Trainning in China

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2011
Richard Prause said: "The biggest difference? All best chinese players train together."

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I've never been in Europe so I can't compare it to China.
I got training there once, 5 hr per day for 2-3 weeks? I can't remember the weeks.
I started getting better and better very fast when I stopped lessons I kinda slacked off and didn't play table tennis for a long period of time so I've lost so much skill. I feel it was better when you were coached privately because every student my age is at school studying very hard and I trained with children in primary school, it was kinda embarrassing. I learned from a range of things mainly of offensive style, I started learning footwork first because it was the most important.

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Actually I've been in China twice to train there a couple of weeks each time. Those trips were really nice. I was in a sports school in Beijing (same from where Ma Long and Ding Ning has come from). It was 5h training/day and 6 days/week. This school had quite young players, everything from 7 to 15- or 16- years old I believe.
The trainings were very different than European trainings. Firstly, the warming up was very long, we hit sometimes like 20 minutes only FH.. Secondly, the exercises we made was quite easy. The point in that was to do many repeats and in that way become a more secure player. Even the youngest were like machines when doing those exercises, they were so secure doing them. But when we started to play matches it was different of course, it was quite easy to win the youngest players because they didn't really have match experience (retrieving serves etc.).

The couches were quite tight on the chinese players, they really wanted them to do well when they played against us. They made sure that we got good practice, even though they didn't give us so much advices. But what they taught us was totally different things than we had been taught to here in Europe. The technique is so different (especially for FH). After some weeks of training there I had my best FH ever, but when I returned back to Finland it kind of disappeared again because nobody knows that real (chinese) technique. So my playing style kind of returned to the same old "European"-style after some months.

Anyway it was truly amazing trips. I totally recommend to go and experience it yourself also. You can't imagine the level of the players before you see them with your own eyes. We actually also got to play with maybe the best 7-year-old boy in the world, he was unbelievable good. But table tennis is probably the only sport in the world that makes it possible for a 7-year-old to be as good as many (ok/good-leveled) adults.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
there is a thread with this information that i think it is buried in this forum long time ago. I can't recall if the camp is open for certain period, but you can register through some agent in US. Then cost i think is somewhere around 1k USD for the one between 4-5 days.

As for the kids kind of leave the foreigner aside, I believe because english is not much learned in china until their secondary or high school. So do not expect most of them able to communicate with you, even the coach over there. Since this point is the most misunderstanding by westerner who mother tongue is english.

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
It's not just training. I think the 2nd practice ended at like 4 or 5pm and then you could do anything in the evenings (go eat/shopping/watch some cool shows etc). Besides that we took also a day off at some point of the week to visit the biggest tourist attractions (Great Wall etc). You can organise the trip as you self want. It was a very cool trip for us.

Reactions: revulucao
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
there is a thread with this information that i think it is buried in this forum long time ago. I can't recall if the camp is open for certain period, but you can register through some agent in US. Then cost i think is somewhere around 1k USD for the one between 4-5 days.
Sounds like that agent is ripping people off.

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
how much time did where there? you are convincing me to go!

We were there 2 weeks and had time to do everything else also (shopping, visiting tourist attractions...), it's much training but you have time to do other things too :)

Haha yea, I recommend the trip for anyone who is interested in it, it was awesome :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
The technique is so different (especially for FH). After some weeks of training there I had my best FH ever

Could you please elaborate how chinese technique is different from european? I'm very curious, is that arm swings a bit higher and european usually hit the ball a bit lower or something else