How Much Does a Professional Table Tennis Coach Earn?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Hi guys, please check out my latest blog post looking at how much you can earn as a professional table tennis coach.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Do you coach professionally? Are you interested in coaching for money? Do you have experience coaching in a country other than the UK? I know that some countries have a much bigger volunteer culture and it is very hard to make it as a coach but much easier than the UK to make it as a player.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the subject.

Thanks.

Reactions: YosuaYosan and Dan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Well I met a coach like European capacity once..
But he works at Slovakia, here people are poor in general.
He takes 15€ for an hour of training!
That is far too much for me, I think I can afford like 2 hour a month, lol :D

But he is pretty damn good, he himself I think plays 1st league in Slovakia, with wanting to play higher.
But that is as far as I know..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Thanks for the reply Michal. I remember talking to some Danish coaches that were excellent and they were surprised I was able to make a living coaching in the UK.

It's surprising we don't see more table tennis coaches from the EU moving to England. They could probably clean with their experience of a Euro club structure and coaching expertise. And it would help to improve things here in the UK as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Hi Ben,

had a look on your blog, great stuff, really appreciate it. I also liked it immediately on Facebook :)

I know that the national coaches in Luxembourg (younger and older squads) earn between 30.000 and 60.000 euro per year. But also get their fligs and hotels paid. Moreover they usually don't work 8h/day. So i think that this is kind of a good deal.
But it's sad that with well paid and trained coaches, excellent infrastruktures and average talented players, they don't reach a higher level.

Greetings and keep your blogging on :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Hi Polchen. Thank you so much for liking the post on Facebook. It makes such a big difference if people share the content with their friends.

Thanks as well for your insight into coaching in Luxembourg. It sounds like quite a professional outfit they have running there. Who are their top players? Why do you think they are not excelling as much as other European countries. Is the sport popular in Luxembourg?

It sounds like national coaches can expect to be earning about £50,000 a year with some benefits chucked in as well.

Cheers for your encouragement.

Ben.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Their top players are Traian Ciociu (WR 460, former 128) who came from Romania to Luxembourg 25 years ago. He's a very good friend of mine and also a quite professional caracter, even with his 50 years, he dominates over 75% of the National League. Second one is Gilles Michely (WR 478). He used to play in the second team of TT Zugbrücke Grenzau in the second Bundesliga but came back to play for DT Dudelange, probaby the strongest team now. After them we have Mike Bast and Christian Kill (WR 744 and 594). Bast is 30 and playing on his limits. Also a good friend of mine, so I know that he practices a lot, but he can't get any further. Kill is only in his early 20's and got a lot of skills and potential.
Our women team has got better results, but lots of them are due to Ni Xia Lian (WR 54). No idea how long she's still going to play because she just one year younger than Ciociu. But there we have a lot of young girls (even younger than me, I'm 20 now) like Tessy Gonderinger and Sarah de Nutte (WR 275 and 301).

I think it has to do way too much with our mentality. We are very spoiled and don't know what chances we have to practice in such great, modern infrastructures and to play in a very strong league because most teams play with two foreigners. They are even paid to be sparring partners for our squares.

Table Tennis is quite popular because it represents the third greatest federation in our sports (6.000 members), it ot a bad average with only 500.000 habitants.

By the way, I'm also trying myself as a coach :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Hi Ben,

Good luck in yours coaching career and wishes you all the best.
Secondly, would you mind to share some tips bout TT? Since you're coach, I guess we would like to ask you, the correct ways to execute a stroke etc etc.
As for me, FH, how we can apply the power, to the ball, when we execute FH. Like hit the ball like Ma Long's etc. How we as players, start to generate the power, from leg to waist then to forearm? How we apply it? Can tell us in order we can perform better?

Thank you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
Hi Duck,

Thank you for your comment. You're right I have been a bit light on technique articles on the site. This is something I am going to start doing soon. I haven't got a video camera yet and I feel that a video is like 10,000 words so when I get one it will be much easier for me to start coaching online.

I was thinking of starting a thread on here asking you guys what you would like me to write about. For example you're question of "How to get a more powerful forehand". I will try and set this up.

Thanks for reading the site and getting involved.

Ben