Women Pro's vs Men Pro's (VIDS)

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Okay guys, over the last few years I have read on many occassions what happens if a professional women's player meets a top man player. For example, where would the world number 1 women's player of the world be ranked in the men's rankings?

This has been an interesting discussion/debate with many forum members all over the world for many years. So I thought I would put a thread together with some videos for us to discuss. A recent video that has been posted on youtube which was taken at the recent Killerspin Chicago International Table Tennis Festival saw Ding ning the current world number 1 women's player face Jorgen Persson! Okay, so it is not a real match, you can still get a feel of the difference I think :)

dingningjorg.jpg

Ding Ning vs Jorgen Persson!

Zhang Yining vs Lucjan Blaszczyk

If anyone has any other videos of professional women players versus the men please submit in this thread :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
It's obvious. Men always dominate women.

These videos demonstrate there is a good reason why for almost every professional sport, champions are chosen from their own gender and physical ability (ie. para-olympics etc.). The top man in any sport will "always" beat the best women in the same sport. Unless poker is a sport.
~adam

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
I'd like to add for Ding Ning's defense that her dress is ridiculously impractical, that's adding a disadvantage.
(From my experience, a girl who feels the need to pull down her skirt more than once per minute is obviously uncomfortable !)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
The top man in any sport will "always" beat the best women in the same sport. Unless poker is a sport.
~adam

Actually there was a discussion about that in the Olympics about shooting and archery : in these sports, women achieve results pretty similar results than men. Some were wondering why these sports were not mixt. These being said, you can also discuss if shooting is a sport. ^^

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Prithwin : I hope she was ! But this dress story made me kind of angry at the moment, since I saw the images of the Chicago event just after reading awful comments on youtube about the looks of Chinese players. Things like "they look like men, they behave like men, they're a shame for sports, they should wear skirts not shorts", and the worse of all : "I'd prefer them to play worse but look prettier". >_<

Not only this shows a very narrow view of what beauty is and what women should be (most female players are actually pretty - they just have bad haircuts - and Ding Ning is drop dead gorgeous to me), but also that people forget what these women are in first place : athletes (and not models). Give this dress to Ding Ning for a show or a ceremony ? Sure, she's amazing in it ! But for a match ? I don't think it's the best place to remind her that "she's a woman and should wear dresses".
Sorry for this feminist pamphlet >_<, but I really hate when people want absolutely see female athletes being "feminine".

Back on the subject : I'd really like to see a real match between Ding Ning and a great male player, she would probably not win in the end, but I'm sure she would fight for real ! Li Xiaoxia and Feng Yalan could probably make a good show too.

Reactions: Tahli1
Administrator
Oct 2010
Back on the subject : I'd really like to see a real match between Ding Ning and a great male player, she would probably not win in the end, but I'm sure she would fight for real ! Li Xiaoxia and Feng Yalan could probably make a good show too.

Totally agree I would love to to! Would be so interesting! From the looks of the above video I think Persson would just be a bit to quick and powerful for Ding Ning as he drops off and has time on the ball.

ITTF or an organisation should set up a team event... Like Asia vs World where the teams are mixed about. That would be cool! :)

Ding Ning, Ma Long, Wang Hao, Zhang Jike vs Ai Fukuhara, Timo Boll, Dimitrij Ovtcharov, Jun Mizutani

:)

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Hold on - looks like that polish chap, with the unpronouncable name whatever it is got beaten in the clip above...plus, he was acting like a **** by taking too long between points etc...but still got mullered :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
Just to hop in: Didnt a chinese young lady had a better result in the olympics in the swimming competition than the male USA superstars.

It's actually a bit more complicated : Ye Shiwen (that's her name ^^) was competing in 400m and 200m four styles, and her global results are below the men's time. However, she impressed everyone because her last 50m in the 400m were extremly fast, faster than the men's champion Ryan Lochte, so it was suggested that if she competed in men's 50m ot 100m she could have a honorable performance, or even win.

The American coach accused her of doping, but as far as we know she's clean, just amazing - and only 16 years-old !

Last edited:
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
It's actually a bit more complicated : Ye Shiwen (that's her name ^^) was competing in 400m and 200m four styles, and he global results are below the men's time. However, she impressed everyone because her last 50m in the 400m were extremly fast, faster than the men's champion Ryan Lochte, so it was suggested that if she competed in men's 50m ot 100m she could have a honorable performance, or even win.

The American coach accused her of doping, but as far as we know she's clean, just amazing - and only 16 years old's !

That's exactly the girl i ment! Sorry for my misleading information and thanks for clearing that up!
Amazing, with just 16 years to compete on such a high level!