feels like cheating when using long pips!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
have anyone felt the same way?.. people complain and say that the long pips is doing all the work and it's kinda frustrating. I know that legally it is not cheating. I'm using it on my backhand side to shop and I'm not covering a flaw or weakness or anything.. my backhand is actually my stronger and better side when I was using the smooth rubber.. I just wanna improve my game as chopper(was not consistently a defender/chopper before using long pips) and I think long pips is the way to go.
I normally win just 1 set in a 3 set game here when playing against the more experienced looper or attacker but using the long pips, it became easier to win against them.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
On the TT forums, we talk about this all the time. Usually, it is about some opponet(s) who feel you are a cheater, or at least some type of player who should be banned. Usually, these complaining players are the ones who do not understand how the LP work, or are not trained well enough to cope with them.

My say on the matter is tough luck Biatch. The surface is legal and you need to learn how to cope with it.

I enjoy playing vs defenders or players with LP on their BH side. These kind of matches make me think and gives me many chances to attack vs unders spin or knuckle. I particularly enjoy serving right into the LPs and get teh LP player to net my serve and watch their bewieldered expression "How the F^%$ did I put that serve into the net?" Yes Virginaia, even with LPs you have to read spin and adjust bat angle, but yes, you can get away with a little more error on serve return using LPs, but they are not immune to spin. You use the wrong bat angle vs a heavy underspin you misread and it is point over just like you misread spin and were using inverted rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Cheating --> Against the rules.
As long as you use ITTF approved pips, NO you are NOT cheating.

If you feel an unfair advantage in your level atm, try stepping up your game with pips and unless you, Sir, know how to use pips to such an extent, you will mostly get crushed.
A similar story, I used pips for around 2 years even though my backhand is stronger.
Now I am back to duo inverted with twists of modern defending for a reason :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
well I find it difficult to play against players with LPs, I definitely think its a good thing to do often. Playing against players with these types of rubbers really expands your game significantly. You become a lot better at making decisions in a split second, because you are forced to adjust your swings and the way you contact ball. You can not simply rely solely on habit and muscle memory to execute your normal spin, but instead are forced to develop better and faster instincts. In addition, since you have to hit a lot of balls flatter than you otherwise would, it helps develop those particular shots in your repertoire.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2010
I don't feel it is cheating to play with LPs. I play with LPs. Tonight I will play against LPs. LPs are different but once one knows how LPs work and is aware of how to cope with LPs it is relatively easy to counter them. It still boils down to the relative skill of the players.

This user has no status.
IMO, the people who complained about playing against long pips are losers. They will always complain about something or the other when they lose. A pity for them, they have flaws in their mental game.
I play against long/medium/short pips in my club and when you learn to cope with them, it's very easy to counter them. In fact, it feels like I'm cheating when playing against them because I know how to force them to return the type of spins I want.
Don't lose heart about the complaint about you using long pips. If you're comfortable playing with it, it's your style. Don't change it because of those losers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
I quite enjoy playing against long pimples to be honest. You can dictate the game a lot better than your opponent can.
If you come against someone who can attack & hit well with it then you might be in trouble!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
People says it is cheating because they never learn how the spin works differently on pip outs and pip in. They mostly care about what rubber/paddle Zhou yu, Yan An or the almighty ZJK uses.

I think I did emphasize alots of time over here, I recall my very first TT lesson is not straight away pick the paddle and learn how to do FH to FH loop. But instead, our coach teaches us how the spin created by the inverted rubber. After like one or two months, then he also start to explain alittle about the pip outs, how should we think about the spin when we play with pip outs.

This user has no status.
They should view playing against long pips as an opportunity to improve their table tennis skills. Table tennis is a mind-intensive sports. If you mind is not well-prepared, your body won't play good table tennis as well. I bet those players who complained against long pips will freeze when they know their opponents using anything other than the regular interted rubbers.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Keep on playing and improving. If people are complaining about the equipment you are using, they are the ones with the problem. Long Pips is a good and important tool for a chopper. If the long-pips is too easy for you to play with jump up to playing with people who are an even higher level. Then your technique will improve even more. :) Nothing wrong with playing against people who are better than you who will not complain against your equipment. As you get better you will start being able to take matches from them too. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Keep on playing and improving. If people are complaining about the equipment you are using, they are the ones with the problem. Long Pips is a good and important tool for a chopper. If the long-pips is too easy for you to play with jump up to playing with people who are an even higher level. Then your technique will improve even more. :) Nothing wrong with playing against people who are better than you who will not complain against your equipment. As you get better you will start being able to take matches from them too. :)

Well said indeed. That's why we all love this game. Different playing styles, various types of equipment and lots of fun. As long as you enjoy the style you play with no need to worry about opponents complaining about styles and equipment.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl