Having a hard time playing TT

This user has no status.
Hi guys. By the way I'm a Penholder. I'm just finished my training with my coach today. I find it hard to drills with other player in the club where I was playing specifically forehand to forehand drills and backhand to backhand drills). I was thinking about how should I improve my controls. Sometimes my coach told me that I should hit the ball in consistently in just one area(on his forehand side). Because sometimes the ball goes to different direction of the table where my coach was having a hard time to hit it on my forehand area. And I played with his friend just a drill(forehand to forehand) and he told me that don't chop it with my forehand eventhough my racket angled to 45 degrees and I was thinking that I'm not chopping it. And my coach said brush it a little bit and when I was brushing a little bit the ball doesnt hit the table and I was like scared on drilling because sometimes the ball are going to nowhere on the table. Any comment? By the way the drills that we are doing is before the match starts. Thanks and God Bless you all.

This user has no status.
By the way, I'm not a regular player of TT in a week. mostly once a week because of my hectic schedule. I'm still college and having a class 7 days a week so that's why. And I'm getting frustrated. It is also hard for me because I do have 1 friend who can play TT but he has no time to play with me because our schedule of class are conflict. So It's like I'm just playing with myself and pursuing my dreams to be a good table tennis player.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
First of all you have a very good blade and your rubbers also looks very good; which means that your equipment is perfect.

Since i am myself a penholder,and have learnt bulk of the stuff on my own(we dont have any penhold coaches around), my FH and BH(RPB) work perfectly fine during counters; and i am myself surprised with my RPB sometimes, as it is more consistent than my FH. I am not sure where exactly you are going wrong, if its just a question of counter, then keep your left leg forward and right leg slightly back, then lean a little in the front and keep the bat slightly tilted(towards the ground) and PRACTICE HARD.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have a friend. I have watched him, when he hits with players who are not as good as him, he hits slowly and very consistently. I noticed when he hits with me, he tries to hit really fast and my shots, even when I am just trying to do simple counter hits have a little too much spin and a little too much pace for him. The result is that the ball starts going all over the place. I have figured out that if I ask him to slow it down we get consistent placement and then, slowly we can pick up the pace and keep the consistency.

I don't know if this will apply for you, but try to slow things down and just focus on consistency for a while. After a few weeks of that, you might be able to pick up the pace and increase the spin and keep the consistency. But it is hard to get consistency if the ball is going all over the place and you don't slow things down to a point where you can place the ball where you want it to go.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Are you hitting through the ball instead of hitting it upwards with a brushing action?:)

And I played with his friend just a drill(forehand to forehand) and he told me that don't chop it with my forehand eventhough my racket angled to 45 degrees and I was thinking that I'm not chopping it. And my coach said brush it a little bit and when I was brushing a little bit the ball doesnt hit the table and I was like scared on drilling because sometimes the ball are going to nowhere on the table.

This user has no status.
I have a friend. I have watched him, when he hits with players who are not as good as him, he hits slowly and very consistently. I noticed when he hits with me, he tries to hit really fast and my shots, even when I am just trying to do simple counter hits have a little too much spin and a little too much pace for him. The result is that the ball starts going all over the place. I have figured out that if I ask him to slow it down we get consistent placement and then, slowly we can pick up the pace and keep the consistency.

I don't know if this will apply for you, but try to slow things down and just focus on consistency for a while. After a few weeks of that, you might be able to pick up the pace and increase the spin and keep the consistency. But it is hard to get consistency if the ball is going all over the place and you don't slow things down to a point where you can place the ball where you want it to go.

That's what I'm also thinking. They are I will say professional enough and played with their entire life that's why they can do that easily and they are making it spinnier and faster than what my normal is. but when I first played with my racket with another beginner whom I met at the other club. I consistently hitting the ball at just one place. Thank you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
u should practice ur forehand to develop consistency and hit slowly to develop ur stroke. Ur forehand rubber has a really hard sponge which is quite hard to use if u dont have good technique, u may should use a rubber with a softer sponge until u get better.

Thank you for your comment sir. I agree with you that I should start slowly stroking. Maybe I just don't find a right partner to drill with. thank you

This user has no status.
Are you hitting through the ball instead of hitting it upwards with a brushing action?:)

Yes I do. But still the ball goes nowhere and sometimes it goes out of the table because of the speed and spin of my partner. I don't know why my coach(by the way, I payed my coach when I go to ask him to train me) do that to me. when we drills he don't slows down I don't know If he doing the right way or he should slow his stroke when we drills to develop my control. And he also ask his friend to drill with me faster than my coach do. Does he do the right way for you?

Mar 2011
If you think it's too fast or too much spin, let him know. If he doesn't listen, then get another coach. It's not doing you any good buddy. The gang were right when they say to pick up the speed slowly as the rally progresses. But if he starts at 100mph, then it will be difficult.

From the way you said earlier, I some how knew that you're hitting through the ball:) Hit it with an upward motion. Don't have to be hard, just control loop it back to him. If the ball still goes long, incline the face of the bat more. If the ball dips and goes into the net, your timing is off. Just keep at it, you'll get it in a jiff. :)

This user has no status.
If you think it's too fast or too much spin, let him know. If he doesn't listen, then get another coach. It's not doing you any good buddy. The gang were right when they say to pick up the speed slowly as the rally progresses. But if he starts at 100mph, then it will be difficult.

From the way you said earlier, I some how knew that you're hitting through the ball:) Hit it with an upward motion. Don't have to be hard, just control loop it back to him. If the ball still goes long, incline the face of the bat more. If the ball dips and goes into the net, your timing is off. Just keep at it, you'll get it in a jiff. :)

Thank you so much sir Azlan. Maybe I'll find another coach because sometimes he feels Irritated when I'm not doing well in my opinion. haha.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I think you need to relax on your expectations PingPonger. From what I'm reading you're going through some very normal problem areas for players that only play casually. If you want to become a good TT player you must practice more than 1 day a week. Ideally 5-10 hours a week are best and 3-4 days per week is a great time frame for the advanced player even semi-professional levels.

You must not expect to be the next Wang Hao from practicing 1 day week and if you are only practicing 1 day a week I would recommend practicing only 1 thing at a time until you master it. Many Chinese players will first master their FH before even learning the BH strokes except the BH block. So if you are a penholder I recommend focusing mostly on your forehand for maybe 1 month and then switching to your BH the next month. Then in between you can always practice service at home or before you do your drills even if it is only 5-10 minutes each day you train.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hard to tell with being there or at least watching a few minutes of vid. All I can say at this point is to not expect perfection right away (already mentioned0 and slow the power down from 100 to 70 percent, focus on position, crouch, hitting ball in strike zone, balance, and basics like that and you should be fine.

If we se some vids, we can prolly help you trouble shoot the shots better.

This user has no status.
Hard to tell with being there or at least watching a few minutes of vid. All I can say at this point is to not expect perfection right away (already mentioned0 and slow the power down from 100 to 70 percent, focus on position, crouch, hitting ball in strike zone, balance, and basics like that and you should be fine.

If we se some vids, we can prolly help you trouble shoot the shots better.

I'm focusing on that one but because of the power and the spin of their shots I can't hit it perfectly. But one time that I did drills with other who are not giving their full power and spin I can do it perfectly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
pingponger, what is your racket?sometimes shots tend to make be erratic when not hit properly especially with the wrong rubber/blade set up.

u can look for demo/training video on the net to show you the correct form and do shadowing (doing the strokes with your racket but not the table) then when you do have the chance to play, do what you have learned from watching

Mar 2011
Thank you so much sir Azlan. Maybe I'll find another coach because sometimes he feels Irritated when I'm not doing well in my opinion. haha.

Yeah mate, it's odd that he gets irritated. I've seen a lot of that too, and I think it's disheartening for the trainees. He may find the shots easy, but others may not. If he's good, there's no problem returning stray shots from you, and returned them good back to you.

This user has no status.
pingponger, what is your racket?sometimes shots tend to make be erratic when not hit properly especially with the wrong rubber/blade set up.

u can look for demo/training video on the net to show you the correct form and do shadowing (doing the strokes with your racket but not the table) then when you do have the chance to play, do what you have learned from watching

Thank you sir daxx for the comment. my blade is YEO and my rubbers are TG3 Neo(FH) and Sriver EL(BH)

This user has no status.
Yeah mate, it's odd that he gets irritated. I've seen a lot of that too, and I think it's disheartening for the trainees. He may find the shots easy, but others may not. If he's good, there's no problem returning stray shots from you, and returned them good back to you.

That's what I feel. Sometimes when he's irritated I just want to stop training because I feel down when he feel like that. And he once tried to copy what I did(which is the ball goes everywhere) and I felt bad.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That's what I'm also thinking. They are I will say professional enough and played with their entire life that's why they can do that easily and they are making it spinnier and faster than what my normal is. but when I first played with my racket with another beginner whom I met at the other club. I consistently hitting the ball at just one place. Thank you.

And if their shots are spinnier and faster than what you are used to, that makes it a lot harder for you to put the ball in the same place every time. Ask them if they can slow it down a little and ask them if it is possible for them to put a little less spin. If they are good enough, they should be able to do that.