Weight Training? and other related issues

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Do any of you do training that relies on weights at all as part of your general training? in several videos that show the Chinese team training you do see them use weights in some of their exercises, though most of them tend to involve more unorthodox methods for training. Wang Liqin seems to use elastic bands often.

Anyway, I think some weight lifting does help, I would say I am in a lot better shape than just about every table tennis player I have played, and maybe its because I haven't played enough people yet, but I seem to see a difference in my quickness, my ability to reach balls that others might not, and just creating generally more spin than most people are accustomed to in my initial conversion from the backspin short game to top spin long game.

I also do a lot of stretching, and the like, WLQ can almost do a split.

Squats are also important, they are probably one of the if not the most effective weight exercises you can do. The players on the Chinese team have pretty giant thighs.... They help with you speed and explosiveness.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Here are some sample videos that show some of the random training methods that they use

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Physical fitness is key to any sport. Some might say that adding weight in muscle is counter productive in TT, but I disagree. If you aren't in great shape, adding muscle mass will help you lean out faster and help you become stronger. If you are skinny the right weight lifting regiment will increase your muscle control and speed/explosion. The latter is great for bouncing back up from very low loops.