RPB Rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Which rubbers are the most appropriate for reverse penhold backhand? I am looking for something with a little more zip than what I am currently using - DHS Hurricane III (2.0mm). My blade is the Yasaka Gatien Extra (C-pen, of course), so I do realize that my blade's ALL/ALL+ rating comes into effect when talking about speed or lack of speed. I am pretty well decided on DHS Skyline TG3 Neo for the forehand... just looking for some suggestions, preferably first hand experience.

Here are some rubbers I am considering for RPB:

DHS TinARC 3 (Wang Hao's RPB rubber of choice)
Yasaka Rakza 7 or 9 (Formerly used by Ma Lin)
Friendship/729 Cream Transcend (I have used this one before)
Butterfly Sriver Series (Formerly used by both Wang Hao and Ma Lin, albeit with Bryce sponges)

What do you think? Thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
For me, the weight is more important than speed, and also control is more important. As DHS rubber is somewhat heavy, my RPB rubber is nimbus, which is soft and light.

But if you learn RPB since the very beginning, then you may ignore this >.>

says wah sama dong kalo gitu... maen pingpong dari kelas...
says wah sama dong kalo gitu... maen pingpong dari kelas...
Nov 2011
For me, the weight is more important than speed, and also control is more important. As DHS rubber is somewhat heavy, my RPB rubber is nimbus, which is soft and light.

But if you learn RPB since the very beginning, then you may ignore this >.>
that's simply right

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
DHS TinARC 3 (Wang Hao's RPB rubber of choice)
Yasaka Rakza 7 or 9 (Formerly used by Ma Lin)
Friendship/729 Cream Transcend (I have used this one before)
Butterfly Sriver Series (Formerly used by both Wang Hao and Ma Lin, albeit with Bryce sponges)
What do you think? Thanks!

Regarding Rakza 7 and 9, both of them are quality rubbers and you can't go wrong with them, imho. They're hard but you're used to H3 anyway. There's Rakza 7 Soft if you want to try something softer. Btw Ma Lin never used them :). Wang Hao still uses Sriver on boosted Bryce sponge.
Rakza 7 is lighter than 9, but I don't know if you even want a light rubber.

(But maybe a lighter racket will help avoid wrist problems down the line...? And you might find it easier to whip the wrist for certain shots.)

From the Friendship range, 729 Cream Tr. won't give you the speed upgrade you're looking for. You could try Focus III Snipe, it's much softer and lighter than what you're used to, and faster as well. Not as good as Rakza, but cheap and good value.

What do you mean by reverse penhold backhand?
When I think of it, it seems technically impossible.
Do you mean just Penhold backhand?

It's what the guy in your avatar does with his backhand rubber :). As opposed to blocking with the forehand side like one-sided penholders.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
Hi there, I have played with RPB now for about half a year (originally used TBH always), tried about 3-4 rubbers. I actually found that best result came from tenergy 05 and also very surprisingly an old GLOBE 999 chinese rubber. The former is very fast (no surprises there) and is good for close to table RPB loops/drives and side spins, the latter is a very tacky rubber but works well if you have time to setup your RPP shots. I still use TBH blocks as well though in all cases. I have tried also Palio Macro (I think a very good all round rubber) but it didn't go well for the RPB as it didn't let me brush so easily with RPB, to be fair that was my first RPB rubber so it's also possible my RPB was too unstable back then. I am about to try Stiga Boost TX (the one Xu Xin uses on the backhand) but I would like to hear if anyone has tried a Butterfly Sriver or Bryce Speed, as I understand this is Wang Hao's choice, who is obviously the RPB master. Interested to hear other people's choice for RPB rubbers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
I am about to try Stiga Boost TX (the one Xu Xin uses on the backhand) but I would like to hear if anyone has tried a Butterfly Sriver or Bryce Speed, as I understand this is Wang Hao's choice, who is obviously the RPB master. Interested to hear other people's choice for RPB rubbers!

Btw Wang Hao uses Sriver on a custom sponge, with lots of booster like most top players. Any commercially available Sriver rubber won't be anything like what he's using.
Xu Xin uses Tenergy on his backhand.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Regarding Rakza 7 and 9, both of them are quality rubbers and you can't go wrong with them, imho. They're hard but you're used to H3 anyway. There's Rakza 7 Soft if you want to try something softer. Btw Ma Lin never used them :). Wang Hao still uses Sriver on boosted Bryce sponge.
Rakza 7 is lighter than 9, but I don't know if you even want a light rubber.

(But maybe a lighter racket will help avoid wrist problems down the line...? And you might find it easier to whip the wrist for certain shots.)

From the Friendship range, 729 Cream Tr. won't give you the speed upgrade you're looking for. You could try Focus III Snipe, it's much softer and lighter than what you're used to, and faster as well. Not as good as Rakza, but cheap and good value.

It's what the guy in your avatar does with his backhand rubber :). As opposed to blocking with the forehand side like one-sided penholders.
Just realised that was a reverse LOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Read 3 reviews
I am pretty sure Xu Xin has been using Stiga Calibra LT at least in 2012. I have seen that being stated in many forums, according to Stiga website and most convincingly in Xu Xin's match against Kim Min Seok in WTTTC in Dortmund on Youtube you can see the orange sponge of the Calibra LT. I have now improved RPB a lot and can manage 2-3 stable loops close and mid distance from table before switching to forehand. I now feel fairly confident that Tenergy 05 does a very good job with spinny loops and with some adjustments in technique the shots are of a good pace at least for club level. I am about to try Bryce Speed FX and Tenergy 64 and at some point Calibra LT so will get back on this topic! I have read on other forums that pretty much any of the Srivers do a good job of developing this technique. One last point, Stiga Boost TX was too fast a rubber for RPB in my opinion, especially if you have to block or hit with RPB. Would be interested in other people's comments.