Adham Sharara wishes Ding Ning Gold

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Lots of contravserty took place in the women's singles final at the London 2012 Olympics with World Number 1 and World Champion Ding Ning being left furious with the umpires decisions. In an interview after the match with Ding Ning quoted, 'I had an obstacle today, and not only from the opponent but from the judge as well,' attempting to hold back the tears according to the daily mail.

'After the first one (point penalty), I tried to keep cool but could not hold it after the second. ''The judge was too strict. I always serve the ball like this. I have done that for the last two years and, even from the first game of the Olympics, I have served like this.

Ning+Ding+Olympics+Day+5+Table+Tennis+tIbCwlwaurrl.jpg

Photo by: Feng Li/Getty Images Europe

Below are two videos. The first video below shows Ding Ning during the match and after talking with the ITTF president Adham Sharara

You can see Ding Ning was in a mess after the match

What are your views on this match?

article-0-14545EB8000005DC-561_634x404.jpg

Source: dailymail.co.uk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
one of my friends was a volunteer and this is what happened...
ding ning had, in fact been called on foul serves in her previous rounds of matches- it wasnt a new thing.
the first yellow card was for her not returning to the table when time was called.
the yellow/red card was shown not for querying why her serve was faulted, but it was shown for going to take the towel after 10 points had been scored, rather than twelve. as ding had already received a yellow card the umpire didnt have a choice. the assistant umpire should have told her not to take it, but made a mistake.
ding started crying because she felt the umpire was stopping her from winning.

that is wht happened, and it surprised me how the ittf have interpreted it to make it the umpire's fault when she was just doing her job. yes, perhaps she was a little harsh, but its no different to when a referee sends a player off in a cup final and gives the other side a penalty. li xiaoxia still had to win the mach and deeserves full credit - penalties dont score themselves, someone has to take them.

i feel sorry for the umpire and i think this incident actually shows that the asian countries seriously need to teach their players english, so they can understand what is going on...its poor that they dont know it, given that theinternational sport for tt is english, but there we are.

rant over :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
A misunderstanding....

big time :p it was a highly unfortunate coincidence...and i dont even think the umpire was being officious, she was simply applying the basic rules...ding ning broke the rules, and im sorry but she cannot go unpunished just because it is an olympic final.

i personally think the umpires should be this strict in the pro tours as well, that way the players would know better and it wouldnt happen anymore. oh well, what's done is done, and luckily for ding ning she will probably get a second chance...