Chinese National Team Member's Incomes

says Youtube channel...
says Youtube channel...
Dec 2012
Read 7 reviews
Hey
I've been wondering and thinking about the Chinese national team member's incomes. Yesterday Dan posted an article "Ma Long earns more than a quarter of a million dollars in the Chinese Super League" (click here to read it). My reaction to the article was that I would have thought they, especially Ma Long, earns more than 250K a year in the CTTSL. That's of course also a lot of money compared to the price money in World Tours, but compared to other sports that's not so much. What do you think about this?

Also, what more do you guys know about the Chinese national team member's incomes? Can the chinese players keep all the money they win in tournaments or does some of it go to the Chinese TT federation? How much are their sponsor incomes? Does the Chinese players/federation get some benefits (money) for entering a competition (like in tennis, where the best players get HUGE amount of money just for coming to play the tournament)?

I'm sure many other TTD members are also interested in this subject, so if you know anything about this make sure to tell us :)

malongmillondollar.jpg

Ma Long securing the win against Xu Xin in the Chinese Super League Finals

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Great discussion. This is a very interesting topic and can't wait to hear members posts. I use to be coached by Sun Jin who won a silver medal in the Sydney Olympics Doubles. She told me that her winnings went to the Chinese association. The players however are treated like royalty for the rest of their lifes with their homes, expenses and lots more paid for.

Nowadays I dunno if this is still the same, when a player like Xu Hui plays in the Swedish league will get receive the money? Looking forward to your replies guys. I remember seeing Zhang Jike in a super car 'Maserati'. I think he owns it if I remember so he must have a lot of money in his account :D

Reactions: Pongfinity
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
Yeah I felt the same, when I read the article. I think a player like Timo Boll earns about 200.000 in a year. He wrote in his book, that he is rich ... but the chinese player are "superrich" ...
So well ... the Super League is just for 3 months. So 250.000 is a lot of money. Then you have to know, that the players have to pay for nothing. Maybe food or something .. or a car like Zhang Jike. But everything else is sponsored. Clothes and stuff...
Then they get the money from tournements. Sponsoring. Comercials. And and and ... So all in all every famous player will have his 1mio or 2mio in a year ;)

says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
Yea, CNT player's had high incomes in China, much better than other national teams like badminton, volleyball etc.. I have read some reports before which said the top CNT players could got about 3,500,000 RMB (after-tax incomes is about 2,000,000 RMB) incomes in CTTSL, and CTTSL only for 3 months, so it really is high incomes ! Also don't forot the tournements prize and their advertising revenues, so top CNT player's total incomes is nearly 3,000,000-4,000,000 RMB per year. If in the Olympics year, sure their incomes could be increased a lot.

BTW, 1 USD =6.23 RMB :)

Aug 2012
Many CNT players (coach) have nice cars, Zhang Jike--Maserati, Ma Lin--BMW X5, Wang Liqin--BMW X5, Liu Guoliang--Audi Q7 (2006), Kong Linghui--Porsche..these are old info, may be they alreadly changed a new car now :)

Last edited:
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
I remember seeing an article about Guo Yue I think it was and she had earned a big sum of money and was only keep a small portion of it herself with lots going to chinese table tennis association and some going back to her club. The portion she took herself was still big enough though! :p

Aug 2012
I remember seeing an article about Guo Yue I think it was and she had earned a big sum of money and was only keep a small portion of it herself with lots going to chinese table tennis association and some going back to her club. The portion she took herself was still big enough though! :p

Ohh..does those money are transfer fees ?

Aug 2012
Some CNT players:

2007 (RMB): Zhang Yining: 8.1 million, Wang Nan: 6.5 million, Wang Liqin: 2.8 million, Ma Lin: 2.5 million, Liu Guoliang: 2 million--:eek:

2008 (RMB): Zhang Yining: 11 million, Wang Nan: > 8 million, Ma Lin: 8.8 million, Wang Liqin: 7.5 million, Wang Hao: 6 million

2012 (RMB): Zhang Jike: 13 million

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I wouldn't suprise, but the majorities are not coming from tournament thought. Those they getting from sponsor/advertisement/speakman are the major income for them. Actually it won't be suprise that 50-70% of tournament winning money stil need go back to CTTA, which similar as many countries. It just like how Tiger Wood get his money from, which PGA tour is not his major income.

However, anything range below 5-8mil RMB per year for them still considered low at some point. Their badminton idol Lin Dan probably over 10mil or close to 100mil RMB a year, which allows him to skip some of the tournament by just paying the agreement fine to the chinese badminton association. I was recalling one of the badminton player did say about this, that he is not as rich as Lin Dan, so he could not affort to pay close to 1mil fine for not participate in the tournament >.>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
Many CNT players (coach) have nice cars, Zhang Jike--Maserati, Ma Lin--BMW X5, Wang Liqin--BMW X5, Liu Guoliang--Audi Q7 (2006), Kong Linghui--Porsche..these are old info, may be they alreadly changed a new car now :)

I've heard that the Maserati actually is not ZJK's car. Someone gave him the car for temporary use.

Last edited:
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
A car is not an indicator of wealth (although it may be in China)...in terms of cars, I know Malin drives a Porsche Cayenne, and I think ALL the CNT get a complimentary X6 from BMW.