What is the best alternative for Tenergy 05?

says Rozena! You complete me.
What makes Tenergy so spinny? I would imagine a soft sponge and highly grippy topsheet would generate most spin.Â

In the 80's, after the war has ended, many denizens of Middle Earth quickly found themselves to be unemployed. Soon, they descended to Normal Earth to seek their keep. Gandalf the Wizard and Galadriel the Elven Priestess, soon found themselves to be in the employment of a corporation called Butterfly Inc. Using their age-old whatchamacallit-thingamagic, they use it to create a super unearthly rubber and named it Tenergy. Soon, more denizen of Middle Earth came into employment of Butterfly Inc. The Orcs, Wargs and Uruk-Hai quickly organised themselves into the production, manufacturing and logistic part of the operation. The Tree-ents, under Treebeard leadership became their main supplier, supplying their natural sweat, err I mean latex to Butterfly Inc which is the main raw ingredient to produce Tenergy rubber.

So, back to the question, what makes Tenergy so special. It is all the above that comes together that makes Tenergy so special. End of story.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

In the 80's, after the war has ended, many denizens of Middle Earth quickly found themselves to be unemployed. Soon, they descended to Normal Earth to seek their keep. Gandalf the Wizard and Galadriel the Elven Priestess, soon found themselves to be in the employment of a corporation called Butterfly Inc. Using their age-old whatchamacallit-thingamagic, they use it to create a super unearthly rubber and named it Tenergy. Soon, more denizen of Middle Earth came into employment of Butterfly Inc. The Orcs, Wargs and Uruk-Hai quickly organised themselves into the production, manufacturing and logistic part of the operation. The Tree-ents, under Treebeard leadership became their main supplier, supplying their natural sweat, err I mean latex to Butterfly Inc which is the main raw ingredient to produce Tenergy rubber.So, back to the question, what makes Tenergy so special. It is all the above that comes together that makes Tenergy so special. End of story.

Wait, Gandalf, Galadriel and Treebeard working with Orcs and Worgs? (Uruk-Hai are Orcs so that is a redundancy).

You can choose the magic of the elves and Gandalf, or you can choose the magic of Sauran, Sauraman and the Orcs and Worgs. But I don't think you can mix and match since it is a kids story where there are not so many shades of grey to good and evil.

If you are presenting Butterfly as the big dark conspiracy, then perhaps you meant Sauran had helped them, with all his legions of evil helpers.

If you are presenting Butterfly as the benevolent masters of the TT world, then you may want the white magic of the elves and the wizards who are on the side of good and have not been corrupted by Sauran or the lust for the ring of power. :)

But I think it is clear, Gandalf, Galadriel, Elrond....they are not going to help Sauran or his dark creatures. :)

One rubber to rule them all, one rubber to find them, one rubber to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nate4s
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
The TT Gods sent humans rules to protect from this. 100 of them.

Reactions: latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Pienso que hay varias opciones.
*exer y rasant de andro.
*V15 de victas*Acuda de donic talvez.
*Omega 7 euro de xiom puede ser de lo mejor aunque el precio es bastante alto.
Pero para mí la más cercana es sin duda la mxp de tibhar.
y en tt11 siempre hay 3/4.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
The best alternative for T 05 has to be T 80 on forehand and T 05fx on backhand. I have heard that there are other makes of rubbers but it is against the rules of table tennis to say they are as good as Butterfly!

Perhaps you could change "good" to "expensive", and that would be more correct? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2021
Try something like Yinhe Mercury or one of 100s of Chinese rubbers.
I wasted first 15 years of my life with European & Japanese rubbers from Butterfly , Stiga, Yasaks etc
Then I realized I don't really need them because these rubbers are only "needed" by pro players (who are subsidized by us amateur players for advertising, sposorship & endorsement costs, some other costs I won't mention)
But then at that time not many quality Chinese rubbers were not very high
Butterfly (& Stiga) are still the gold standard with highest quality (control) but amateur players don't need them.
Chinese quality is far more than sufficient these days for an amateur player. ( I can say these true of any Chinese product over Japanese LOL)
I order 5 or 6 sheets of Mercury for $5 each. I keep hoping they die because I can use the next sheet. But if I keep them clean, they don't seem to die.& I have about 4 or 5 extra sheets extra & ready to be changed anytime. I have not changed one in years on 3 or 4 blades I have
For a price of one Dignics I can buy 20 sheets of Mercury, which will last me 2 more lifetimes

Sriver, Mark V, Impartial, Magnitude, Feint Long Classic etc are the greatest rubbers of all time (I preferred SuperSriver over Sriver as it had more spin) .
There are other reasons I now intensely hate Japanese & European manufacturers but I will get into them later

Same goes with blades. I use a custom blade but if you want to buy a European or Japanese expensive blade, don't.
Buy a Chinese clone (I did not say knock off) first with similar or identical layer composition. If you like it then buy the real one later, if you can afford it.
If not just stick with the Chinese clone. Only diffeernce I see is higher material quality and the secret glues or epoxys used by Butterfly or Stiga etc. & quality control (even that bigger Chinese manufacturers liek RITC & DHS may have caught up)

Reactions: mocker88
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

I am so so so getting the R47 next.....

Not sure if you are joking or serious but Rasanter R 48 (not R47) is probably the spinniest rubber I have tried. It is way better than R47 and it is probably the best ESN rubber I have tried. It does not last as long as Tenergy. For the first three weeks it is way more spinny than Tenergy. Then it fades a little. But even after the ESN factory tuning wears off, it is darn good rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Read 1 reviews

At first I considered Yinhe Moon Pro and Big Dipper. They are really all sticky. However, he settled on Donic Baracuda.
And then I found theme on the forum))
Donic Baracuda vs Butterfly Tenergy 05

says Rozena! You complete me.

Not sure if you are joking or serious but Rasanter R 48 (not R47) is probably the spinniest rubber I have tried. It is way better than R47 and it is probably the best ESN rubber I have tried. It does not last as long as Tenergy. For the first three weeks it is way more spinny than Tenergy. Then it fades a little. But even after the ESN factory tuning wears off, it is darn good rubber.

Hi Carl,

Just saw this post of yours that was addressed to me directly.

I bought R48 couple of week ago that I have glued to one of my bat but I have not play with it yet as I am do not want to mess with my equipment too much especially during competition time. I'll be able to some feedback after my competition ends and in between tournament time, where I'll get some silly time to play around with these new set-ups.

Cheers mate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Hi Carl,

Just saw this post of yours that was addressed to me directly.

I bought R48 couple of week ago that I have glued to one of my bat but I have not play with it yet as I am do not want to mess with my equipment too much especially during competition time. I'll be able to some feedback after my competition ends and in between tournament time, where I'll get some silly time to play around with these new set-ups.

Cheers mate.

I’ve had a sheet on for a week now - early indications are good. It feels like a slightly softer, more friendly D05 (my FH rubber) and is very spinny.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I would again offer the concept that for the majority of players, going to a control oriented modern dynamic offensive rubber will get more balls on table and more points... but that is a tough sell to many players.

I've given up trying.
I have customers that want the fastest.
Doesn't work - end up buying another fastest
Doesn't work - end up getting a coach
Doesn't work - so coach said get an allround setup.
starting to work
The same setup I suggested before all these doesn't work.
😂😂😂

For some people, you need to pay the school fees, to learn that fastest doesn't mean best for you.
Its like getting an F1 car. that kind of fast car is useless in many parts of my driving requirements.

Last edited: