says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
According to the recent ITTF Athletes' Commission report on December 2012 it states as follows:

"Jun Mizutani had stopped competing due to the use of boosters and tuners, which could not be detected through the racket control process."

There has been speculation, rumors that Jun Mizutani protested to ITTF because 'other' players use illegal boosters in many events. It's believed Mizutani has pulled out of ITTF tournaments to put some pressure on the ITTF to get this issue resolve.

Athletes Commission report here
Japanese Article here

What have you heard? Your thoughts?

mizutaniboosterboycott.jpg

Jun Mizutani: Photo by: Feng Li/Getty Images Europe

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Once I heard that the japanese team was the only one among the tops who doesn't use boosted/tunned materials, and I think that instead of boycott all the thinks they should come along with the others and stuff, using what everybody are using.

Since it's impossible to detect those chemicals used on the material, the only viable solution would be making the players mount their rackets over supervision, like the rubbers comes factory sealed and blades and verified by the ITTF bureaucrats, then they gluing with glue provided by the tournament.

I think Mizutani should rethink his decision and play anyway.

says Best setup ever for a modern defender :D
says Best setup ever for a modern defender :D
Jan 2011
I think that he is doing the right thing, even though this will not change anything, he is making a clear point and a fair one. We all know the top players in the world use booster and it is fair to stand against it. However if he stops playing, Japan will lose one of the best players (if not the best in its recent history) for team and singles competition

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2012
unboosted rubbers suck. Speed glue was banned primarily for health effects. Oil-boosters pose no health risk. They make the game more enjoyable to play and watch. I appreciate the fair play of Mizutani, but I would rather try to convince the ittf to legalize boosters so that everyone can use them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Admirable choice indeed..

In the other hand, however, ITTF has actually employed a rule about banning all types of tuning and boosting in 2014 (please correct me if I am wrong) together with the new poly ball..

Until such time, I don't know if Jun's decision could affect ITTF's decision..
Hopefully Jun's sacrifice could make a change in our sport of table tennis.. For the better..

It's good to know that Jun together with many players around the world is still hoping for a clean table tennis play.. This time equipment-wise..

Kudos to Jun Mizutani of Japan!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
unboosted rubbers suck. Speed glue was banned primarily for health effects. Oil-boosters pose no health risk. They make the game more enjoyable to play and watch. I appreciate the fair play of Mizutani, but I would rather try to convince the ittf to legalize boosters so that everyone can use them.
Absolutely agree. There is nothing wrong with boosters, apart from the fact that you can't play for a couple of days when boosting :/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012

The thing is, is that not EVERYONE is going to use boosters and obviously that wouldn't be fair for players that choose not to. In order for a good game, everything has to be equal in terms of the equipment. Rather than boosting to make it more exciting, it's better off that these players actually train more and improve themselves rather than use boosters (in ITTF tournaments) to give them the upperhand. Now THAT is much more legitimate and exciting in my opinion!

However, because you're not one of these professionals, of course in your perspective it would be much more fun and enjoyable (It would be hella enjoyable even for me since I know I can give the ball so much more speed) but you have to remember that Jun Mizutani is doing this in terms of professional players and the fair play needed in such important tournaments!

FYI, Marty Reisman, a Ping Pong legend back in the day said that back in the days, there was no speed glue, no serve hiding, no boosters, NOTHING, just a wooden paddle, and that was all he had to rely on to win. He said that these days, players and others are finding ways to give them a upper hand and it isn't fair, but back in the days it wasn't like that at all!

Reactions: Bishop Rasta 27
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Would be a pity to Jun not play. I think a better idea would be to join the movement to lobby the ITTF to remove this flawed rule. Everyone agreed that speed glue was bad, dangerous and needed to be banned. Booster was banned because the ITTF said so. Athletes Commission has a proposal going to address this - will see what happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
When will you stop posting months old material ? It's really a shame that a site with this kind of daily visits and good Facebook activity gets it's news so late. Jun Mizutani hasn't been competing internationally since the Olympics.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Would be a pity to Jun not play. I think a better idea would be to join the movement to lobby the ITTF to remove this flawed rule. Everyone agreed that speed glue was bad, dangerous and needed to be banned. Booster was banned because the ITTF said so. Athletes Commission has a proposal going to address this - will see what happens.

A movement is a much better idea, definitely agree with you! However, I reckon that with him not participating for a brief period of time, it might give this thing much more of an emphasis, and you never know it might get a movement to rise much quicker than what it would be without Jun's actions. Hopefully someone will make some sort of petition :)

By the way, do you use boosters?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews

Straight from the mouth of the Athletes Commission, cheers William keep us posted :)

Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
When will you stop posting months old material ? It's really a shame that a site with this kind of daily visits and good Facebook activity gets it's news so late. Jun Mizutani hasn't been competing internationally since the Olympics.

Did you know the reason behind why he hasn't been competing? The report is dated Dec 2012, and I would assume it was made public some time after that, hence this is NEW news.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Well, Mizutani says everybody has been boosting, doing this protest alone will have zero effect. He might join the boosting club or find another top players to go along with him, but thats not going to happen. 90% of them boost their rubbers.

This user has no status.
I haven't really used boosters or tuners yet, nor will I ever use one. I just think that normal playing is good even without these stuff. I know, I know, games get exciting because of these guys, but does Timo Boll and other non-booster players do not boost and tune or even use speed glue but they can still play professionally? It is true, that even if I say this, people will say that I have not really used tuners and boosters compared to playing with none of them. But I think the joy of playing comes in the natural state of professionalism, not edgy professional play. It's a shame that Jun does a sacrifice for the ITTF but that entails him to lose various tournaments. I wanna see them in action again, but I hope the ITTF CAN do something about this problem.