Zhang jike's lack of motivation?

This user has no status.
We all can agree that Zhang jike's performance in the Chinese super league, trials and lastly in the Austrian open has not been the greatest.

zhangmotivation.jpg

Zhang Jike with coach Liu Guoliang at the Austrian Open 2013 - Photo by: zimbio.com

Do you think this is because he already won every big title and he doesn't really care for anything else? or maybe he's been suffering some injury we still don't know.

Zhang Jike's match in the Austrian Open

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
I think that he is just unmotivated. He is just 24 years old and already won everything in this sport. It seems that he would want to do something than play atm. But I'm sure that his attitude this week in Austria is something that the chinese coaches will talk with him very strictly about. There is a lot of other chinese players that would play those tournaments with a good attitude and perform better than ZJK did now... The chinese coaches won't accept that kind of attitude for a long time..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Its natural. The pressure to chinese players is immense. Imagine how would you feel if you clinched all the world titles in one year?Something no one has ever achieved before?

Combine this situation together with the fact that ZJK has a somehow "arrogant" character and there you go, u have a champion that feels he has nothing to prove anymore.Reaching the top is extremely difficult...staying there is true hell !

says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
says Hello FbERN! I think it is a good choice :)
Dec 2012
Its natural. The pressure to chinese players is immense. Imagine how would you feel if you clinched all the world titles in one year?Something no one has ever achieved before?

Combine this situation together with the fact that ZJK has a somehow "arrogant" character and there you go, u have a champion that feels he has nothing to prove anymore.Reaching the top is extremely difficult...staying there is true hell !

actually there have been 3 more who did a grand slam ;)

ZJK

This user has no status.

ZJK

This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Yes but noone won grand slam in 1 year, of course this can't be an excuse for Jike.
I think that he is either overplayed (super league, WTTC Trials, many tournaments last year) or he currently has no motivation for ,,unimportant'' tournaments like the austrian open. I believe (and hope) he will be back in good shape in Paris.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
he might lose all his motivation at the current moment due to that he suddenly won all three grand slam in a single year period. I watched one of his interview with CCTV5 before, right after he won the WTTC, he did mention that he was very excited about being the champion. But after a week, he is getting tired about being a WTTC Champion, and he want to be Olympic Champion. So, this might affect his motivation.

And don't forget that he did injure his waist or back around 2-4 weeks ago, this might also slow down his mind alittle abit whenever he try to turn his body, to worry about re-injure the same spot.

This user has no status.
table tennis shouldn't name the ultimate achievement as a "Grand Slam" because it has been devalued by tennis. In tennis you have 4 tournaments a year = 16 opportunities in 4 years, and just winning one will make you a "Grand Slam" winner. In table tennis, you need to win Olympics (1 tournament every 4 years), WTTC (1 tournament every 2 years) and WC (1 tournament per year), in order to be a "Grand Slam".

IMO it is much harder to be a table tennis "grand slam" champion than a tennis "grand slam" champion, so we shouldn't be associating this immense achievement with "grand slam".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
We all can agree that Zhang jike's performance in the chinese super league, trials and lastly in the austrian open has not been the greatest.
Do you think this is because he already won every big title and he doesn't really care for anything else? or maybe he's been suffering some injury we still don't know.

Well, hopefully he's not demotivated because he won every big title! I don't think he should just relax now, just because he's got a grand slam! I just hope he raise his game up if he does go to the WTTC in Paris!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
No matter what he is at the moment, he still hasn't been able to beat Ma Long or Xu Xin consistently as he did against other Chinese teammates. And in fact, the number of times which Ma Long defeat both in big three is even much higher than ZJK or Xu Xin could win over Ma Long. Judging on Ma Long's performance before and after Zhang Jike won Olympic and became Grand Slam player, I personally always think Ma Long is all way better, and Xu Xin - the strikingly raising star, will definitely be the rival opponent of Ma Long from now (or soon in future), not ZJK anymore. Sorry ZJK's fans..

Reactions: revulucao

ZJK

This user has no status.

ZJK

This user has no status.
Jan 2013
No matter what he is at the moment, he still hasn't been able to beat Ma Long or Xu Xin consistently as he did against other Chinese teammates. And in fact, the number of times which Ma Long defeat both in big three is even much higher than ZJK or Xu Xin could win over Ma Long. Judging on Ma Long's performance before and after Zhang Jike won Olympic and became Grand Slam player, I personally always think Ma Long is all way better, and Xu Xin - the strikingly raising star, will definitely be the rival opponent of Ma Long from now (or soon in future), not ZJK anymore. Sorry ZJK's fans..

Noone in the world will ever be able to beat Ma Long & Xu Xin consistently.
I agree with you about Ma Longs performance after and before the big tournaments but for chinese (and also vor everyone else if you wanna get into TT history) only the 3 big events count.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Noone in the world will ever be able to beat Ma Long & Xu Xin consistently.
I agree with you about Ma Longs performance after and before the big tournaments but for chinese (and also vor everyone else if you wanna get into TT history) only the 3 big events count.

Some Facts

World cups : ZJK reached finals two times, won it at his second attempt. Ma long failed two times in the semi finals, facing inferior opponents (samsonov & boll) and lost. He clinched the world cup without ZJK attending @ 2012

World championships : Ma long failed twice facing wang hao, a player who is consistent yes,but for ma long fans "no match for him". ZJK beat wang hao in his first attempt.

I dont take olympics into consideration because ma long was out due to his injury that caused him to fall in the ranking list.

What I am trying to say here is that, what makes a player great doesnt have to do with how staggering table tennis he can play, but if he can cope with situations under immense pressure. And ZJK proved he can do that.If they meet in the final @ wttc 2013 and even if ma long wins, it wont be an "easy win" as many ma long fans claim

Besides, ma long had more opportunities than ZJK to prove himself and he failed. Im not making a comparison about who is better here, dont get me wrong please :D

In the end if ma long manages to cope with pressure, then he will be greater than ZJK eventually.
But that is only a theoretical assumption, he must prove it on the court.

Last edited: