LIEBHERR 2012 Men's World Cup

Who will win the MENs World Cup 2012???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
wow.... wtf.... sometimes Ma Long loses to people that just leave you in shock....
For example his lose to Seiya Kisikawa last year and his loss to Chan Kazuhiro.

His loss to Chuan is puzzling since they both basically have the same style. They both are great all offensive players who can attack from both wins, except Ma Long is bigger, stronger, and better in just about every aspect of the game. It really is surprising that he would lose such a match. The matches that they have played in the past haven't even been close....

I think there really might be something to the fact that Ma Long seems to be much more introverted, and that he has such high expectations to chase history, that when he actually does compete in one of the majors, his nerves don't allow him to play as well as he is entirely capable of. Ma Long's demeanor seems very similar to Wang Liqin, they both are more quiet, silent, dedicated to training types. WLQ also had some problems with showing his best in the majors, though of course not the world championships.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
scylla you are absolutely right. No fun to watch Ma Long as a MaLong-Fan on major tournaments. (Olympics 2012 and WTTTC 2012 were good but the rest .... :( )
He has to win this or I will get the feeling that he will never win a major somehow :( I know he is still young ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
[Grp1] MA Long - CRISAN Andrian [Full Match/Short Form]

[Grp2] XU Xin - FREITAS Marcos [Full Match/Short Form]

[Grp1] MA Long - CHUANG Chih-Yuan [Full Match/Short Form]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I think I will have to stop with all my bets..
When I bet, even Ma Long loses 4:0 .. omfg, thats just not right!

Anyways, pretty good match Xu Xin vs. Samsonov, just watched it, nice to see Vladi in a good form again!
It was not just easy 4:1 for Xu, Vladi gave him some hard time, yeah!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
[Grp4] OVTCHAROV Dimitrij - MAZE Michael [Full Match/Short Form]

This user has no status.
Xu Xin will win this. Ma Long still hasn't overcome his problems (which I think is innate).

1) Not enough spin, too much speed, which results in many errors
2) Playing too fast which results in more errors.
3) No "sting" whatsoever, i.e. he doesn't have that game winning shot.

From his loss to Chuang, we can see that his game is indeed not invulnerable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
so how does it work? i mean is ma long eliminated or does he have a chance still or what? sorry i dont know the mechanics of the tournament

is ma long eliminated??...or will he get another chance to redeem himself?

does ma LONG still have a chance to go for the finals?

Yes he can. Both the nr1 and 2 of each group go to the quarterfinals. The problem is, he might have to play Xu Xin in the semifinal or even in the quarters.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
[Grp2] XU Xin - SAMSONOV Vladimir [Full Match/Short Form]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes he can. Both the nr1 and 2 of each group go to the quarterfinals. The problem is, he might have to play Xu Xin in the semifinal or even in the quarters.

By losing to Chuang, Ma Long did put himself in a tougher situation than he wanted. But, in the single elimination, anything can happen.