Poll: Olympics, pinnacle of achievement in TT

Which Tournament represents Pinnacle of TT achievement?

• The Olympics

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • The World TT Championship

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • The World Cup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Pro-Tour Grand Finals

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The Asian Championship

• The Chinese Closed

• The English Open

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • The European Championship

• Total voters
says Aging is a killer
This is an article about sports that should be included in the Olympics and those that should’nt.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/11/you-call-that-an-olympic-sport.html

The key statement to us was:

“There is one absent consideration that seems to me to be important—and while meeting it is not a sufficient condition for inclusion in the Games, it should be a necessary one. It is to ask whether winning the Olympic Games is the pinnacle of sporting achievement in that discipline. This is manifestly the case in track and field, swimming, track cycling, hockey, volleyball, table tennis, and almost all the other sports on the roster. It would also be the case in sports like karate and squash, which are seeking to become Olympic sports”

How many of us think that the pinnacle of table tennis achievement is the Olympics?

Most will say WTTC or Olympics. But these are one -off tournaments where the best players can have an off or bad day. What about the Pro-Tour Grand finals for which players have to qualify against the best over several matches?

501b2bdf85b34_zhang%20jike%20wang%20hao.jpg

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
For TT, I definitely don't think it is the ultimate. Too many in-form players were not able to participate which raise a question whether it was the ultimate pinnacle. The qualification procedure is laughable. Countries like Australia could not even send a team.

In sports, upsets are plenty, top players losing to in-form lesser known players is what we like to see. Otherwise, it'll just be too predictable and we might as well give the medals before it even started.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
For TT, I definitely don't think it is the ultimate. Too many in-form players were not able to participate which raise a question whether it was the ultimate pinnacle. The qualification procedure is laughable. Countries like Australia could not even send a team.

In sports, upsets are plenty, top players losing to in-form lesser known players is what we like to see. Otherwise, it'll just be too predictable and we might as well give the medals before it even started.
Well, the thing about OS is that you can't win it by just being in-form at that moment. You need to be in form more than one year ahead of the Olympics to qualify and maintain the form to win. But it has more predictable matches usually indeed, although we have seen alot of unpredictable ones this time xD Maybe because the players don't know each other so well as they do in WTTC's

Mar 2011
Australia was present in Teams as well as Individuals, men's and women's... they couldn't have been any more present. :p
Perhaps you were too focused on the Beach Vollyball...

Which brings me nicely to the topic of coverage...I didn't even get full coverage of Olympic TT. hehehe I was really waiting for the Aussies to play. MMMMMMMPPPPHHHHHH!!! Oh...that's the sound of my foot in my mouth. :)