Problem with 3rd ball attack.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
hey guys...so i've had a problem...i am a rightie...when i do my side spin service from one corner of the table...i have a problem on which balls to attack...balls with heavy backspin which are just about leaving them table pose problems for me...as often i'm cramped for room on my backhand side if i want to lauch a frehand loop...somtimes when i do manage to loop it in forehand from my backhand side,it's not so strong....i have trouble reaching for the down the line block..so is it safer to just roll it with my backhand...as my backhand is strong...or do i push it back...and be ready for the next forehand attack...?

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
It's a common problem faced by many amateur players. It's a natural angle for your opponents retrieving your serves, especially when you put a slight side spin, and the ball goes to the side of the table, instead of the baseline. With that serve, just forget your right hand side of the table. You can move early to your left, and prepare for your FH topspin loop. And when you loop, make sure the ball goes back to the same spot you serve. If you decide to go down the line, be sure it's a winner coz you'll be out of position.

The best solution however is to loop with your BH.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Azlan has presented two ideas that are both good.

If the push is one that you should take over the table, if it is short enough so that it almost bounces twice, it would probably be easier to take with the backhand. But if it is coming off the end-line, even if it just comes off, you should be able to take it with the forehand as well.

Either way, if you are taking forehands from the backhand side, the footwork to move from deep on the backhand side to deep on the forehand side is worth practicing. Here are two versions of that.

This first video uses a cross step to get there and the unique thing about this cross step is that the way the guy demonstrates it, you can end up with both feet on the ground and your feet uncrossed when you take the stroke, or just after, so you can get back into position. The way they show it, they are taking taking the stroke while the foot is crossed and than they get the other foot down to get back into position. But in playing with it, I have found that I can make the cross smaller, get the lead foot down and in position to take the stroke from deep in the forehand with both feet on the ground. With a step like this, you can cover a lot of ground very quickly.

Here is another video where Xu Xin covers the ground from deep on the backhand side, all the way over to deep on the forehand side with just a regular one-step, it is a large one-step and he has long legs, but he never has to cross his legs to get there.

Xu Xin's footwork is ridiculous and I could watch that video over and over again, but working on these footwork exercises, even without the ball, just shadow drills, can help a lot. I do footwork drills alone at a table sometimes. But I also like doing them in front of a mirror because that actually makes it much easier to correct your form and improve weight transfer and stroke at the same time while practicing the footwork.

And doing shadow footwork drills has definitely caused my level to increase more quickly then it would have if I did not do them.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sumangupa, you are a shakehand player, right? If so, you should learn to loop BH, learn to touch shot it bach short, and learn to hit with no-spin as alternatives, as well as a fast push for another option.

It is entirely normal for a developing player to have problems deciding which ball to attack FH and which balls to attack BH. You have to learn for yourself what works. many players keep it simple and attack with BH anything that goes to left of center line with a BH. Advantage of this is it is easy to understand and execute. Negative is that many players FH is powerful and you want to finish points powerfully or with placement, right? Learning the judgement to use BH or FH attack takes time. You not get there in a session or two, even with professional help. It takes time, but the first step is realize your deficiencies and take effective action.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Sumangupa, you are a shakehand player, right? If so, you should learn to loop BH, learn to touch shot it bach short, and learn to hit with no-spin as alternatives, as well as a fast push for another option.

It is entirely normal for a developing player to have problems deciding which ball to attack FH and which balls to attack BH. You have to learn for yourself what works. many players keep it simple and attack with BH anything that goes to left of center line with a BH. Advantage of this is it is easy to understand and execute. Negative is that many players FH is powerful and you want to finish points powerfully or with placement, right? Learning the judgement to use BH or FH attack takes time. You not get there in a session or two, even with professional help. It takes time, but the first step is realize your deficiencies and take effective action.