says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
TableTennisDaily exclusive interview with Table Tennis professional Bojan Tokic!

Thanks for taking part in our TableTennisDaily interview Bojan.

Enjoy the questions!

Full Name: Bojan Tokić
Date Of Birth: 13/1/1981
Height: 178cm
Club represented: FC Saarbrucken
Highest World Ranking: 25 (November 2011)

bojan2tokic20131interview.jpg
Bojan Tokic vs Ma Long in their epic encounter at the World Championships 2011. Photo by: postanivojak.si​

Equipment– Peter wants to know what do you use?

Blade: Vladimir Samconov stratus
FH Rubber: Tibhar Evolution mx-p
BH Rubber: Tibhar Evolution mx-p

Your career

How long have you been playing table tennis for, when did you start?

I started playing table tennis when I was 5 or 6. A long time ago now :)

Who has been the biggest influence on your career?

My father. He is my coach.

You’re a very successful international star now, what do you feel was your biggest achievement to date?

i reached the Semifinal's of the Men's Singles European championships 2011. This is my biggest achievement to date.

Ok, maybe you don't like looking back to this but what was your biggest low in your career?

When I didn't play in the Athens Olympic Games. This was a horrible feeling.

Lesliefrancs - HI, Is pursuing a life towards TT worth the rewards? and does playing TT full time effect your personal life?

Sure it has an effect. Moving all the time is not fun. I also don't like not spending time in my country Slovenia. This effects me a lot. But this is what happens when you play full time table tennis. You are always on the move, and this is what it takes to become a professional table tennis player.

YosuaYosan asks, What are your targets for 2013?

My ultimate goal of 2013 is to give my best performance at the World Championships in Paris.

Equipment

TerIphik - Hi, I would like to know if the material (rubbers and blades) of professional players is the same to the same material as we (nonprofessional) buy in table tennis shops?

Good question. If Im honest I really don’t know. I guess that professional players and all other players under contracts from manufacturers get little better rubbers. But I cannot confirm that

Do you use booster to enhance your rubber?

A little.

Sebas-aguirre asks, What do you think of players boosting/tuning their rubbers?

Almost all players do. What should I think? If it is under the limit then everything is regular.

jedimasterplk asks: Why do pro's like tenergy so much - what differentiates it from other rubbers

I really don’t know why. I play Tibhar evolution mx-p and I like also. But yes many players use Tenergy.

YosuaYosan asks, Have you tested the new poly ball that's meant to come in place for 2014? If so, what do you think of them?

Im not sure that this ball will come 2014. They need to make more tests. Yes I tried. Its faster and has less rotation as celluloid ball. Also sound is strange.

World Championships 2013

Are you looking forward to the 2013 World Championships?

Yes I sure am. I have started practicing in 2013 very motivated. I am working very hard and will participate in a few World Tours to be well prepared for Paris.

bojan2tokic2013interview.JPG

Photo by: Roscher

Michal_Z asks: What are your expectations in Paris this year?

To repeat my performance I did against Ma Long in Rotterdam. I want to reach those performances in Paris.

Dan from TableTennisDaily will attend the World Championships this year in Paris Bojan, will you have a photo with me? Perhaps we could have a quick practice on a table :)

Im not sure you could come in practice hall. You need accreditation. But if we meat in front of the hall sure we do photo.

What are your thoughts about the 2016 Olympics?

That I have to be there no matter what :)

China’s dominance

GECA asks: What's your view on the Chinese dominance at the moment, Why are the Chinese players so good do you believe?

They work the best from a young age. China have the best quality and quanity of practice. They also know much more about the game of table tennis than any other nation.

T!Christian asks: What did you feel in your match against Ma Long that so many people around the world were excited about?

Jan Ove Waldner spoke to me and told me that the match between me and Ma Long was the best game of the World Championships in Rotterdam. Probably because of this they are exited. Was my best table tennis match ever to.

Judah000 asks: What tactics did you use against ma long? When you played against him where was the area you are always penetrating him.

Its very difficult to write down about tactics. There are many small things such as touching, and who spins first. But if I watch the game now I see that I made many mistakes from a tactical point of view.

ttmonster asks: We have seen you go head to head in rallies against Ma Long and other Chinese players and hold your own game. It really shows that you stick to the classical European technique ( with Tenergy ) and manage to hold your own against the Chinese players with Chinese rubbers ( mostly Hurricane ) .

How much difference does it make or how do you feel what is the advantage / disadvantage of your approach ( faster rubber and smaller technique ) vis-a-vis the Chinese approach ?

All players use what they mostly like or feel, it is ones preference. Europeans players simply do not have the technique for the Chinese rubbers such as hurricane.

You can watch Bojan Tokic vs Ma Long in the video below :)

European Table Tennis

PingPongPom asks, I would like to know a little more about his European Champs bronze medal, was it something you expected or did you strongly feel you had a chance to obtain it, was the result a bit of a surprise to you Bojan?. Can we expect more of this from you in the future?

This for me is not a big surprise. I played in the quarter final in 2007, I played last 16 in years 2003, 200 and 2012. I have been inside the top 40 world rankings since 2004. I knew that I could reach the semi final before I even started. It was only a question of time. I hope my best will come in Rio 2016.

T!Christian asks, How do you find the Bundesliga?

It is an amazing league! So strong, and many variations of players. The atmosphere is amazing to!

Check out Bojan Tokic vs Kalinikos Kreanga in the Champions League representing his club Saarbrücken.

Who are your favourite up and coming players? Which European players do you think will make the top 20 in the world?

There are many young good players out there. There are no rules who will make the top 20. When I was young teenager nobody believed that I will be 25 in world ranking. It is very hard to answer that question sorry.

Over at TableTennisDaily we are fond of the Elite Chinese and Timo Boll (The players in the top 10 of the world). When you play against these player’s what is it they do that’s different to other players. How are they the best?

The only difference is they always bring one more ball back on the table than me. Only this is difference. hehehe

How do you think European Table Tennis can catch up to the Chinese/Asian table tennis?

They can not.

Training

minh0722 asks: how much do you train your backhand? Do you train your backhand more than your forehand?

No. I practice the same amount. They are both important shots in table tennis.

Bollforte94 asks: How do you train your footwork? You are extremely fast on your feet! What do you do off the table? Jog, jump, sprint?

I do a lot of footwork exercises on the table. we also have physical practice to.

What do you practice the most? What aspect is most important in the game table tennis?

Footwork

Do you serve practice often?

When I feel that I need to I will. But usually we practice serves a lot in the game of the practice of the practice sessions.

bojan2tokic20132interview.jpg

Photo by: Ursula Klajic

Leankints asks: Do you train on the mental aspects of the game. Do you find this side of the game is just as important as the technical parts?

It is very important. I have a sports psychologist coach. We discuss about all problems, n the game and out of the game.

Legislate – If you don’t have much coaching, do you motivate yourself. Can you still be a good player without a coach?

No. As a professional player a coach is vital to my performance.

Matches

Joelstar asks: What warm ups do you do before a game to get you ready to compete?

15 minutes out of the table stretching and running to warm the body. 45 minutes on the table practice.

Gauravvrak – Wants your mind strategy when you are 2-0 down. What do you think to have the belief to get back into the match?

First I think to just get 1 set back. If I do then I fight for the second one. Sometimes I have turned results where the opponent was 3-0 up against me.

Atomichaos – Do you ever give up a match when your loosing?

Yes. Sometimes you simply don't see a way of coming back.

Do you watch yourself on youtube?

Only my best matches yes

Do you watch your opponents on youtube to find out how they play and tactics you can use?

Yes, sometimes I do. It's a good way to see opponents.

Off the topic questions

Who’s your favorite sportsman of all time?

Michael Jordan

Favorite film?

Italian movie true story Called La Vita e Bella

What car do you drive?

Kia

What’s your favorite music?

Serbian-Croatian music

What do you do in your spare time other then table tennis?

Mountains. Nordic Walking. My favorite hobby

Do you eat well or eat junk good?

I eat all that I like. Mostly sweats :)

PS3 or XBOX 360?

PS2

Have you browsed the website TableTennisDaily.co.uk before? :)

No. I spend too much time spending time in table tennis so I never browse table tennis websites.

Your team mates

Who’s the funniest player in the training hall?

Filip Szymanski

What is your motto in training?

Work hard and everything will come.

Who trains the hardest in the training hall?

Patrick Baum

Who has the best nickname?

Batian Steger-Bronco

And Lastly

And lastly, thanks very much for your kindness in taking part in this interview for all the members of the TableTennisDaily forum to learn and know more about the life of a professional player.

Would you like to add one last tip, or an inspirational message to us all?

Yes, please never send me any interview questions again. This has taking me all my afternoon, hehehehe Only joking thanks everyone for all your questions. Take care and have a fantastic 2013 year! Bojan.

Good luck in your next competition

Thanks!

TableTennisDaily Staff and forum

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Amazing response to so many questions! Thanks all.
I have to agree with Bojan, it doesn't appear possible for Europe to catch up to Asia in the near future. However, by being blunt like that he may stir some action to prove him wrong, I dare to hope. ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
He thinks he is quite right to say that not reach the Asian level, in a short time but the top 10 ranked players will be Chinese, many are already in the top 100 of the younger ones, for example fang bo Has to be between the top 15 and so we can continue the miracle needs to happen Waldner Persson and again to take some thinking about the Chinese title.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
What a character!
It took him whole afternoon, but he found that time for his fans!
How about that, Dima? .. :D
About that chinese dominance, Petr Korbel recently in some TV show said, there are 250 millions of registered chinese pingpong players, I think thats more than all other countries together, lol .. :D
How could they NOT to dominate ???
Anyways, his answers made my day, thank you!

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
What a character!
It took him whole afternoon, but he found that time for his fans!
How about that, Dima? .. :D
About that chinese dominance, Petr Korbel recently in some TV show said, there are 250 millions of registered chinese pingpong players, I think thats more than all other countries together, lol .. :D
How could they NOT to dominate ???
Anyways, his answers made my day, thank you!

Yea, that's right. At the moment no country can compete against China, but let's hope that there comes another "Sweden" (Waldner, Persson, Appelgren...) soon and makes it a competition for China. I think it would increase the interest of the sport in China also.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
Looking at his matches and this interview, he always seems to be a really positive and friendly guy. Love his technique and game as well - Agressive yet controlled on both wings.
But maybe we should lower the amount of questions in the interview. Answering them really takes a long time.

This is by the way an amazing match as well, the match that earned him bronze at the ETTC:

Last edited:
Administrator
Oct 2010
Looking at his matches and this interview, he always seems to be a really positive and friendly guy. Love his technique and game as well - Agressive yet controlled on both wings.
But maybe we should lower the amount of questions in the interview. Answering them really takes a long time.

This is by the way an amazing match as well, the match that earned him bronze at the ETTC:

Thanks for the feedback Steven :) Totally agree, next time we are going to look more quality rather than quantity :)

That bronze match is amazing! I love watching Bojan's style, incredible character and a very nice man for conducting this interview with us.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
If in any way Sir Tokic is viewing this, THANK YOU SO MUCH!
For the time, for the effort, thank you for the delighting answers :)

Thanks and congrats too to TTDaily to for the success conducting such interview!
2013 has been a major kickstart for TTD this way ;)

Thanks Yosua! Glad you liked it. I sent this thread to Bojan so I am sure he will read your wonderful comment :) TTD has something major in the pipeline. Cannot wait until it is released :) Hope your all good buddy.