Back to Forum
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Davott is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 7 44
    D
    Davott is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 44 7
    #1

    New Setup

    Hey guys,

    I'm looking to alter my setup quite drastically over the next few weeks. The aim is to make sure my bat is playing to my strengths. Here's my current setup for you all to get an idea of what I'm dealing with currently:

    Blade
    Stiga All-Round Classic
    Speed: 7.5
    Control: 8
    Ply: 5
    Weight: 85g

    Forehand Rubber
    XIOM Vega Europe
    Speed: 100
    Spin: 110
    Control: 97
    Thickness:2.0mm

    Backhand Rubber
    Stiga NEOS Tacky
    Speed: 7
    Spin: 9
    Control: 8.5
    Thickness: Unsure
    What I like
    + Lightweight Feel - I don't feel I would enjoy playing with a much heavier bat.
    + Slightly flared handle - I've been playing with it for years, would be tough to alter.
    + Speed - I'm happy with the speed I'm getting, my playstyle is based more on placement and spin than pure power.

    What I want to improve
    - Forehand Spin - I'd like to be able to loop with more spin
    - Backhand Drives - I'd like to add a bit more speed to my backhand
    - Lifetime of rubber - The Vega Europe has been decimated after just under 6 months use

    My Playstyle tends to be attacking play, using my forehand loop/drive to control points whenever I can. My backhand is used almost exclusively to push, block and drive (fast). My serves rely on spin to gain the advantage.

    Im looking to spend less than £70 but obviously as little as possible would be awesome. I'm also willing to spend more if needed, or to only upgrade some parts. I have been using this blade/backhand for a long time so it'll be tough to change.

    I'm a relative newbie with bats, so any advice/suggestions would be ace.

    Thanks,
    David.

  2. virtuososiu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 61 266
    virtuososiu's Avatar
    virtuososiu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 266 61
    #2
    Im building a light set up, might worth having a look. Focus on lightness and spin as well

    Andro Temper Tech ALL (70~75g)
    FH Donic Bluefire M2
    BH Donic BLUEfire M2 / Acuda S2 / Calibra Spin (very light)

    Ordered the blade already, weighting at 72g, still deciding about the rubbers.

    Vega euro isn't very spinny compare to Vega Pro & Asia. There are loads of choice out there.

    I have used Neos sound sync b4, not exactly yours, but i'd say u can get much more rubber with other brands. Very few Stiga rubbers are good. (personally i think only Calibra is good) For life time, 6 months is not bad actually, also depends on how much u play of cuz. Tho i doubt u can get much more than that with general tension rubbers.

    The Following 2 Users Like virtuososiu's Post:

    Davott and Giangt

    Last edited by virtuososiu; 08-08-2012 at 11:34 AM.

  3. Davott is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 7 44
    D
    Davott is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 44 7
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by virtuososiu
    Im building a light set up, might worth having a look. Focus on lightness and spin as well

    Andro Temper Tech ALL (70~75g)
    FH Donic Bluefire M2
    BH Donic BLUEfire M2 / Acuda S2 / Calibra Spin (very light)

    Ordered the blade already, weighting at 72g, still deciding about the rubbers.

    Vega euro isn't very spinny compare to Vega Pro & Asia. There are loads of choice out there.

    I have used Neos sound sync b4, not exactly yours, but i'd say u can get much more rubber with other brands. Very few Stiga rubbers are good. (personally i think only Calibra is good) For life time, 6 months is not bad actually, also depends on how much u play of cuz. Tho i doubt u can get much more than that with general tension rubbers.
    Cheers for the advice, I like the look of the Andro Temper Tech - Could you tell me how it plays when you get it?

    The BlueFire M2 looks awesome but maybe a bit expensive, pretty much exactly what Im looking for though with the high spin/control but with strong speed as well.

  4. virtuososiu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 61 266
    virtuososiu's Avatar
    virtuososiu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 266 61
    #4
    Glad it seemed good to u
    Tho, i wouldn't be playing for another 2 months, probably. Have a shoulder injury to nusre
    However, I can tell you these. I was communicating with Dadoy, had my eyes on Stiga Allround NCT, and the Andro Temper, and I was also asking for advice. I said that im looking at a light allround blade with good touch. The following is quoted from one of the emails.

    "The Andro temper tech All+ FL is availablein 74g. Thisis a good Allround blade. If you compare to the size of the Stiga allround itis about the same. The weight of the Stiga blade is near 80g.
    The Andro blade as the same control (9+)and speed than the Stigablade. The main difference is in the feeling. The Stiga blade feeling is softand the Andro blade feeling is hard.

    If you look for spin then take the andro.If you look for more aggressive counter attack then take the Stiga.

    However these two blades are very good forplayers looking for control."
    Last edited by virtuososiu; 08-10-2012 at 12:26 PM.

  5. decoy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 96 533
    D
    decoy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 533 96
    #5
    if you want an even lighter setup you could get Andro Blaxx either OFF or ALL( the ALL might weight even lighter, my OFF weights 60g) and rubbers like Xiom should be ok on it

  6. strangeloop is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 126 421
    S
    strangeloop is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 421 126

    User Info Menu

    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by virtuososiu
    The main difference is in the feeling. The Stiga blade feeling is softand the Andro blade feeling is hard.

    If you look for spin then take the andro.If you look for more aggressive counter attack then take the Stiga.
    Please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't a hard blade better suited for counters than loops and vice-versa? Is the difference in this case due to the type of wood used?

  7. virtuososiu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 61 266
    virtuososiu's Avatar
    virtuososiu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 266 61
    #7
    interesting question, i thought about that as well. Im sure some experts in the forum can answer this

  8. UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,941 14,373
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is offline
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,373 15,941
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeloop
    Please correct me if I am wrong. Isn't a hard blade better suited for counters than loops and vice-versa? Is the difference in this case due to the type of wood used?
    Yep. What I was thinking. Softer feel should mean more dwell time and more control and spin. A blade that is the same speed but has a harder feel should give you more punch or pop for countering. But, I would have to hit with both blades with the same rubbers to tell how the two blades really compare.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  9. virtuososiu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 61 266
    virtuososiu's Avatar
    virtuososiu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 266 61
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    Yep. What I was thinking. Softer feel should mean more dwell time and more control and spin. A blade that is the same speed but has a harder feel should give you more punch or pop for countering. But, I would have to hit with both blades with the same rubbers to tell how the two blades really compare.
    Good thinking, it does make sense. However, here is my take on understand his idea of that.
    When he (actually, could be a she lol) say the stiga allround, a softer one, is better for countering, he might mean that the softer feel gives u more feedback/ long dwell time, therefore, u got a better chance of countering, which is basically returning a fairly high speed shot. That longer impact might give u a better chance of returning it, rather than returning with loads of spin. So, chance of getting it back of table is bigger.
    But seriously, im not sure about what the idea so plz, if anyone is sure about sth, do share

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.