Trainning in China

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Could you please elaborate how chinese technique is different from european? I'm very curious, is that arm swings a bit higher and european usually hit the ball a bit lower or something else

It's very different. It's hard to explain but the biggest difference is that they use the whole body much better to get force to the hit. Feet in the right position and stomach tightened. Rotating with the whole body gives a lot more speed to the hit. They also focus more on speed than spin, so the racket should actually be quite open when you hit the ball. Another important thing is to keep your arm relaxed all the time, not press your racket to much with your arm. Those are the most important things..
As I said it's difficult to explain it precisely but they showed and taught us it very well. It's easier to show people how to do it than tell :p

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Hi guys, I went to china for one month last summer for training and to play in the China open. The main differences in China with the training is the amount of time that you play, obviously they train normally about 6 hours a day. I spent most of my time there training in a shanghai school and university and I found that the training exercises involved a lot more serve and receive and not so much regular practice.

The training was in tense and we did multi ball training everyday. It was a fantastic experience and I learnt so much in the time I was there. My personal opinion is that when you go training in china you shouldn't expect to improve a lot straight away but it enables you to learn a lot so you can continue to imprve in the future. :)

Here's me with my TTD T-Shirt in the crowd at the China Open :)

tomchina.jpg

After practicing in the training hall of the China Open me and Liam met Timo Boll and Dimitrij Ovtcharov!
tomchina1.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Aug 2012
Hi guys, I went to china for one month last summer for training and to play in the China open. The main differences in China with the training is the amount of time that you play, obviously they train normally about 6 hours a day. I spent most of my time there training in a shanghai school and university and I found that the training exercises involved a lot more serve and receive and not so much regular practice.

The training was in tense and we did multi ball training everyday. It was a fantastic experience and I learnt so much in the time I was there. My personal opinion is that when you go training in china you shouldn't expect to improve a lot straight away but it enables you to learn a lot so you can continue to imprve in the future. :)

Here's me with my TTD T-Shirt in the crowd at the China Open :)

tomchina.jpg

After practicing in the training hall of the China Open me and Liam met Timo Boll and Dimitrij Ovtcharov!
tomchina1.jpg

do you know if liam pitchford boosts his rubbers?

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews

Of what age was the players in the Shanghai school/university? Your training there seems to be quite different than mine in Beijing. We did multiball also everyday but when we had "normal" practice we didn't have so much serve and receiving. It was much more "no-serve"-exercises. I think the reason to this is that the players in the school in Beijing are younger and need more "ball on table"-exercises (train safety).

Last edited:
says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
One more thing about how the training in China is different. When I was training in the Beijing school we played A LOT of sets/matches. We played often like half of the practice only sets/matches. And that was not only once a week but nearly every day. I think that was great. Playing matches is the best way to improve as a a player :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Could you please elaborate how chinese technique is different from european? I'm very curious, is that arm swings a bit higher and european usually hit the ball a bit lower or something else

You know how when you do the forehand loop, and they always say that the forehand should end at your eyebrow? Well, I watched a few videos where the Europeans forehands don't really follow that principle and they just make the forehand end on the other side of their head, meaning they swing too much unnecessarily.

And another video I watch (of which I will link at the bottom), shows that when Europeans reach and lunge for the ball (e.g. if they are on the left hand side of the table and the ball ends up being returned by the opponent to the right hand side) to do a forehand topspin and they do successfully return it and then the opponent returns it successfully as well, the player just uses backhand to, whereas for Chinese players, they lunge for the ball to make a successful forehand topspin and then, combined with footwork, make another forehand topspin. Basically, the principle for good footwork and successful technique is that rather than having one forehand and backhand (as Europeans usually do and because it's much easier which means compromising their forehand), it's better to have 2 strong forehands to ensure a strong recovery. Here's the video:

The chinese coach's explanation is actually quite good!

Last edited:
says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Yeh your right they players I was training with were between 16 and 22 so they a=were already high level and worked a lot on serve and receive training and also normal excessive to. We also did sometimes half the training sessions like match play and sets too :)

Yea, that school is probably like the "2nd stage" for the players and the Beijing school is "1st stage".

How good was the players there (what world ranking do you think the average players there would have)? Also how expensive was it to stay at the school (hotel,food and training)?

Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
Yeh exactly, it was a very high level training and the players, Normally European players can't train there but I went with a friend who's mother is Chinese and knows the coach. Most of the players would be around 300 world ranking but there were about 5 or 6 players that would have a world ranking of around 100 if they played tournaments haha. The cost was good, it was £60 per day for training 6 hours, all food and to stay in the university.

But I think this was a really good price because my friend knew the coach, normally it would be more.

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Yeh exactly, it was a very high level training and the players, Normally European players can't train there but I went with a friend who's mother is Chinese and knows the coach. Most of the players would be around 300 world ranking but there were about 5 or 6 players that would have a world ranking of around 100 if they played tournaments haha. The cost was good, it was £60 per day for training 6 hours, all food and to stay in the university.

But I think this was a really good price because my friend knew the coach, normally it would be more.

Very nice :) thanks for replying :) what's your WR btw?

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Thats no problem :) I don't really have a world ranking at the moment because i don't play many international tournaments. But I'm top 20 in the uk at the moment

Allright, it's very good to be in the top-20 :)
You should definitely also take a trick shot on video and submit it to the TTD trick video :)

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews

Me and Tom will do some trick shots together and post it to you some time next week @EditingSports :)

I'm thinking some back shots, around the net shots and maybe a crazy cartwheel haha!