMan and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Could be due to break in but wood can be inconsistent. Different trees of the same species growing in different environments could vary in hardness and density and other physical properties. You so happened not to win the wood lottery the second time. No harm trying again till you get something you like and selling off the ones you don't to maybe your club mates who may love it.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
In other words might you be detecting the difference between brand new rubbers and well used ones?
Yep, for a start i would rip the old rubber off your first blade and glue it on to the new one.
Also , rubbers are known to be inconsistent in their qualities.
If these test should prove that your new blade is really very different don't persist with it, it will screw up your game, get rid of it and try again.