please help out my game!!!..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
hi, guys...so i'm here again with my amateurish problems..i'll give some background..i was basically a soccer player....but i stopped playing serious stuff about 3 years back...due to some issues.table tennis really got my interest...one year i was a basement player...but i have been training under professional advice for about a two years now.

i participated in a tournament yesterday. my age is 23, and here in india...we have age wise entries in tournaments...it's the professional circuit and above 21 falls in the mens category, naturally, i have to enter these tournaments against players most of which are players with about 12-15 years of experience. some are even more experienced and have entered thier 40's or are in the late 30's with loads of experience, but not in regular touch.

however my problem is, when i'm playing against these players, i tend to seize up, i already have in my mind that these guys are unbeatable, so in place of being patient, and waiting for the right ball to attack, i become over zealous and it seems i am in amazing hurry to complete the match and get the hell out of the arena. normally, when i play the under 19's and under 17's in my club,some of who are really good. i give them stiff competition, as i learned pretty fast and worked incredibly hard over the last year.however, against a much better skilled player ( even if he's out of practise) i attempt all the wrong shots and give him the match away even when he has hit hardly 2-3 really attacking strokes. don't get me wrong, i can take losses. i was a goalkeeper before when i played soccer, so i've had my experience in dealing with losses. no shame in losing against someone much better.but i hate losing the way i did yesterday.the under 17 s and 19s lost too but they played thier own game and pushed each game to atleast 5 sets.. i really believed, if i just kept my cool and had been patient i would have atleast asked a few questions, and that would be enough for me.( the player who i lost aginst was horribly out of practise, and though he was a legend in our region during his prime days, he was blanked 4-0 in the next round by another current player.) i hit so many pushes into the net fearing if i pushed too long he would blast me out of the planet...this type of performances, makes me really sad, and i start wondering if i have learnt anything at all over the last 2-3 years..even though i know it's not true..i prepared myself well, but losing so tamely, has really sagged my morale.

is it due to lack of the number of quality tourneys i've participated in?...or should i cut down on my attacking game, and concentrate on blocking and pushing more harder so that i can be flexible in matches?..my coach says it's due to my temperament which should get better with each tournament as i have participted in very less quality events.( about 5-6).or should i practise blocking and placing more when i'm playing against weaker opponets. it gets me sometimes, as it is now, one moment i believe i am really improving and then after these days i start thinking if i'm getting any better at all...please guys, drop in your experiences and advice, it would really encourage me, hhahaha...all the best!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
sumangupa, you are going through normal decisions and situations we have all faced starting out, or even at our current levels facing opponents from natl div 1. Decide the style of game play you want and work towards that end. practice ALL the shots, even blocking can become an offensive shot if used right. On pushes, try contacting the ball earlier, you have better short control. That is easier said than done as you have to not only read the spin, but the depth, break, and timing of the bounce. You will not achieve success in your first month. Don't sweat it. In tourneys, sometimes anything can happen, a competitor never gives up. That opponent still has to get to 11 before he or she can stamp you ticket outta there! Who knows what can go wrong for him or what you can do to give them a bad day? Just fight and compete best you can and it will get better with time. So what if dude smacked your long push, that will motivate you to make a better quality push or effectively attack first.

Against those top players, you will not get very many quality chances to attack, so don't sweat it about waiting for the perfect ball, you won't get one. if you do, then is is likely a ball that you are out of position and will make a very low percentage chance, that opponent is betting on it and he is likely very good in the business of gambling and betting.

For now... Just develop your allround game and strengthen those shots that help your style. You should grow into a flexible player capable of using more than one shot or combination to win points. The number of tourneys likely isn't what is killing you right now. Developing basic grip on the game, tactics, balance, shots, combinations, recovery, short game, serve receive/attack are bigger issues for you right now. These things never get to a high standard overnight and when you DO get much better in practice in those areas, it always takes months, like 3-6 months if you play daily to get those things to be point winners in a match, because in a match, you will be less consistant than in practice, your opponent is not giving you the easiest of position and time.

Even when you DO go up in level, you will discover how much you REALLY do not know or perform well in our sport. I do not say that to discourage, but to encourage you. What is great about our sport is there is ALWAYS room to improve, even me at my age, there is always a lot of room to improve. That will always remain a motivating factor for me until I get too much a geezer to improve my game as a hyper-actice aggressive all-out flexible attacking player. Anyone see any of my vids from now and from 4 years ago will know right away. I could devote the rest of the next 15 years and I will likely never make it anywhere past an average div 1 national player. That would still be great as well under 1 percent of all players here in Korea ever make that level. I am near the bottom middle pack of div 3 national which doesn't sound like much, but is already a huge improvement. Maybe 5% of all players here ever make that level and it is 10X harder to move up each division. That is a huge thing to look forward to: I will always have space to grow and I will always find opponents who will make me look like a poor player. In the end, the opponent had a lot to do with that and I can use it as motivation to improve.

You have a coach and a situation to train and improve, count yourself very fortunate, even an advanced country like USA has TT so spread out and our infastructure so ate up, you need a jet helicopter to go everywhere, so TT is hard to grow at local level by geting walk-in or bike-in members, you have to go with a car and purpose/intent, not spontanious. That hurts us. You are paying coach, so be a BUG. Yes, a BUG. Bother your coach with questions every day and make him earn that pay some moar! You also have these nice TT forums where you get TT frienship and advice (whether it is poor or golden) at least it is free, after whatever you pay for your computer and internet service.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another thing I have to say, as much as I have lived outside of USA as an American and been to a lot of lands, all you young jokers from India have impressed the heck outta me with your ability to communicate effectively in English! Is it perfect? well... does it really matter? The goal is to say something once and be understood. It's that simple and you all certainly go above that. I see many many peoples spend their entire lives studying English, but since they have to study to pass a test of written comprehension of highest level vocab and grammer that is NEVER used in daily life, their training is useless for writting or speaking and causes a lot of fear of failure when they try to open their mouths. Their training system is to blame, not them. There is no way they can train to get the best scores on that test and still train their brain to seamlessly use vocab and grammar the way native English speakers do! You guys must have a very practical system over there from the few clues I get to see. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
@Der_Echte, Over 2 centuries of British rule has done some good I suppose!

To the OP, all I can say is keep practising. The guys you lose to seem to have a lot of experience. That more than makes up for their age, lack of footwork or slow reflexes. Don't let these things frustrate you and continue working on the right things. Result does not matter. What matters is whether you had a clear mind during the match to implement what you practised. If not, try to take more time between points and plan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
sumangupa, you are going through normal decisions and situations we have all faced starting out, or even at our current levels facing opponents from natl div 1. Decide the style of game play you want and work towards that end. practice ALL the shots, even blocking can become an offensive shot if used right. On pushes, try contacting the ball earlier, you have better short control. That is easier said than done as you have to not only read the spin, but the depth, break, and timing of the bounce. You will not achieve success in your first month. Don't sweat it. In tourneys, sometimes anything can happen, a competitor never gives up. That opponent still has to get to 11 before he or she can stamp you ticket outta there! Who knows what can go wrong for him or what you can do to give them a bad day? Just fight and compete best you can and it will get better with time. So what if dude smacked your long push, that will motivate you to make a better quality push or effectively attack first.

Against those top players, you will not get very many quality chances to attack, so don't sweat it about waiting for the perfect ball, you won't get one. if you do, then is is likely a ball that you are out of position and will make a very low percentage chance, that opponent is betting on it and he is likely very good in the business of gambling and betting.

For now... Just develop your allround game and strengthen those shots that help your style. You should grow into a flexible player capable of using more than one shot or combination to win points. The number of tourneys likely isn't what is killing you right now. Developing basic grip on the game, tactics, balance, shots, combinations, recovery, short game, serve receive/attack are bigger issues for you right now. These things never get to a high standard overnight and when you DO get much better in practice in those areas, it always takes months, like 3-6 months if you play daily to get those things to be point winners in a match, because in a match, you will be less consistant than in practice, your opponent is not giving you the easiest of position and time.

Even when you DO go up in level, you will discover how much you REALLY do not know or perform well in our sport. I do not say that to discourage, but to encourage you. What is great about our sport is there is ALWAYS room to improve, even me at my age, there is always a lot of room to improve. That will always remain a motivating factor for me until I get too much a geezer to improve my game as a hyper-actice aggressive all-out flexible attacking player. Anyone see any of my vids from now and from 4 years ago will know right away. I could devote the rest of the next 15 years and I will likely never make it anywhere past an average div 1 national player. That would still be great as well under 1 percent of all players here in Korea ever make that level. I am near the bottom middle pack of div 3 national which doesn't sound like much, but is already a huge improvement. Maybe 5% of all players here ever make that level and it is 10X harder to move up each division. That is a huge thing to look forward to: I will always have space to grow and I will always find opponents who will make me look like a poor player. In the end, the opponent had a lot to do with that and I can use it as motivation to improve.

You have a coach and a situation to train and improve, count yourself very fortunate, even an advanced country like USA has TT so spread out and our infastructure so ate up, you need a jet helicopter to go everywhere, so TT is hard to grow at local level by geting walk-in or bike-in members, you have to go with a car and purpose/intent, not spontanious. That hurts us. You are paying coach, so be a BUG. Yes, a BUG. Bother your coach with questions every day and make him earn that pay some moar! You also have these nice TT forums where you get TT frienship and advice (whether it is poor or golden) at least it is free, after whatever you pay for your computer and internet service.
thank you so much again....it really means a lot to us beginners when we see you guys help us out...stay well !!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Another thing I have to say, as much as I have lived outside of USA as an American and been to a lot of lands, all you young jokers from India have impressed the heck outta me with your ability to communicate effectively in English! Is it perfect? well... does it really matter? The goal is to say something once and be understood. It's that simple and you all certainly go above that. I see many many peoples spend their entire lives studying English, but since they have to study to pass a test of written comprehension of highest level vocab and grammer that is NEVER used in daily life, their training is useless for writting or speaking and causes a lot of fear of failure when they try to open their mouths. Their training system is to blame, not them. There is no way they can train to get the best scores on that test and still train their brain to seamlessly use vocab and grammar the way native English speakers do! You guys must have a very practical system over there from the few clues I get to see. :)
hahaha...yeah..i've been fortunate enough to do my schooling from a 'christian brother's institution' which was founded in 1891...in the small peaceful town we do live in, our school was a real gem...but you are right about most things, the inability to communicate well in english is still a big problem for the majority of people living outside the big cities who haven't been as fortunate as us. not just language, there are loads of undiscovered talents in our nation, take it from me. i've been part of our towns sporting circuit, so i know...lack of medium , corruption eats into everything and that is where we are so jealous of you guys where scouting talents really means something, it's not just another signed legal sheet in the trash can. but the situation is improving at a glacial pace, so all we can do is help in our own way, right?...:)

as for my situation, i finished my college a few months back. and will be joining the Information Technology sector in March next year. so it's only a few months of daily practise left. then it's work. i know some friends from Calcutta who are really good and they are joining at work with me at the same time and at the same place!!...so i guess i will have some quality practise there too when i have time. our state West Bengal is one of the main zones from where many of the national players get selected. so we have a real strong TT circuit here. but you are right...there is no end to learning. but no matter how much i plan, my mind gets all jumbled up against the big players, and i attempt rash shots, miss high balls, hurry so much between points.....than just concentrating on keeping each ball on the table...and meekly submitting kills me...in the end i wonder, " god!!!...how little did i make him work to beat me? "...that totally messes me up..hahaha...but there's no end to learning in this game,very true, so i look forward to doing better...lets see....thank you so much. it really encourages us when you guys chip in...!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
@Der_Echte, Over 2 centuries of British rule has done some good I suppose!

To the OP, all I can say is keep practising. The guys you lose to seem to have a lot of experience. That more than makes up for their age, lack of footwork or slow reflexes. Don't let these things frustrate you and continue working on the right things. Result does not matter. What matters is whether you had a clear mind during the match to implement what you practised. If not, try to take more time between points and plan.
yeah...right buddy...taking time between points is something i really have to improve...somehow, i don't do it when i'm playing big tournaments...thanks.