Backhand Flick spin ... Is it that much hard???

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Anticipate correctly, stay on balance, move in under the table quickly, stay on balance, look over the ball, adjust blade angle for spin, impact ball at net height or top of bounce, drive through the ball for speed, graze more for moar spin, use wrist in proper time, step back right away to finish FH or BH.

Getting over the ball (looking over it at 45 degree angle) is a very effective way to see the ball better and you naturally adjust your bat angle better. being in good position is the single most best thing you can do to help your chances of landing this shot. if you are out of position, your are screwed no matter how good your shot is.

Reactions: amr_tareef
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Anticipate correctly, stay on balance, move in under the table quickly, stay on balance, look over the ball, adjust blade angle for spin, impact ball at net height or top of bounce, drive through the ball for speed, graze more for moar spin, use wrist in proper time, step back right away to finish FH or BH.

Getting over the ball (looking over it at 45 degree angle) is a very effective way to see the ball better and you naturally adjust your bat angle better. being in good position is the single most best thing you can do to help your chances of landing this shot. if you are out of position, your are screwed no matter how good your shot is.

Thanks Der_Echte for those nice tips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
In fact you brush the ball more on the side compared to a loop. It's much easier to get it right with sidespin than with topspin, especially on a backspin serve. I suggest you watch the Koki Niwa / Kenta Matsudaira - Wang Hao / Zhou Yu match, where the Japanese pair do it all the time xD

Reactions: amr_tareef
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
In fact you brush the ball more on the side compared to a loop. It's much easier to get it right with sidespin than with topspin, especially on a backspin serve. I suggest you watch the Koki Niwa / Kenta Matsudaira - Wang Hao / Zhou Yu match, where the Japanese pair do it all the time xD
Thank you .I will try from sidespin first.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I assume you're referring to the banana flick return of service and yes as Wiwa mentioned it's a sidespin underspin attack. If you do it properly you should corkscrew the ball into an underspin shot toward the wider forehand or the deep backhand. It's meant as an opening attack meaning your opponent should have to spin the ball more than drive it and thus the topspin produced from the spin is much easier for you to drive or loop kill.

If you have a good backhand smash and backhand loop then you are more than likely hitting the back of the ball for your shots. For this particular shot you want to be hitting 5-7 o'clock on the ball depending on where you're aiming.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Even though not perfect (yet), I'm a frequent user of the technique let me add two tiny bity advice as others have covered the technique well on their posts:
Do NOT tense your arm before the start of the (short) swing.
Do NOT use only your arm power but also the body (and legs?).

There is a good poster (set of images) in this forum somewhere but I have no luck finding it..

Here is a video too:

Hope this helps, Sir..

Last edited: