Education of Ma Long

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
The Chinese government wants to show an excellent example of how superior its system is; i.e. #1 in the world TT player graduated in one of the most prestige universities in China.

Don't be surprised. We have some good athletes at so-so universities too, graduated with a minimum passing grade. However, these US athletes go to these universities as high school talents, not famous professionals like the genius ML who trained, competed all year round and still had time to finish education. Let's ask him face to face a simple question what the differences are in macro and micro economics and see how he responds ;).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
China General Adminstration of Sports recommend many good athletes to universities without entrance exam. It is nothing special and one does not have to be WR#1 to be recommended and admitted by top Chinese universities like Shanghai Jiaoting U.
2019 Mar, Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu were recommended and admitted to Shanghai Jiaotong U, and the same major as ML. So was Peng Feilong. How many here knows him? He is from Shanghai, member of Shanghai provincial team who won National Games team champion. And no surprise, almost all CNT players from Shanghai are Shanghai Jiaotong U alumni or student including WLQ, XX, Shang Kun, Zhao Zihao.
Shanghai Jiaotong U did require CNT players to take classes and exams. It took ML 6 years to get enough credits for graduation. It took WLQ even longer. And LGZ who didn't attend classes at Shanghai Jiaotong U didn't get the degree at last.
So it is not surprising that China GAS offer CNT athletes good opportunity for education. But top universities do have regulations and requirements for graduation that these athletes have to meet.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I assume these athletes did not have good education bf university due to amount of time training. How could they survive a top university even if they got a free pass for the admission?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
How could they survive a top university even if they got a free pass for the admission?

Here's your racist answer.

global-iq-scores-black-white-asian-hispanic-arab-large.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I don't think that map shows/explains how M.L. got thru a top rated university
Do u really need serious answers?
1. SJU sent professors to Beijing to give lectures to SJU students in CNT including ML, Yu Ziyang and etc. ML went to SJU in Shanghai to take classes and exams. There were pictures. It means that ML does not train 24/7, he can have time to study.
2. SJU requires fewer credits for athletes to graduate, like 140-150 for general students, 100-130 for athletes. It is speculated that the exams for athletes are easier but no proof.
3. ML is among the few players who CNT coaches think can play with brain. It is not difficult to imagine he can study with brain.
4. As I mentioned, CNT players who got admitted to SJU and graduated from SJU are not all that famous or accomplished compared to ML. If they can do it, why not ML?
5. This is what ML read from news . 2018, Savage Continent: Europe in the Aftermath of World War II. 2019, Jerusalem: The Biography. Of course the translated editions. It is self education and self improvement. Please don't ask me why he needs to read this kind of books and how he can understand this kind of books if you think passing exams to get a diploma from SJU too hard for him.

Jan 2018
I don't think that map shows/explains how M.L. got thru a top rated university

bA0hYjs.jpg

That map wasn't posted to address how ML sneaked into the prestigious university. It points out how many Western countries have average IQs that do not line up with the typical level of education. Why is that?

Anyone who has attended college/university would know that there's this thing called major. As soon as you look through the respective curricula, you'd notice one thing. They are different in complexity.

https://nobaproject.com/modules/intellectual-abilities-interests-and-mastery
original.jpg

Figure 3. Average z scores of participants on verbal, spatial, and mathematical ability for terminal bachelor’s degrees, terminal master’s degrees, and doctoral degrees are plotted by field. The groups are plotted in rank order of their normative standing on g (verbal [V] + spatial + mathematical [M]) along the x-axis, and the line with the arrows from each field pointing to it indicates on the continuous scale where they are in general mental ability in z-score units. This figure is standardized in relation to all participants with complete ability data at the time of initial testing.

In case that plot is too hard to understand
64427-59535.png

In a nutshell, so long as these players are not illiterate, most of them will have little trouble handling the non-technical majors. This is why many of them choose to major in Business and Finance. Ok?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Thanks for your serious info. It helps to explain how they get thru a top university but maybe not completely. It was hard for me to understand how people with less education foundation could compete in a top university. ML is my hero. This was a question in general and not specifically with him in mind.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
bA0hYjs.jpg

That map wasn't posted to address how ML sneaked into the prestigious university. It points out how many Western countries have average IQs that do not line up with the typical level of education. Why is that?

Anyone who has attended college/university would know that there's this thing called major. As soon as you look through the respective curricula, you'd notice one thing. They are different in complexity.

https://nobaproject.com/modules/intellectual-abilities-interests-and-mastery
original.jpg

Figure 3. Average z scores of participants on verbal, spatial, and mathematical ability for terminal bachelor’s degrees, terminal master’s degrees, and doctoral degrees are plotted by field. The groups are plotted in rank order of their normative standing on g (verbal [V] + spatial + mathematical [M]) along the x-axis, and the line with the arrows from each field pointing to it indicates on the continuous scale where they are in general mental ability in z-score units. This figure is standardized in relation to all participants with complete ability data at the time of initial testing.

In case that plot is too hard to understand
64427-59535.png

In a nutshell, so long as these players are not illiterate, most of them will have little trouble handling the non-technical majors. This is why many of them choose to major in Business and Finance. Ok?

Do u really need serious answers?
1. SJU sent professors to Beijing to give lectures to SJU students in CNT including ML, Yu Ziyang and etc. ML went to SJU in Shanghai to take classes and exams. There were pictures. It means that ML does not train 24/7, he can have time to study.
2. SJU requires fewer credits for athletes to graduate, like 140-150 for general students, 100-130 for athletes. It is speculated that the exams for athletes are easier but no proof.
3. ML is among the few players who CNT coaches think can play with brain. It is not difficult to imagine he can study with brain.
4. As I mentioned, CNT players who got admitted to SJU and graduated from SJU are not all that famous or accomplished compared to ML. If they can do it, why not ML?
5. This is what ML read from news . 2018, Savage Continent: Europe in the Aftermath of World War II. 2019, Jerusalem: The Biography. Of course the translated editions. It is self education and self improvement. Please don't ask me why he needs to read this kind of books and how he can understand this kind of books if you think passing exams to get a diploma from SJU too hard for him.
Sure Finance is easier but still not a cakewalk (in a top University)

Here's your racist answer.

cache.php

Thats all OK, but I want to make some remarks.

First, about the map:
"These numbers came from a work carried out from 2002 to 2006 by
Richard Lynn, a British Professor of Psychology, and Tatu Vanhanen, a
Finnish Professor of Political Science, who conducted IQ studies in
more than 80 countries.

Richard and Tatu argues that differences in national income are
correlated with differences in the average national intelligence
quotient (IQ). They further argue that differences in average national
IQs constitute one important factor, but not the only one,
contributing to differences in national wealth and rates of economic
growth.

These results are controversial and have caused much debate, they must
be interpreted with extreme caution.
"

I'm a MENSA member and my three children are MENSA members since they were 11 years old, perticipating in the "MENSA for children" project. My older son was a curator in MENSA and perticipated in the organization and execiuion of a great number of official IQ tests. I have seen many chartered engineers and MSc in all fields of science, who fail to get a reasonable IQ score, and we have seen many low qualification workers taking the test with an IQ score to qualify for a MENSA membership. After 18 years of dealing with this I have to say that the results of these IQ tests do not mean anything in regard of personal capabilities in whatever science.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
On the morning of June 13, 2019, Zhang Jike , master of business management, returned to University of scince and Technology in Tianjin to defend hisdissertation. After self-reporting and answering the questions of the respondent experts, the panelists of the responding group collectively commented that Zhang jike'S thesis reached the level of the master's thesis of the major, and through the defense, it is recommended that the degree committee grant him a master's degree in management

006x8evbly1g3zei3lhjmj31400u0dko.jpg

0062gCaFly1g3zhe2xch4j30zk0qowhx.jpg

6d52575egy1g3zi0k09tcj20dz0gvdgd.jpg

June is the graduation season, and this time Zhang Jike appeared in his alma mater to defend his master's thesis, which naturally attracted the attention of many fans! Zhang Jike is not a small popularity. As soon as he appeared on campus, he was surrounded by many fans and asked for a signature.

68fa5aabgy1g3zp6dlpdvj20fa0nqqqv.jpg

006o60wzly1g3znyumn1ij30j60o4dib.jpg

Among them, there were fans who took pictures of Zhang Jike’s reply on the stage. The expression was very serious, especially after the hands were placed on the back. Although Zhang Jike has gone through various international stages, this year's thesis defense is no less than an international competition. Standing in front of a few majestic instructors, Zhang Jike is still a bit nervous, while showing the results of his thesis, while using gestures to ease the pressure.

0062gCaFly1g3zhe40j8yj30qo0zkn35.jpg

87ad8863ly1g3zg3y9uwsj23402c01ky.jpg

It is reported that Zhang Jike's thesis topic is the marketing strategy of table tennis professional club

Chinese team care about education . Zhang jike along side Hao shuai and Fang bo were defending their thesis

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Ma Long graduated from Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Antai College of Economics and Management. His Thesis is about Marketing strategy of China Table Tennis Super League.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
The main factors in academic success are no different from anything - self-discipline and capacity for hard work. Kids who play internationally high-level TT (everywhere) have a strong tendency to get outstanding grades despite training many hours of TT daily. Is it because they are all geniuses? Of course not. They don't mess around and waste time, they work. It's that simple.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Ma Long graduated from one of the very top universities in China, their version of an Ivy League school. I for one am skeptical that he actually did much real work there, even though I admire his table tennis as much as anyone.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I have a few stories to tell about this. I teach at a university in the US (I have former doctoral students who are now faculty at Chinese and Taiwanese universities). In addition, quite a few years ago I became close friends with a Chinese coach who later went back to China, where he continued to coach TT. (Some day I will relate the kind of sad story about this guy's experience in the US).

Not too long after he went back to China, I went to China to give some talks on my research at Chinese universities (in Wuhan, Beijin and Hefei). In Wuhan I met up with my friend, and we spent several days playing, which was a blast. We actually played at several places, each one of which was amazing in terms of playing conditions. One place he took me was a table tennis school (kids started there when they were about ten years old, and lived at the school). I played several of these kids (12-14 year olds) and was routinely annihilated without mercy. I met a couple of coaches (got a free lesson), got a feeling for how the kids spent their days. They played a lot of TT each day, obviously, but my impression is that other aspects of their education were not neglected up until they reached a certain age, around 14 or so, when the TT became a lot more emphasized. For example, some of the kids could speak a bit of English. I never could figure out what the older kids ended up doing if they didn't make city or provincial teams (and most of them probably didn't, if for the simple fact that there were too many of them).

In addition to that experience, a few years later I learned that one of my Chinese students here in the US had attended a TT school in another place but had stopped when he was 14 because his parents realized that while he might make the provincial team where he came from (because it was one of the weakest in China) but that beyond that he would have no real future except as a coach. So he transferred to regular schools, worked hard, and eventually was able to come to study at my university in the US (as an undergraduate, which is a bit unusual, it is more common for Chinese students to come here for graduate programs, but his parents have quite a bit of money I think). He ended up getting a MS degree in engineering, got married, got a green card, has nice job here now and will not be going back. But he told me quite a bit about what his life was like at the TT school because we used to play fairly regularly for a couple of years. Later he just stopped playing. I suspect he mainly played with me out of friendship but didn't actually enjoy TT so much.

I have a pretty good understanding of the rigor of top level Chinese universities, but ALSO how the Chinese government keeps a close eye on their universities (and the faculty) and at the end of the day the top Party official makes many key decisions, which would include making sure that some of their favorite people are awarded degrees. So those experiences inform my opinions about a lot of what I see in this thread.

Last edited: