What is the best alternative for Tenergy 05?

This user has no status.
I don't know how helpful this is, but I think we should consider players that used to use Tenergy/Dignics, and are now sponsored by other brands or chose to switch.
  • Alexis Lebrun - Dignics 09c/Dignics 09c -> Hybrid K3/Hybrid K3
  • Felix Lebrun - Dignics 09c/Dignics 09c -> Hybrid K3/Hybrid K3
  • Kenta Matsudaira - Dignics 05/Tenergy 05 -> Hybrid MK (unreleased)/Hybrid K3
  • Yuto Muramatsu - Dignics 09c -> V>20 Double Extra
  • Minami Ando - Tenergy 05 -> V>20 Double Extra -> V>22 Double Extra
  • Manika Batra - Tenergy 05 -> V>15 Extra
I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrenchFrog33
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I want to ask which rubber is better between the tenergy 05 or the tenergy 64.I own a tenergy 05 and i love it but i am not too sure about the tenergy 64.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I don't know how helpful this is, but I think we should consider players that used to use Tenergy/Dignics, and are now sponsored by other brands or chose to switch
Surely not the worst perspective.

For me, it is very simple. Almost nothing FEELS like t05, if you put one on your racket it is instantly recognizable.
In terms of spin, others are superior (new ESN high end) or have always been (Hurricane).

After all these years, many players know exactly how much booster they need to make their t05 individually perfect and will not be tempted to try MX-P, MX-D, or whatever else just to find out how that plays out of the packaging and what is needed to make it fit personal taste.

Btw EJing is much more common in lower leagues than in the higher ones, at least that´s what I see in Germany. Players down to 6th league happily buy pair after pair of t05, while on local level people have gone through the 10th so called "alternative".

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Yesterday was the first time I put a sheet of Tenergy 05 on my blade. I resisted T05 for so long, always thinking along this line: It is too pricey and is meant only for elite players. The opportunity to buy a sheet of T05 came when a club mate of mine bought a sheet, play it once and decided to let go after stating it is too soft for his liking and went back to Chinese Tacky rubber. I got it for 2/3 of the original price for a sheet that has been played one session only.

My coach, a long time ago has advised me to use T05 but I being stubborn as a mule, bought cheaper ESN alternatives, settling at MXP finally.

So what is my impression of T05 compared to my defacto FH rubber, MXP?

1. T05 is a wee bit slower and more controllable. BH blocking is so easy and so comfortable.
2. Spin potential tends to be greater and this, according to my coach is that T05 grips the ball better.
3. It is not as trampolinish as MXP but it compensates in other area, i.e., spin potential.
4. My stroking partner commented my FH loop has increased side-spin and curves to the left in a banana trajectory fashion when compared to MXP. This collaborates the theory that T05 is more spinny.
5. It is so much easier to generate spin with T05, even when strokes are not perfect.

The above are my first impressions of T05. In conclusion, I will use T05 going forward and maybe MXP for my BH.

p/s I am only comparing T05 with MXP ( my current FH rubber ).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

The above are my first impressions of T05. In conclusion, I will use T05 going forward and maybe MXP for my BH.p/s I am only comparing T05 with MXP ( my current FH rubber ).

I don't think MXP is a great choice for you for BH based on seeing your BH. T05fx would probably help your BH a decent amount. It might make your BH opening much easier and in the end, it should improve your spin and your confidence with your BH.

If you were going to use one of the Evolution rubbers on BH, it probably should be FXP.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Gozo, I say the same thing to you that I say to LDM7. If you want to stick with BTY, on BH go for Rosena or T05FX.

Tibhar has a few more rubbers appropriate for you. FX-P is my first and best recommendation. It is a very control oriented modern offensive rubber. Some pros even use it, despite the softer sponge and play damn good with it. FX-P can do all the shots and is not a snail slow rubber. Easy to generate spin, easy to do most shots without ridiculous rebound.

Aurus is a close second and you have to learn your sponge hardness needs, start with Aurus soft and later regular Aurus. Les spin reactive while still having high spin potential, a controllable rubber. The K series in Euro sponge is also appropriate... K1 being much cheaper in price and still a great rubber. Maybe later FX-S when you get a faster bat.

Mar 2021

I don't think MXP is a great choice for you for BH based on seeing your BH. T05fx would probably help your BH a decent amount. It might make your BH opening much easier and in the end, it should improve your spin and your confidence with your BH.

If you were going to use one of the Evolution rubbers on BH, it probably should be FXP.

I'll throw away my MXP soon, it is about a year old, and I am sure it has reached the end of its useful life. I am now using T05 as my FH, so, I'm now in the market to look for a replacement BH.

Coincidentally USDC, my coach also recommended me T05fx as my BH replacement but not Rozena. He is like T05fx: Awesome! Rozena: Meh!

Der, why you say get a faster bat? I am using a one-ply 10.5mm Hinoki. Isn't this supposed to be a fast bat?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

Maybe later FX-S when you get a faster bat.

That was meaning the velocity of your bat in a swing.

It is very common to say "You need a fast bat to loop underspin" and such things when discussing how to make fast bat speed.

I was referring to that. Sry if I confused you... I only try to confuse people when I serve.

This user has no status.
Really good question, the answer is: if you are looking to a big difference in the price, then Xiom vega pro is the best alternative, all other alternative are close to the price of tenergy 05, otherwise stick with tenergy 05 if you want quality in your game, because it is the best rubber for the forehand in my opinion. All other alternatives are not much cheaper than tenergy 05. I started with xiom vega pro, then tenergy 05 , then xiom omega 7 euro , and finally I want to return to tenergy 05!

Mar 2021
About a month or so, I took the big leap of faith and bought a T05 for FH use, albeit a 2nd hand one as I am not sure how will I handle such a legendary rubber. So far, it has not disappoint me.

Last night I brought the rubber to my coaching lesson for the first time and my coach definitely approves it. He said, " See! I told you so!" So now I will buy a fresh new one for my BH use, also T05. Hence going forward my set up will be T05 for both BH & FH.

All roads lead to Rome is an English saying, likewise, all serious TT players eventually will be stuck with T05. We are all doomed! There is no escape from Tomasu Corp. Resistance is futile.

p/s My coach said for me to use T05 and not Dignics. He said Dignics is too hard for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
All serious TT players eventually will be stuck with T05. We are all doomed! There is no escape from Tomasu Corp. Resistance is futile.
All serious TT players eventually will be stuck with Hurricane 3. We are all doomed! There is no escape from DHS. Resistance is futile.
Just kidding.

Mar 2021
All serious TT players eventually will be stuck with Hurricane 3. We are all doomed! There is no escape from DHS. Resistance is futile.
Just kidding.

Ha ha ha! Friend, during my lesson last night, the topic of H3 did come up. My coach said, for hobbyist / amateur / non-pro players, T05 is better as it is easier on you. H3 only if you are really serious player and train everyday like the pros. Weekend players should just stick with T05 / ESN for better peace of mind and better sleep.

Reactions: FrenchFrog33

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Coincidentally USDC, my coach also recommended me T05fx as my BH replacement but not Rozena. He is like T05fx: Awesome! Rozena: Meh!
Hi Gozo, everyone says that about Rozena, Meh! I don't know. I used T05/05fx/80/80fx for 6 years. Then took a long detour through G1, and off into chinese tacky-land. Now I have used rozena since August. My Meh! rozena shots land on the table over and over and over. This shows up especially on serve return vs stronger players.

In a few years maybe I will change back to tenergy, or even diggynicks. I could easily afford them, TT is the cheapest hobby. For now I don't think I would play better. Fact is, I am not an Awesome! TT player. My skills are a lot more Meh! Rozena fits me. Think about what fits you, not some pro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

The answer

DHS Hurricane 3 (or with Neo), Blue Sponge, provincial or national version rubbers.
Way better than Tenergy on the FH

Backed with the secret training manual of course.

Good day to you sir,

Does the sponge of 37 degrees DHS Hurricane 3 (or with Neo) provincial version is the same sponge with 37 degrees DHS Hurricane 3 (or with Neo) commercial version ?

Thank you for all the kind reply and advice.

Best regards

Hi Gozo, everyone says that about Rozena, Meh! I don't know. I used T05/05fx/80/80fx for 6 years. Then took a long detour through G1, and off into chinese tacky-land. Now I have used rozena since August. My Meh! rozena shots land on the table over and over and over. This shows up especially on serve return vs stronger players.

In a few years maybe I will change back to tenergy, or even diggynicks. I could easily afford them, TT is the cheapest hobby. For now I don't think I would play better. Fact is, I am not an Awesome! TT player. My skills are a lot more Meh! Rozena fits me. Think about what fits you, not some pro.

But if You can use Tenergy it’s a great feel when the spin kicks in and that feel alone makes you a better player. You may not win more games but you have more fun (lots of it). I can certainly feel the difference between T05 and Roxena.

Cheers
L-zt

• Love
Reactions: Gozo Aruna
Mar 2021
About a month or so, I took the big leap of faith and bought a T05 for FH use, albeit a 2nd hand one as I am not sure how will I handle such a legendary rubber. So far, it has not disappoint me.

Last night I brought the rubber to my coaching lesson for the first time and my coach definitely approves it. He said, " See! I told you so!" So now I will buy a fresh new one for my BH use, also T05. Hence going forward my set up will be T05 for both BH & FH.

All roads lead to Rome is an English saying, likewise, all serious TT players eventually will be stuck with T05. We are all doomed! There is no escape from Tomasu Corp. Resistance is futile.

p/s My coach said for me to use T05 and not Dignics. He said Dignics is too hard for me.

Note to self:

If I ever deem T05 to be beyond my budget and affordability, I will go back to MX-P for both my FH & BH. After using various ESN rubber, I empirically feel that MX-P has the closest feel to T05.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
What was the price of the 05 back in 2010 when this thread was started?
In 2008 I could buy it for 36 euro (it is lower than official price at that time), it was higher than was bryce which I used before (probably 28 euro, which wasn't that cheap, tibhar torpedo was 24, tibhar rapid was 20 or even less). Then one day in 2010 he said that he cannot sell it for less than 54 euro (not sure whether it was with some discount to normal price or not). And I started looking for alternatives