how to improve service ?? esp. short and high spin

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Richard makes an excellent point about several existing ways to make it short. A lot of players say bounce it right by net, I say for basic short serve, make it 1/2 way or a little past. The way Richard says can work if struck properly. My suggestion is good as the serve looks 1/2 long, but is short. Richard's suggestion is good in that the serve's first bounce may indicate a LONG serve, which gives th eopponent something else to compute, correct, react, get into position, etc and sometimes, that is too much to process too soon.

Good idea with merit Richard.

Luckily, improving service is one of the few things one can improve upon big-time without skilled partners.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
What I see alot in my club is that people lean forward to throw the ball up they stay very low but when they throw the ball they put their bodies straight up and thats when the serve bounces high.

Another tip I can give you if you cant put much spin on your serves and you want to have good serves, you dont have to put much backspin on it. What I mean is, if you play the ball very low over the net without spin and the next time you play it really low over the net with the same movement but with just a little backpin its already enough to let your oponent make a mistake. Of course a serve with lots of spin on it is great to have but its not really necessary. I think the key to succes to have a decent serve is doing every serve with the same beginning and ending movement but its always different spin, which takes lots of practice but as you can see with ma lin after he hits the ball he makes so many other movements that dont add any spin to the serve but just to confuse the oponent.

So always same starting position, make some movements after you hit the ball to confuse oponent and try to mix up a little bit, try to give a backspin serve and let your blade end up like it looks like its topspin.

Another good point KAIKAZ! Once you get consistant in serving short is deceptive after-motions. They make teh serve even more effective. Even if your opponent correctly reads the spin on a short chop serve that you flipped wrist to sell the serve as topspin, the opponent often pushes the serve long for an excellent chance to attack 3rd ball, which is one of the true joys of Table Tennis combat.