dealing with backhand flicks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
hey....just got a few questions....i have a few problems dealing with the backhand flicks my opponents do...i am unsure which way its going to go...unless i play my opponents for a while....but the match is gone by then....also i tend to block slightly aggressive strokes on my forehand...a flip or a flick which i could actually attack to start a rally.as a result i give a loose ball which my opponents smash down the table...another thing...i am planning to get a new rubber with my forehand....which i could use to loop well....i am using donic sonex jp gold...already...a friend of mine says....hexar(androw) or gineus optimum+(tibhar) works just fine...can you just give me some tips on this?...i would be very grateful...

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Hi sumangupa,

What I usually do is I read their body language. Assuming he's a rightie, if he leans towards his right before doing the BH flick, more often than not the ball will go to your right, and if he's standing straight up, it'll go to your left. If your push goes to his far to his BH, than chances are it'll go to your left too.

These flicks are normally done close to the net, depriving you the time to get your footwork right. I would normally take a step back, and wait the returns with my FH. If it goes to my BH, I would just control block it with my BH. What you can do if you need to push or serve short, go to his BH. Coz more often than not, he will always flick it to the centre or to your BH. Only really good players are able to flick it down the line to your FH coz it's risky and difficult to do. Also, make sure your push has some bite in them and low over the net.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
...Continuing what Azlan said last, is that only really good players can produce fast flicks down the lines. Often the ball comes relatively slow (mid table) but with much spin, the trick here, as Azlan already told you, is to step back, be prepared with your arm in front of you and most important of all DON'T STRESS, the you will be alright!