Liu Guoliang - how to grip the bat like a Pro

says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
Liu Guoliang introduced the different griping of some Pro players, including Ma Lin, Wang Hao, Ryu Seung Min (penhold), Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Timo Boll. From this video we could see some pro players' grip and fingers formation clearly, and Guoliang give us a good introduction that to grip the bat based on your playing style..:)

liudemonstrates.jpg

Video Link: http://static.video.qq.com/TPout.swf?auto=1&vid=7OwWW4dbNf9

Aug 2012
Haha great find Tommy! Good to see the players have a little laugh about this :) Isit me or does Ryu Seung Min's forehand rubber only say 'Tenergy' on it? I don't see Tenergy '05' on the rubber. I print screened below:

View attachment 3408

You are so carefully ! Yea, I can't see '05' on his rubber ..:)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haha great find Tommy! Good to see the players have a little laugh about this :) Isit me or does Ryu Seung Min's forehand rubber only say 'Tenergy' on it? I don't see Tenergy '05' on the rubber. I print screened below:

View attachment 3408

You should take a look at a sheet of Tenergy. The number, whether 05, 64 or 25 would be below the -gy of Tenergy, right where his thumb is. In fact, if you look closely, it looks like you might be able to see a tiny part of the number below his thumb. The number would be on that design that is raised and looks darker in the photo than the rest of the topsheet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Can someone give a general summary of what Liu Guoliang is saying or better still, a detailed breakdown on the shakehands grip.
Its just that I'm having difficulty transitioning between my backhand and forehand and although my footwork is most likely to blame I feel my grip plays a part too.
Much appreciated, thanks :)

LGL did not talk much about Timo. Just said it is the first time for people to see his grip up close. ZJK and ML have different position for thumb and index finger. ZJK.s grip is favoring backhand while ML's grip is forehand/counter loop oriented.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
He said that Wang Hao always has 2 or 2 and a half fingers on the bat at all time, so he can have a very good RPB. While Ryu Seung Min's forehand grip is "deeper" (his thumb is very forward), his traditional backhand grip is different. His fingertips arent touching the rubber, the sides of the finger are. And Ma Lin is somewhat in between. So Liu Guoliang says if you want a good backhand like Wang Hao use his grip, if you want a good backhand use Wang Hao's grip. If you want good forhand use Ryu Seung Min's grip. If you want good third ball, serve, and server return, use Ma lin's grip. As for the shakehanders someone above already translated about what Liu Guoliang said. Also, at the beginning, Liu Guoliang said that it doesn't matter what grip you use, it all comes down to preference and style of play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
So I guess not ALL Chinese use DHS products. Sweet! I just wonder if Timo's racket the guy is holding is counterfeit...

View attachment 3409

Of course not all Chinese use DHS products and not all Chinese get counterfeits.
Stop thinking Sterotypically.
BTW, North Koreans can't even access the outer web (especially going on Table Tennis Daily), they have their own internet where they only can access North Korean pages.