My VHS records..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hello, so, I finally got and opportunity to copy my VHS recordings into the computer!
I also edited some videos and decided to share and upload them on youtube.
I really hope you will like some of those, because there are some LEGENDARY matches!
I have 43 matches in total, from European Champions league 1999/2000 and 2000/2001.
I also have videos from European Championships 2002, Japan open 2002 final and some matches from WTTC 2003.
I will start this topic, that I will use as a serie of my videos, with an awesome match of Borussia Düsseldorf vs Levallois UTT from november 8th 1999, where an amazing defender from Japan - Koji Matsushita met lefthanded frenchman Jean-Philippe Gatien, known as a man with trademark forehand topspin killer and also as a man with one of the hardest forehand topspins in the history of the game!
Commentator is mr. Matthew Syed from GB and it really is a joy to watch!
Too bad I do not have it complete, I have first game from 8:3 and also end of second and beginning of the third one is missing..
Not really my fault, but happened..

Who doesnt want to watch it whole, here is an HIGHLIGHT video:

But I STRONGLY recommend to watch it whole in here:

Enjoy!

PS: The next match will be from the same day. This was actually match 2 after Vladimir Samsonov beat Christophe Legout. Next match I have recorded is match no. 4 ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
where you get these old videos //??
Well, I recorded them like 13 years ago :)
I kept them all on my VHS tapes till now, when I finally got a device allowing me to copy it into the computer..
Now the action goes online! :)
I will upload next video very soon.. I think tomorrow will be perfect day for upload ;)
Any guesses of what match will it be? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
No, that will come up later, but notice, that I am not exactly a Waldner fan :)
Anyways, this next match is from the same day as the first one (just like I mentioned).
The match was played between Borussia Düsseldorf and Levallois UTT.
First match was won by Vladi Samsonov, who beat quite easily Christophe Legout. Levallois felt, that they had to win the second match to keep the hopes alive, but Gatien lost to Matsushita, as you could see in my first upload. The third match should be the final one, because there was Jorgen Rosskopf playing Patrick Chila, and he beat him like 4 times in a row! But this time Chila won so we got the fourth match - Vladimir Samsonov vs. Jean-Philippe Gatien.
Gatien before the match said, that he feels like he can beat at that time world best player and number one in the rankings - Vladi.
And the match showed that it was no empty guts!
What an excellent match it was!
If you dont want to watch it whole, you can watch the HIGHLIGHTS version here:

Or for the full match watch this one:

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and janus
This user has no status.
Now I'm starting to appreciate Gatien's FH, it is so good, so speedy and smooth! I think if not for his weaker BH wing, he would have won the 1992 Olympics instead of Waldner (he was always trying to pivot and use his FH whole table that it was exploited heavily by Waldner in that match)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
U need to know how to bypass the Great Firewall of China, there should be many friends who can help you on that... :)
I had some software which can bypass the firewall, but the access speed is quite slow after running them, still can't watch the vedio :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
This match was played november 29th 1999, when Caen came into Ochsenhausen.
Unbeaten team so far, Caen, was expected to get an easy win. With Persson, Wang Liqin and Damien Eloi, first match was Ma Wenge vs Jörgen Persson.
Ma Wenge knew, that he has to win, because next matches were Kreanga vs. Wang Liqin and Hakkanson vs. Eloi, so if he lose, Ochsenhausen will probably lose 3:0.
Ma Wenge with NO LOSS in the league so far, was about to face a huge scare to his unbeaten record. A match full of great rallies and amazing shots, with such intensity and excitement will blow your mind! :)

If you dont want to see the whole match, you can check out the highlights video here:

But, as usual, I strongly recommend to watch the full match as it happened, here:

Reactions: talbon and janus
This user has no status.
omg Ma Wenge was sooo fast during that time, that I feel that he's really not that far away from Ma Long (though he had the advantage of speed glue and 38mm balls)! Samsonov was a real beast too, so relaxed and powerful and in control all the time. I feel Timo modelled his game after Gatien, their fast FH topspin (favoring speed over power) looks so similar.

It was so easy to make the balls fly so fast in those days, now the ball seems like a brick to me haha....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
So.. as I said in the previous post, this match was played november 29th 1999, when Caen came into Ochsenhausen.
After first match, where Ma Wenge lost to Jörgen Persson, Ochsenhausen were in deep trouble.
The tough line-up with Kalinikos Kreanga vs. Wang Liqin and Fredrik Håkansson vs. Damien Eloi it was all looking like they are going to lose 0:3!
This was already the second meeting of these two teams and in the first one Kreanga lost to Wang Liqin 2:0 (21:18, 21:13), so noone expected different result this time.
But still, a great match! Ochsenhausen crowd lifted their man to unbelieveable performance and he gave Wang Liqin some really tough time..
Long swinging forehands, unleashed backhands, Kreanga backhands I should say, the ball spinned so much that you never seen curves like that before!!!
A match, where the momentum switches so unpredictably, where you feel like one has to lose and suddenly its different!
You just have to see it!!!

You can choose to watch the HIGHLIGHT version here:

But you have to watch it with full lenght, and Matthew Syed commentary!
Watch it here:

I hope you like it ;-)

Next match Hakansson vs. Eloi I do not have recorded..
But I do have Ma Wenge vs. Wang Liqin.. that one will be next one uploaded ;)

This user has no status.
So.. as I said in the previous post, this match was played november 29th 1999, when Caen came into Ochsenhausen.
After first match, where Ma Wenge lost to Jörgen Persson, Ochsenhausen were in deep trouble.
The tough line-up with Kalinikos Kreanga vs. Wang Liqin and Fredrik Håkansson vs. Damien Eloi it was all looking like they are going to lose 0:3!
This was already the second meeting of these two teams and in the first one Kreanga lost to Wang Liqin 2:0 (21:18, 21:13), so noone expected different result this time.
But still, a great match! Ochsenhausen crowd lifted their man to unbelieveable performance and he gave Wang Liqin some really tough time..
Long swinging forehands, unleashed backhands, Kreanga backhands I should say, the ball spinned so much that you never seen curves like that before!!!
A match, where the momentum switches so unpredictably, where you feel like one has to lose and suddenly its different!
You just have to see it!!!

You can choose to watch the HIGHLIGHT version here:

But you have to watch it with full lenght, and Matthew Syed commentary!
Watch it here:

I hope you like it ;-)

Next match Hakansson vs. Eloi I do not have recorded..
But I do have Ma Wenge vs. Wang Liqin.. that one will be next one uploaded ;)

LOL I heard from the commentator that WLQ has a poor return of service....