Video: Me, myself and I doing Topspin Forehand Warmup HD

says Begonnen bij TTC Damme, vorig jaar bij TTC Pipolic en nu...
May 2011
Hello there

Below you can see a video of myself (in grey shirt) warming up my topspin forehand.
It is my favourite stroke and although I'm working hard on my backhand all the time, I tend to rely and depend on the topspin FH to win the point/match.
Therefore, I can't afford to neglect my FH either. So if anybody has any remarks on my technique, I would very much appreciate your input!

I allready know I should move faster and a lot of the times should take the ball on a higher contact point.

oh, and, err, nevermind the socks, ... , just please: nevermind them!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
ur not using ur body....not enough
with this stroke, ur not gonna clib much in terms of ranking....:)
everything should be starting frome the legs, shfting ur weight, use of waist, shoulders,etc....(from down to up)
work hard :)
oh last thing, stay low.... im guessing ur around 180 cm, no way u should be standing this high
(hope i didnt sound too rude :p im just trying to help, say what i think ;) )

Last edited:
May 2011
Thanks for the advice guyz. This was exactly the reason why I posted this. I find it really helpful, because I don't have a trainer or high-level players around that point out these kinds of things to me.
I'm generally good at seeing mistakes with other people's techniques, but it's always good to know your own flaws...

If anyone else has any remarks, keep 'm coming!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
i think the reason why your FH ends up on the left shoulder is because you fell the need to have the extra power by making a big swing but if you try to limit the swing in front of your body or just slightly deviated to the left and then rotate the waist then you can achieve more power, i hope you get what i mean, also get low, you will see that in getting low you will find a larger space for you to have a good swing at the ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
yeah brother, they're right...i could see myself playing until i learned some of the tips everyone is saying in this forum..stay low and you can see the ball approach you before hitting it...your swing always ends at your left shoulder because you tend to loop the ball as you hit...try to swing your arm in a diagonal not stopping at your left shoulder...i learned by your example...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
I think i am facing the same problems as olavrox, though i am a penhold player.
I am 6ft tall, and i do not bend much(though my knees bend, but the body above my waist does a 80-70degree tilt). And i am also not sure how much i should bend!

AJB

This user has no status.

AJB

This user has no status.
Jun 2012
Difficult to give advice without being there. In general, I think your F/H has plenty of plus points. I wouldn't try to think about changing too many things at once. It is is important that the shot stays NATURAL and FLOWING. Often when you tell people to use more waist and legs, they become robotic and rigid.

I think most people have already highlighted areas to improve - i.e. more legs and waist, not ending with your arm across your body, keeping your balance, being able to topspin at different contact points; although I don't necessarily agree that you need to bend lower.

From the video, your technique seems to vary from shot to shot (sometimes you finish the shot across your body/sometimes at your head, your balance on each shot also varies). In my opinion, a good exercise for you would be to alternate between hitting two slow F/Hs (soft hands, more arc on the ball) and then two fast F/Hs MAINTAINING similar TECHNIQUE and BALANCE. There should be a CLEAR distinction in speed and projection between fast and slow FHs. Good technique should be consistent meaning you can play slow (soft hands, less arm speed, still using legs) and fast (more momentum and acceleration) regardless of the speed of the oncoming block.

Hope that helps!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Fun or funny? :p

Fun. It is nice to put a face to a name. Your loops look fine. There is always room for improvement but, Azlan's comment is pretty accurate even though. Your looping is much better than his blocking and I am sure if you had a steady consistent blocker, you would be able to put more on the table.

The comments people said are accurate but your form is pretty okay. There is always room for improvement which is why you posted. The main thing I see that has not been said is keeping the elbow a little more stable. If there was less movement of the upper arm and more of the movement came from the elbow pivoting and the forearm moving towards the bicep, your recovery would be quicker and your blade would not end up at your shoulder when you take a slightly bigger stroke. From a biomechanics standpoint it would be more rotation of the upper arm with the elbow stable and more forearm flexion during the stroke.

But your stroke is nice and economical and that is huge. I do lots wrong that need improvement that you do better than I do. :)