local tournament - my results

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Hi guys,

This weekend I represented my organization in an inter-corporate tournament. A little bit of background: I started learning tt from September last year. I play every weekend with a coach. This is my 3rd tournament so far. I played a tournament last November and one in February. I have never won a singles match before.

On saturday, I went to the tournament with 6 months of training behind me. I knew I could win a few matches. But I was also nervous from the time I woke up. In the team event, I lost my first 2 singles matches (best of 3, to my horror). I faced an unorthodox right-hander who had a good BH push and counter but no FH. In the next I lost to a lefty. I lost the 1st game and leveled it in the next, only to lose the 3rd. My loops were not landing. I came to know that in hot and humid conditions one has to take a full swing for loops.. have you felt the same?
Lesson: There's no time to get things right in best of 3's. Have to be spot on from the 1st point.
I won my next singles match against what was supposed to be my toughest match of the day. Against a right handed counter player, I got him into pushes and kept him pinned to his backhand. I won it 2-1. Our team finished 3rd in our group and we played for the silver cup. I was up against a chopper this time. My first competitive match against a chopper and I was so confused. I lost 3-0. That guy would win the men's singles on sunday. :)

On sunday, it was time for the men's singles. By now, I knew what to expect. My loop was consistent and I managed to win the first 2 rounds 3-0. 3rd round was against an anti-spin player. He had an old Mark V on one side and Yasaka antipower on BH. I couldn't do much against him and lost meekly. -1,-6,-1. I will try to upload the video of this match.

On the whole, it was a great experience. I played against a variety of styles, serves and rubbers. I am sure I will do better in my next tournament. Need to work more on serve, receive and playing against pimples and antispin rubbers.

Thanks for reading.. Have fun playing!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
I am really interested in your tourname game . Hope will read your story next time!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Got the videos!

- 2nd round match that I won.. I am the one wearing specs and in shorts.. unfortunately, the first game that I won 20-18 is not in the video..

- 3rd round.. I lost this match.. the red rubber of my opponent is Yasaka antipower..

Let me know what I doing right in these games.. :) I know everything else is wrong.. hahaha! Just kidding.. feel free to critique..

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
In your match on top vid, you made a point on almost every heavy loop you gave him, but on faster loops with a little less spin, he blocked them to an uncomfortable spot and he won nearly all those points. Realize your opponent and what he does. This on did nothing but block and pick hit. You can also win points vs this guy by landing your loop very shallow, he never moves.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Too many mistakes in your 3rd round match buddy. :) Great effort nonetheless. You just having problems these sort of alternative players.
Playing against long pips and antis can be daunting, especially if you're not use to play against them. These players uses spin reversal and floaters to deceive you, making you feel very uncomfortable. But it can also be very easy for you and uncomfortable FOR THEM if you understand how these rubbers work. :)

Mar 2011
Too many mistakes in your 3rd round match buddy. :) Great effort nonetheless. You just having problems these sort of alternative players.
Playing against long pips and antis can be daunting, especially if you're not use to play against them. These players uses spin reversal and floaters to deceive you, making you feel very uncomfortable. But it can also be very easy for you and uncomfortable FOR THEM if you understand how these rubbers work. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Thanks Azlan! Yeah.. too many mistakes. I wasted a lot of high balls.. I was in two minds every ball, whether to smash or loop. On my serve, I tried avoiding the anti and playing to his forehand. But he returned my sidespin serve with heavy cut. I was not able to loop this. In BH to BH push exchange he twiddles the blade. I noticed it but couldn't change my ingrained habit of pushing it back. He earned many kill shots with this tactic.

Need to practice once in a while against these sort of alternative rubbers too.

Mar 2011
I could only see him twiddling only during serves, but I could be wrong. Anyway, here's a tip for you buddy. If you're up against an anti player who doesn't have an offensive BH like that again, serve him a nice soft floater to his BH, see if he can chop that:)..the ball is going to come back to you with very very little spin. Spin the ball back with a closed angle racket. Never open up your racket as if you're looping a against a backspin (the ball will go long).

BUT, if you loop to his BH and he returned it, you have to open up your racket a bit more coz that's gonna be heavy. Get a friend with long pips or anti and do this.
Serve, topspin, push, topspin, push..do it alternately and you'll understand why. You can attack more once you understand the behaviour of the ball. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
azlan has said it all...i would just add up...while playing anti rubbers be very patient....there is no point trying an audacious forehand loop losing all your balance in the process...go for short but sure loops....brush the ball...unless the opponent is an extremely fit player....you will generally prevail.remember, for anti's thier strength is also thier areas of weaknesses...so don't be scared playing against the anti side...practise a lot of top spins from deep cut balls...it should be enough to start off.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Yes, in the 3rd match you might have been a little bit too nervous. I'd suggest you if you play against someone who doesn't have an offensive BH serve him a ldeep sidespin serve to his BH. If you do this, your opponent will surely have no time to move to play with his FH and you should win those points a bit easier.

BUT you should be various in every part of the game because if you don't do it soon or late your opponent will start to guess your shots. And if you manage to push him about 3-4 metres from the table use sometimes a sidespin dropshot if you have the technique. :)