Tried Ankle/Wrist weights? Advise!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Hi.. I would like to improve my lower body strength. But I don't like lifting weights at a gym. :) So.. here's the question.. would it help to use ankle weights or wrist weights? Have you tried it before?

Currently I do basic exercises like plank (can do 1 min 20 sec), jumprope (minus the rope), two step side to side movement in BH stance for 30 seconds (3 sets), duckwalk, little bit of weights for shoulders and triceps, light weight for rotator cuff. I alternate between these everyday. I warm up before and stretch after playing for 5-10 mins.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
hmm generally, from what I have heard about them, you should avoid using them. I realize you stated you hate lifting weights, but doing squats is one of the best, if not the best single weight lifting exercise you can do, and is great for lower body strength and overall body strength.

Just about everything I have read about ankle and wrist weights say that they are horrible for you joints. Ankle weights in particular are awful for you knees in the long run. I would much rather do some squats, or even simple lunges than risk permanently damaging your knees.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Recommend no ankle weights.

To grow muscle, you have to give it teh building blocks, the stimulation, and recovery. You can also strengthen hte muscle(s) and improve coordination of other muscle to make a task more powerful.

One thing you can do anywhere is to WALK up stairs, like 5-15 flights of them carrying 15 Kg of stuff. A sandbag you make from a few plastic bags filled with sand or dirt sealed with a LOT of duct tape is an excellent resistance. Do this upstairs only, there is 10x more stress to knees going downstairs. Walk upstairs, even if it is 10+ floors and take the elevator down.

Another thing you can do with the 15 Kg sandbag is UN-ASSISTED situps with sandbag under the chin. You will be using your hip flexers at the start of hte rep and abs to finish it. When it gets real easy to do this, use both hands to place and keep the sandbag on top of your head, it will become 3x more difficult to do reps. Be careful to explode up smoothly and control your descent.

Plain old drill involving... Step around BH to hit FH, then FAST crossover to wide FH, then FAST crossover recover to wide BH... over and over are one excellent way to tax the legs and waist, especially waist. Coach or assistant feeds you the balls. They do not have to be a certain spin, just in hte right location just fast enough for you to barely make it there. That is one of the points of multiball - to push your limits on how fast and correctly you can do a shot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
One thing you can do anywhere is to WALK up stairs, like 5-15 flights of them carrying 15 Kg of stuff. A sandbag you make from a few plastic bags filled with sand or dirt sealed with a LOT of duct tape is an excellent resistance. Do this upstairs only, there is 10x more stress to knees going downstairs. Walk upstairs, even if it is 10+ floors and take the elevator down.

Another thing you can do with the 15 Kg sandbag is UN-ASSISTED situps with sandbag under the chin. You will be using your hip flexers at the start of hte rep and abs to finish it. When it gets real easy to do this, use both hands to place and keep the sandbag on top of your head, it will become 3x more difficult to do reps. Be careful to explode up smoothly and control your descent.

Plain old drill involving... Step around BH to hit FH, then FAST crossover to wide FH, then FAST crossover recover to wide BH... over and over are one excellent way to tax the legs and waist, especially waist. Coach or assistant feeds you the balls. They do not have to be a certain spin, just in hte right location just fast enough for you to barely make it there. That is one of the points of multiball - to push your limits on how fast and correctly you can do a shot.

Thanks for the ideas.. My workplace is on the 10th floor. I can walk upstairs comfortably without breaking into sweat.. I never tried it with 10-15 kg weight. I will try it with my backpack on this week. That weighs around 5 kg. Not bad for starters I suppose.

It's a long time since I did any situps.. Must do them without the weights first and see how it goes.. The last drill is one that we do a lot.. But we do it at a gentle pace.. I hit about 10-12 drives from the wide FH position. Abt 30 balls in all without missing.

Back to the basics then.. squats, staircases, situps and more Falkenberg!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
S-Loop, do yourself a favor and toss in a few full 2 litre water bottles in your ruck. make it a point to walk up the stairs and for lunch break, take elevator and walk back up stairs to work. If time available, do it once more during the day. You will not get Legs that resemble the size of a tree trunk, but your thighs and waist will will be solid and fit for many athletic tasks that require getting low and exploding up. Situps are not so difficult, use straight extended legs at first if weak. Do not use a foot hold, that causes you to use your thigh quads, you are trying to improve hip flexor strength, which you will need for squating and rotating. If you are not up to a sandbag of 15 Kg, then try a 2 Litre water bottle at first and work your way up to a 6-pack of them. You do not need to do a hundred of them, just as much as you can rapidly do under control until you cannot do them without max effort. That number might be 10, it might be 30 at first. Whatever it is, find out your number, take several days off, then start a few below that number. If you started out doing 15 with the weight, drop it down to 10-12 reps and do only one set. That is it. it is quick and painless. just do the situp fast under control with weight using zero foot bracing. You will be done way under 30 seconds. Increase the number by 1 each day and do just ONE set. Too easy. You will be practically guaranteed to improve for a week or more. When you can do 30-35 with weight in 30 seconds, it is time to increase the weight and go back to max, few days off, drop # of reps, then increase them one per day.

This is very efffective, can be done without expensive equipment or facilities, can be done anywhere, takes under a minute, can be done with any kind of stuff to act as a weight in the right range, and you are motivated by seeing improvement with minimal work. If you get hardcore, you can go for more than one set a day, but that is not needed. This method provides a good balance of resistance, work, and recovery.