Why does one become a chopper?

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

Sep 2012
I suppose some of you are defensive players around here? How and why did you become one?

I remember a guy from my old club back in the day telling me he had no choice, he never managed to improve his poor backhand and his coach made the decision for him. But the reality is, choppers rarely ever have the upper hand against the attackers and allrounders.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
But the reality is, choppers rarely ever have the upper hand against the attackers and allrounders.

I am not 100% sure about this statement. At the highest levels, I would agree. But, if you are of a certain level and you play a chopper who is better than you, a higher level player, he will usually win. When you play a chopper who is about the same level as you, you should be about 50-50 with him. Sometimes one of you will have the upper hand and sometimes the other. If you play a chopper who you are better than, then you should have the upper hand. :) I know, what I just said is obvious. :)

At lower levels of play, often the chopper has an advantage because a low level offensive player might not know how to handle underspin consistently. Often that is where a person decides to be a chopper, where they see they have more success playing defensively and letting the other person mess up. But not always. I have seen that happen a lot though. Where a player starts out as a low level offensive player. Plays a bunch of defensive players. Sees that, at his level, the defensive players are more successful, and choses to learn to play defensively.

However, I know one chopper who is amazing; he is a pro. He was on a team in Japan. On that team he was the second best looper. The coach told the team they needed a chopper to practice against and asked this guy if he would learn to chop so that the team could practice against a good chopper. He did and decided he loved chopping and that it made playing fun for him. His loops are still amazing. But his chopping skills are sick. I think he also likes the fact that if he is playing with someone good enough, when they loop and he chops, they can put on a much better SHOW than usually happens when two offensive players are going head to head. And everyone knows, a crowd of regular people, uneducated in the finer skills of Table Tennis, love watching a good defensive player against a good offensive player and usually root for the defensive player.

All that being said, I think being a defensive player or a chopper has something to do with a mindset, just like being an offensive player or an allround player has to do with a mindset. A defensive player keeps putting the ball back with shots that are basically "safe" and continuously mixes the spin up, and they win many of their points by capitalizing on their opponent's mistakes, regardless of whether that means that the opponent gave them a high ball to attack or misses the table because they misread the spin.

So are you a risk taker? You might like being an offensive player more if you are a risk taker. Would you rather take a few really powerful shots where you clearly overpowered your opponent and won the point, even if you miss almost as often as you land your shots? Do you want to use strength and power in your play? People who would answer yes to these questions would probably rather being an offensive player.

Do you like the mental side of the game? Do you like the tactics and chess aspect of the game where a large part of how you win points has to do with outthinking your opponent? Do like to take shots that are high percentage shots that might not win a point outright but could set you up to control the point and slow down the action so you have more control? Are you okay with winning many of your points because your opponent messed up, because you outthought them, rather than because you put the ball past them? There is a lot of fun involved in simply outthinking someone. If you like that kind of thing. You might make a good defensive player.

Many guys who are offensive players might also be the kind of guy who will walk up to a woman he is attracted to and be more direct and aggressive in pursuit. I know some guys who are single who will walk up to 20-30 girls in a one hour lunch break, trying to get numbers and dates. :)

Many guys who are defensive players might be more the kind of person who takes his time, gets to know the woman, and makes his moves in more subtle ways letting the progression be more mutual so the woman can show interest and participation before he pursues further.

Both methods work. There are advantages to both.

But regardless of whether you are a defensive player, an allround player or an offensive player, learning how to play in all ways will make you a better rounded player. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I was always into attack in my club but i noticed that all the members were just using my power and speed to return and so i was unable to play very fast top spins..i switched to defensive play and now i play pretty good/...i noticed that they make many errors while returning because 1)they are not used to playing chops.]
2) They often misread the spin and speed..That was in my case,,however world class players are very hard to handle i think due to their efficiency..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
"Many guys who are offensive players might also be the kind of guy who will walk up to a woman he is attracted to and be more direct and aggressive in pursuit. I know some guys who are single who will walk up to 20-30 girls in a one hour lunch break, trying to get numbers and dates. :)

Many guys who are defensive players might be more the kind of person who takes his time, gets to know the woman, and makes his moves in more subtle ways letting the progression be more mutual so the woman can show interest and participation before he pursues further."

This made me laugh! Is there a relationship between our playing style and how we try to pick up girls lol.

Reactions: BeGo

M51

M51

Sep 2012
So are you a risk taker?
That's pretty much what it all comes down to. Every truly successful person in history has been a risk taker. It's all about calculated risk. You don't become a champion by playing it safe, it just doesn't happen. I think there's a certain amount of risk behind every major win in one's career or life, whether it's sports, or asking a woman of your dreams to marry you.

Joo Sae Hyuk takes risks all the time, his counterattack is amazing. That's why he's the number one chopper out there, but still, never won anything major.

But not all choppers are like that. A lot of them that I've watched wouldn't counterloop even if their life depended on it. Still, I enjoy watching them. I once saw Matthew Syed give J.P. Gatien hell (that was in Zagreb back in the nineties), and I loved every second of that epic match. Bit the only thing Syed really achieved in the end was wearing Gatien down for his next match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
I am not 100% sure about this statement. At the highest levels, I would agree. But, if you are of a certain level and you play a chopper who is better than you, a higher level player, he will usually win. When you play a chopper who is about the same level as you, you should be about 50-50 with him. Sometimes one of you will have the upper hand and sometimes the other. If you play a chopper who you are better than, then you should have the upper hand. :) I know, what I just said is obvious. :)
Well I have friend, best player in this city, he said - some time ago he learned to play against the defense and now - it doesnt really matter how good the defender is, in fact, he would destroy anyone..
He told me that even in our championships when he meets some defender on his way, he would just go to him before match and thank him for easy win :D
He was joking, lol, but he said then the result is like 11:2, 11:3 and common..
So this is directly against your logic, he is so confident against great defenders..
He saw Evgeni Štetinin in challenger series, he beat there quite good players, he said he would love to play Evgeni. And he would probably beat him.
Hard to say unless he meet him.
But we have one great defender in SVK, I hope he gets to meed thim and then I would say for real, that he was right.
Now its only his words, but he had no reason to lie.

So thats all from me to this topic..

How and why? If I ever become a defender, it will be only because I sooo adore Koji Matsu****a and everytime I try to play defense, its so much fun!
And I even beat very good players, that I really cant beat with my offense.. But for now I am trying to get my level much higher than it is now and so I dont bother with defensive game style..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yeah I agree with Carl. Yes at the top, choppers tend to lose out. However, if you are not at the top, and just play amateur only even intermediate, most people just aren't very accustomed to playing choppers. Here in the US, most choppers are under rated because a whole host of people aren't accustomed to playing against them.

To be able to beat a good chopper, you have to have practiced a good amount against them, otherwise you simply aren't consistent enough to always hit back their chops. Once you practice against that style, then yes you may start finding them a lot easier to play, for for the average amateur and nonprofessional player, its not often that you have a chance to really meet such players who play a serious chopping game.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
"Many guys who are offensive players might also be the kind of guy who will walk up to a woman he is attracted to and be more direct and aggressive in pursuit. I know some guys who are single who will walk up to 20-30 girls in a one hour lunch break, trying to get numbers and dates. :)

Many guys who are defensive players might be more the kind of person who takes his time, gets to know the woman, and makes his moves in more subtle ways letting the progression be more mutual so the woman can show interest and participation before he pursues further."

This made me laugh! Is there a relationship between our playing style and how we try to pick up girls lol.

This is sort of what the field of psychology is about. Of course it is not always as simple as I am presenting, but our patterns of behavior in one aspect of our lives can sometimes be related to our patterns of behavior in another aspect of our lives. Being a defensive player is more complicated than I have presented it to be, but, it is definitely a reflection of a pattern of behavior, and a personal tendency that a particular person has. And, not only do we start with certain tendencies, sometimes a particular activity, like learning to play a defensive style of table tennis can cause a person to start relating to people outside of table tennis differently; perhaps in, say, a more planned and calculated manner.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well I have friend, best player in this city, he said - some time ago he learned to play against the defense and now - it doesnt really matter how good the defender is, in fact, he would destroy anyone..
He told me that even in our championships when he meets some defender on his way, he would just go to him before match and thank him for easy win :D
He was joking, lol, but he said then the result is like 11:2, 11:3 and common..
So this is directly against your logic, he is so confident against great defenders..
He saw Evgeni Štetinin in challenger series, he beat there quite good players, he said he would love to play Evgeni. And he would probably beat him.
Hard to say unless he meet him.
But we have one great defender in SVK, I hope he gets to meed thim and then I would say for real, that he was right.
Now its only his words, but he had no reason to lie.

So thats all from me to this topic..

How and why? If I ever become a defender, it will be only because I sooo adore Koji Matsu****a and everytime I try to play defense, its so much fun!
And I even beat very good players, that I really cant beat with my offense.. But for now I am trying to get my level much higher than it is now and so I dont bother with defensive game style..

If he is the best player in the city, is he really playing defenders who are of a higher level than him?

My bet would be that if he played Joo See Hyuk, Joo might win. :)

But, there are some players who are really good at playing against defenders and better at playing defenders than playing other offensive players. Still, there are probably defenders who are at a level that is a higher level than the defenders this guy is good at playing, where the underspin is heavier and the mixing of spin is disguised better than this guy is able to handle; where they can just bring back more of the attacks of the player they are facing with shots that are harder to handle and are placed in more awkward positions to deal with.

Nevertheless, it is a real talent to be able to be really good at playing against high level defenders.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I completely agree with Carl on this, its just how good you are in your style that matters not what style you play. Look at Joo's personality , he is a fighter .

“Behcet’s Disease is a chronic disease. Therefore, I had to play, tolerating the pain,” Joo said.

Probably 90% would give up playing competitive sport at the highest level if we have such a chronic disease. But then its much more demanding to become a defender, you need to have tremendous physical fitness , stamina and mental toughness to become one.