Fs : 1-plh Kiso Hinoki Blades

This user has no status.
Hello,

I have in stock 9 planks of 350/400 years Kiso Hinoki. There are 2 grades : A & A+

I offer them for sale accompanied by a full customization service. You can choose the shape and aesthetics of the handle as well as the shape, dimensions and thickness of the blade.

Don’t hesitate to contact me for more informations !

A-grade

A+ grade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
What kind of tree is it from ? there are actually 5 Kiso species, and some of them are in the IUCN Red List as endangered specie.

This user has no status.
What kind of tree is it from ? there are actually 5 Kiso species, and some of them are in the IUCN Red List as endangered specie.
There is a protection plan against excessive felling of Kiso Hinoki trees. In 10 years, the protection plan will be complete and it will be prohibited to cut an Hinoki from Kiso.

From this moment it will be necessary to wait at least 250 years before being able to cut and use it again.

I bought these planks to a Japanese craftsman who restaured an old Japanese temple. So I don’t contribuate to the excessive felling of the trees.

I know many things about these wood specie😉

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Hinoki is the japanese name for cypresses natives from Japan, there are taxonomies, genuses and species for cypresses and false cypresses, here for hinoki it's named chamaecyparis, and actually sawara is a kiso hinoki, sir, a yellow-ish kiso hinoki, also known as chamaecyparis pisifera specie, not endangered.

But the chamaecyparis obtusa specie is near threatened, it's what we name commonly Japan Cypress or Hinoki Cypress.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
To me cutting something that takes 350/400 years to fully mature is not sustainable. It's exactly the same as Madagascar ebony or brazilian rosewood.

This user has no status.
Hinoki is the japanese name for cypresses natives from Japan, there are taxonomies, genuses and species for cypresses and false cypresses, here for hinoki it's named chamaecyparis, and actually sawara is a kiso hinoki, sir, a yellow-ish kiso hinoki, also known as chamaecyparis pisifera specie, not endangered.

But the chamaecyparis obtusa specie is near threatened, it's what we name commonly Japan Cypress or Hinoki Cypress.

Sorry to tell you that but it's not completely true.
Kiso Hinoki is one type of chamaecyparis tree. But all chamaecyparis trees are not Kiso Hinoki. Also 3 of the 5 trees in the kiso valley are not chamaecyparis, and only one chamaecyparis obtusa (hinoki)

People call all the cypresses and coniferous trees «Hinoki » but they are wrong.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
To me cutting something that takes 350/400 years to fully mature is not sustainable. It's exactly the same as Madagascar ebony or brazilian rosewood.
This tree was cut for temples, it’s religious and it symbolises many things for Japanese people. It’s one of the only reason that still pelts the felling of these trees.

As I said I bought these planks to a craftsman who restored a temple. I don’t have thousands of cubic meters, only 9 planks so less than 1 square meter.

Rather than using it for something else he preferred to sell them to me so that I could benefit the table tennis players.

I will only sell this to people aware of what they have in their hands and who will take care of it

This user has no status.
I think you are wrong in your reasoning. There a 5 type of trees in the Kiso valley:

• Sawara / chamaecyparis pisifera : Also known as false cypress

• Nezuko / Thuja standishii : A type of Thuja

• Asuhi / Thujopsis dolabrata : Another type of Thuja

• Koya Maki / Pinus Pinea : A type of umbrella Pine

• Hinoki / chamaecyparis obtusa : The Japanese cypress!!

All these 5 trees are coniferous trees but only one is a really Japanese cypress: Hinoki!

But people don’t see the difference between them and call all the coniferous trees as Hinoki.

Also there are 6 types of chamaecyparis in the world and only one in Japan : chamaecyparis obtusa (hinoki)

Okay the Kiso Hinoki / chamaecyparis obtusa is endangered but I bought them for a good reason.

I also want to clarify that the wood was not cut today but years ago when the restriction did not exist yet.

So If you only want to give your disputing opinion, please leave this topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lazer and dingyibvs
I think you are wrong in your reasoning. There a 5 type of trees in the Kiso valley:

• Sawara / chamaecyparis pisifera : Also known as false cypress

• Nezuko / Thuja standishii : A type of Thuja

• Asuhi / Thujopsis dolabrata : Another type of Thuja

• Koya Maki / Pinus Pinea : A type of umbrella Pine

• Hinoki / chamaecyparis obtusa : The Japanese cypress!!

All these 5 trees are coniferous trees but only one is a really Japanese cypress: Hinoki!

But people don’t see the difference between them and call all the coniferous trees as Hinoki.

Also there are 6 types of chamaecyparis in the world and only one in Japan : chamaecyparis obtusa (hinoki)

Okay the Kiso Hinoki / chamaecyparis obtusa is endangered but I bought them for a good reason.

I also want to clarify that the wood was not cut today but years ago when the restriction did not exist yet.

So If you only want to give your disputing opinion, please leave this topic.
If they weren’t so damn fast I would get one, soon Hinoki will not be available anymore…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Nico_03
This user has no status.
If they weren’t so damn fast I would get one, soon Hinoki will not be available anymore…

Cheers
L-zr

Hello,

I totally understand this, but don’t forget that there is a full customisation service. So if 9/10mm is too thick we can lower it😉 It’s not common but I already saw 7mm Kiso Hinoki blades.

This user has no status.
I realize this but for 1 pliers, the the thinner the weaker and more susceptible to warping. But the idea is tantalizing.

Cheers
L-zr

Personally I don’t think that the warping is the most likely to happen but rather the breakage of the blade.

It’s a precious and fragile wood but if you pay attention to it there should be no problem.

Also for the speed it depend if you tried 10mm or 9mm.
If you tried 10mm, you can try 8,5mm or 9mm.
If you tried 9mm, you can try 8/8,5mm or even 7,5mm.

To reduce the speed there are several possibilities:
• reduce the thickness to lose the weight and stiffness of the blade
• increase the weight on the handle to counterbalance
• reduce a little bit the thickness but increase the dimensions to have more flexibility
• etc.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Friend Nico,

I am a user of One Ply Kiso Hinoki, 10.5mm to be specific. I have chosen 10.5mm because I wanted to emulate my idol, Kim Taek Soo.

However, my question to you is, at what thickness does a one ply hinoki becomes unplayable? What I am saying is, what is the limit to its thickness that render it unplayable. Thank you.

This user has no status.
Friend Nico,

I am a user of One Ply Kiso Hinoki, 10.5mm to be specific. I have chosen 10.5mm because I wanted to emulate my idol, Kim Taek Soo.

However, my question to you is, at what thickness does a one ply hinoki becomes unplayable? What I am saying is, what is the limit to its thickness that render it unplayable. Thank you.
Hello,

I’ve never seen a Kiso Hinoki blade which is less than 7mm so I think it’s the minimum required to be playable.

It would be interesting to do a test but given its rarity I prefer to avoid this idea😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
That looks great. Btw I read that hinoki can be susceptible to breaking. Wouldn't a 7mm single ply blade be more susceptible to breaking than a 10mm one?

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hello,

I’ve never seen a Kiso Hinoki blade which is less than 7mm so I think it’s the minimum required to be playable.

It would be interesting to do a test but given its rarity I prefer to avoid this idea😂

So 7mm is the thinnest, what about the maximum upper limit for playability? 11? 12? 13 or 14mm? ...