Receiving very strong backspin?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
hello everyone! okay so i have been competing with my schoolmates for the varsity spot in the past few days...and the next match is tomorrow...and while we were training this guy wanted to practice his 3rd balls with me so he wanted me to push his serves....but i made so many errors in my pushes because his service was so strong...i was already pushing it yet it went straight to the net...it happened a few times....when i tried "lifting" the ball it went over but he was able to topspin super strong because it was long with no spin....so i was wondering...how should i go about learning to recieve strong backspin services? i have encountered different serves but this pure backspin short serve im having a hard time returning...any tips? thanks!

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
I think you should just show your bat.. not try to put more spin on it.. much like how you play against a chop.. the spin on the ball will carry it over.. at the same time, because you are not pushing it forward the ball will most likely bounce twice on the other side.. I guess this is the safest option..

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's something you have to find the right touch for, you need to have soft hands, keep your body low and head close to your bat when you go in for the ball. Some balls will have too much backspin on and you will have to just touch the ball and let it go over, others you may find you have the opportunity to be a bit firmer with. Remember in training where you have been asked to push long it's not so much a problem, in a match don't forget you have the option of pushing short, which may present itself as a better option for you if you find pushing it long too difficult. If you really can't get any backspin on the return you need to think about making the placement more difficult :)

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
If there is too much backspin on the ball, then try to open your bat nearly horizontally and gently guide the ball SHORT over the net without adding more speed or spin. Try to remove any speed from you touching the ball.
If you don't get too much backspin from your opponent, you should either attack or push with extra underspin deep into his weakest spot - very often deep into the backhand side.

Good luck with that, let us know if it works out for you...

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If it is short and heavy, you have to step in. PPP or someone has it on hte head. Your position and balanace allow you to see the ball and use teh body to control your move-in. You take the ball REAL early, like a few cm from bounce. SOFT hand and SOFT grip. Takes a lot of experimenting around, but you can get that touch if you do it enough. Your grip will control a lot of the depth as well as where you impact the ball. Go under the ball and forward with a SMALL follow through and bounce back that hitting leg to open stance as you will likely get a long ball to attack.

You can also try to hit through the ball, but it has to be at the height of bounce to have any chance of landing. If you time it right and opponent served a cm or two higher than net, you can do this shot and suprise the daylights outta your opponent. It also takes timing, position, and a lot of bat speed at impact.

You can also do the "Bananna" flick where you are swiping an axis perpendicular to the spin, so the spin does not bite the rubber and you control the ball in. it is not a powerful return, but a safe one.

These are the kind of threads I like seeing, asking about, and participating in.

says best price burner irons best price rbz irons...
says best price burner irons best price rbz irons...
Jun 2012
maybe you have to try several times to get feeling and then practice it more with the feeling.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
thanks for all the tips! i tried almost all of them...just "tapping" the ball short (pushing but not really putting backspin on it) i was able to return most of his services....but his 3rd ball attack is very good...even though i push it short....and i know how to do the "banana" flick der_echte was talking about...but they wer really slow...so i decided to just do plain flat backhand flicks....with a bit of sidespin so basically half banana hahah and it worked out well! ofcourse i had to make variations but i won! im varsity now!! after training at school every monday wednesday and friday for 3-5 hours it has finally payed off!! thanks for everyones tips!! i appreciate it all so much!!! since im varsity i was told ill be joining a tournement this coming august! my first REAL tournament!! i need to train more hahah Thanks everyone! Godbless! takecare!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
thanks for all the tips! i tried almost all of them...just "tapping" the ball short (pushing but not really putting backspin on it) i was able to return most of his services....but his 3rd ball attack is very good...even though i push it short....and i know how to do the "banana" flick der_echte was talking about...but they wer really slow...so i decided to just do plain flat backhand flicks....with a bit of sidespin so basically half banana hahah and it worked out well! ofcourse i had to make variations but i won! im varsity now!! after training at school every monday wednesday and friday for 3-5 hours it has finally payed off!! thanks for everyones tips!! i appreciate it all so much!!! since im varsity i was told ill be joining a tournement this coming august! my first REAL tournament!! i need to train more hahah Thanks everyone! Godbless! takecare!

nice 1, anyway i know that if he can do a third ball attack on your return then it means that the return still pops up, its 1 of my weakness actually so i did a lot of training on it with my coach its really hard to keep it tight, short and low sometimes

May 2011
What does 'varsity' mean?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
here in the philippines it means a group of chosen students from a university that represents that certain university in the field of sports its mostly used here in basketball teams, but certainly it can also be used on different sports aside from basketball as long as you represent your school/university, and before you become a varsity player you have to undergo try outs and be chosen by the coach as a member

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
its like team 1 so like when we have a tournament with other schools ill be representing :)

btw so i always had a pendelum topspin service (really short but side-top...at first ud think its a backspin then it will bounce like crazy...)
and people usually try push it and either miss or it goes long....but for the first time i fought a college varsity and he does the same serve sometimes....
and i just couldnt return it myself! haha now i know why other people have a hard time with it...do i just simply block it or seomthing? haha

This user has no status.
My Coach thought me how to attack a very strong backspin. First my coach said the racket should be 30 degrees when I hit the ball. When the ball hits the table, My chest should already be facing the direction of my knee and my racket is at the level of my stomach. He said when I hit the ball from the the level of my stomach going to my chest at 30 degrees racket angle with the same time of body rotation. When I do that even with a Heavy backspin the ball always hit the opponent's table even though it doesn't great power.