At OOAK table tennis forum (consisting of a lot of defensive players and big Joo Se Hyuk fans) a similar initiative has started up earlier: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20702. A collection of best wishes from many of the OOAK members was sent to Joo when he was very ill last year and we received a beautiful reply from him: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20449. Our interview questions have been sent 3 weeks ago and an answer from Joo Se Hyuk is expected soon.

Some questions that are collected here are very similar, others are very different and also very interesting. Maybe it would be a good idea to select especially those questions that have not already been asked by OOAK? This way the same questions don't have to be asked twice (which can be annoying or confusing for Joo Se Hyuk) and other in-depth information can be acquired. But, of course, feel free...

Best wishes and good luck!

Dancer in the dark

Last edited:
Reactions: YosuaYosan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
At OOAK table tennis forum (consisting of a lot of defensive players and big Joo Se Hyuk fans) a similar initiative has started up earlier: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20702. A collection of best wishes from many of the OOAK members was sent to Joo when he was very ill last year and we received a beautiful reply from him: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20449. Our interview questions have been sent 3 weeks ago and an answer from Joo Se Hyuk is expected soon.

Some questions that are collected here are very similar, others are very different and also very interesting. Maybe it would be a good idea to select especially those questions that have not already been asked by OOAK? This way the same questions don't have to be asked twice (which can be annoying or confusing for Joo Se Hyuk) and other in-depth information can be acquired. But, of course, feel free...

Best wishes and good luck!

Dancer in the dark

Sir Lorre?

We have received a beautiful response to most of our questions from Joo SaeHyuk. The interview can be read here: http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=22125

I really hope that your questions will be answered by Joo as well (to us, the process took quite some time) and I also hope both interviews will be more or less complementary!

Reactions: Steven
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
LONG POST.
In order not to waste questions, this is an interview from another forum (which shall not be named)

The Interview

Past experiences

*How did you get in contact with the defensive style? Have other players and coaches ever told you not to use long pips because you'll never get to be a top player using them or were you encouraged to continue using them?

I first learned the defensive style from my coach when I was in 4th grade. When I first started playing table tennis, I used the penholder grip for about one year. I was told to stay away from long pips because it's difficult to play with and it's unlikely that I would be successful using it. At that time I overcame the challenge (of using long pips) by intensively practicing offensive style.

*You have an interesting style in that you chop on your backhand and switch between slow return and offensive play on your forehand. What inspired that style for you?

My style was inspired by both Ding Song of China and Matsushita Koji of Japan, and it's a mix of the style of the two players. When I was younger, I was very much impressed by them.

*Is it true that a lot of players in South Korea didn’t really like your style before you reached the top? How did this affect you as a person and as a player?

I'm not sure. Of course there are players who don't like my style and there are some styles that I'm not fond of. I think that I attained my present level (as a player) by diligently participating in many competitions within Korea.

*Of what past match do you have the best memories and why?

To me, the 2003 World Championships in Paris is most memorable because I received recognition through the competition and it served as a juncture in raising my play to the next level.

Equipment & strategy

*Why did you change to DTecs a couple of years ago and why did you change back to P1-R recently? Did (do) you change between those rubbers on a regular basis? If so, why did (do) you do that?

There are pros and cons for both DTecs and P1-R, and they vary depending on the table tennis table being played on. That's why I switch back and forth.

*About your decision process regarding balls to your forehand side when you are off the table, how do you decide between chopping and counter looping?

I decide based on my previous shot, and my opponent's position and posture.

*Do you think a game with OX long pimples for a close to the table style blocking game has a future?

I'm not sure because I've never tried the blocking game.

The professional world scene

*At an amateur level, there are some negative stereotypes towards defenders. How are defensive players perceived by inverted players at the top level? Do you have close relationships with the other defenders?

I also think that it's more challenging to win with the defensive style because offensive players can set the tone of the game, and can decide the course of attack. But I think that these advantages (of the offensive style) can be overcome (by defensive style) to some degree. Yes, I have very good relationships with other defensive players.

*How would you describe yourself as a person when competing in table tennis and when you are doing other activities? How are these personalities different?

I'm basically the same person both during competition and while doing other activities. I enjoy socializing with my fellow players.

*Why do you think there has been a decline of professional (Korean) players using the penholder grip over the years?

I think that it's because of the changes in the rules. The decrease in spin and speed requires players to move more. In addition, the (penholder) backhand is a drawback.

*Who are your most fearsome opponents in the top 20? Who do you fear most and why?

Wang Hao and Samsonov are the most difficult players for me. Wang Hao seems to have only the pros of the shakehand and penholder grips. His shots are strong and fast, and his backhand is flawless. Samsonov is good at defense and has the stamina that I cannot match.

*Why are the Chinese so dominant and what do you think can be done to break their current hegemony?

Of course from time to time it's possible to break their hegemony. But China perfected their management skills for both international competitions and their own professional league. They've been perfecting their system by learning from their mistakes. Also, their players are well paid and this also serves as further motivation. (To overcome China), I think that other countries need to improve.

Future of defensive table tennis

*Based on your experience, due to the changes in the equipment rules, how would you advise a youngster now starting the game who wants to be a defender? Would you suggest that they play with long pips, or should they turn to double inverted and attacking play? Would your answer be different depending on what standard of play they were aiming to achieve?

It's very challenging to be a defensive player. In order to win, you need to practice both offense and defense. It's really difficult to win with defense alone, so it's necessary to play offense - not just offense, but at the same level that the offensive players perform. Moreover, my guess is that long pips will be less beneficial when the ball changes to plastic in 2014. I've used it, and found that much less spin is produced.

*What impact did ITTF decisions (like the 38mm ball) have on top level table tennis, and what influence do you think the new PVC balls will have (in particular for defenders and defensive style)?

The decision can benefit some players while hindering others. The players are somewhat weary because they have to make adjustments (in response to the frequent changes in the rules). Also, the PVC ball doesn't spin very well. Again, it's likely that the new ball will be a hinderance for long pip users.

*Do you believe a (modern) defender can become number one in the world? If not, how should modern defense evolve to produce a number one in the world?

Of course it's possible, but I think that it'll be very challenging (for a defensive player to become the top player) because the opponent can control the game by starting the attack and by deciding its course.

Future of Joo Saehyuk

*We hope to see you for many more matches, but when do you plan on retiring as a player?

My plan is to retire in 2015. I wish I can play longer, but decided to retire because I'm disappointed with myself for not being able to play as dynamic and stylish as when I was younger.

*Do you know there are a lot of players admiring and even imitating your style? Are you planning on coaching your modern style of defense? Do you plan to do something for the defenders in table tennis (e.g. Koji Matsushita became president of Victas and created the P4)?

I don't have any plans, but if I have the opportunity, I would like to coach.

*At our forum, a video was posted a while ago showing your son hitting his first table tennis balls. How is he progressing? 

He is doing well. Thank you for asking. I had him play for a couple of months last year, but he stopped playing because he is not very good at it.

Some additional questions

*Many people, of all ages, say that your style of playing table tennis is very inspiring. Have you seen anyone 55 years or older playing your style of table tennis, albeit at a much lower level.

Yes, I've seen (them playing) in Korea. They're so enthusiastic and enjoy themselves.

*Does being one of the top players in the world make it difficult to appreciate the simple joy of playing table tennis? The way that you play table tennis is incredibly beautiful to watch. What does it feel like to play table tennis like you?

Yes, (being a professional) makes it difficult to enjoy - rather, winning or losing becomes the priority. I just try my best to win and maybe that's why my play is pleasing to watch.

* What do you do when you aren't playing table tennis?

When I'm home, I spend a lot of time playing with my children. Also I enjoy watching sports.

* Who's your favourite sportsperson of all time?

Alex Ferguson. I hope that I can be a leader like him.

* Would you like to add one last tip or an inspirational message for other table tennis players looking to succeed?

To me, the hidden potential for the human being is unfathomable. I've encountered so many obstacles, but perseverance brings out the dormant ability from inside of you. That doesn't mean that one needs to work hard all the time, but not to give up and persevere.

*Thank you very much and all the best for your career and your personal life!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
LONG POST.
In order not to waste questions, this is an interview from another forum (which shall not be named)

The Interview

Past experiences

*How did you get in contact with the defensive style? Have other players and coaches ever told you not to use long pips because you'll never get to be a top player using them or were you encouraged to continue using them?

I first learned the defensive style from my coach when I was in 4th grade. When I first started playing table tennis, I used the penholder grip for about one year. I was told to stay away from long pips because it's difficult to play with and it's unlikely that I would be successful using it. At that time I overcame the challenge (of using long pips) by intensively practicing offensive style.

*You have an interesting style in that you chop on your backhand and switch between slow return and offensive play on your forehand. What inspired that style for you?

My style was inspired by both Ding Song of China and Matsushita Koji of Japan, and it's a mix of the style of the two players. When I was younger, I was very much impressed by them.

*Is it true that a lot of players in South Korea didn’t really like your style before you reached the top? How did this affect you as a person and as a player?

I'm not sure. Of course there are players who don't like my style and there are some styles that I'm not fond of. I think that I attained my present level (as a player) by diligently participating in many competitions within Korea.

*Of what past match do you have the best memories and why?

To me, the 2003 World Championships in Paris is most memorable because I received recognition through the competition and it served as a juncture in raising my play to the next level.

Equipment & strategy

*Why did you change to DTecs a couple of years ago and why did you change back to P1-R recently? Did (do) you change between those rubbers on a regular basis? If so, why did (do) you do that?

There are pros and cons for both DTecs and P1-R, and they vary depending on the table tennis table being played on. That's why I switch back and forth.

*About your decision process regarding balls to your forehand side when you are off the table, how do you decide between chopping and counter looping?

I decide based on my previous shot, and my opponent's position and posture.

*Do you think a game with OX long pimples for a close to the table style blocking game has a future?

I'm not sure because I've never tried the blocking game.

The professional world scene

*At an amateur level, there are some negative stereotypes towards defenders. How are defensive players perceived by inverted players at the top level? Do you have close relationships with the other defenders?

I also think that it's more challenging to win with the defensive style because offensive players can set the tone of the game, and can decide the course of attack. But I think that these advantages (of the offensive style) can be overcome (by defensive style) to some degree. Yes, I have very good relationships with other defensive players.

*How would you describe yourself as a person when competing in table tennis and when you are doing other activities? How are these personalities different?

I'm basically the same person both during competition and while doing other activities. I enjoy socializing with my fellow players.

*Why do you think there has been a decline of professional (Korean) players using the penholder grip over the years?

I think that it's because of the changes in the rules. The decrease in spin and speed requires players to move more. In addition, the (penholder) backhand is a drawback.

*Who are your most fearsome opponents in the top 20? Who do you fear most and why?

Wang Hao and Samsonov are the most difficult players for me. Wang Hao seems to have only the pros of the shakehand and penholder grips. His shots are strong and fast, and his backhand is flawless. Samsonov is good at defense and has the stamina that I cannot match.

*Why are the Chinese so dominant and what do you think can be done to break their current hegemony?

Of course from time to time it's possible to break their hegemony. But China perfected their management skills for both international competitions and their own professional league. They've been perfecting their system by learning from their mistakes. Also, their players are well paid and this also serves as further motivation. (To overcome China), I think that other countries need to improve.

Future of defensive table tennis

*Based on your experience, due to the changes in the equipment rules, how would you advise a youngster now starting the game who wants to be a defender? Would you suggest that they play with long pips, or should they turn to double inverted and attacking play? Would your answer be different depending on what standard of play they were aiming to achieve?

It's very challenging to be a defensive player. In order to win, you need to practice both offense and defense. It's really difficult to win with defense alone, so it's necessary to play offense - not just offense, but at the same level that the offensive players perform. Moreover, my guess is that long pips will be less beneficial when the ball changes to plastic in 2014. I've used it, and found that much less spin is produced.

*What impact did ITTF decisions (like the 38mm ball) have on top level table tennis, and what influence do you think the new PVC balls will have (in particular for defenders and defensive style)?

The decision can benefit some players while hindering others. The players are somewhat weary because they have to make adjustments (in response to the frequent changes in the rules). Also, the PVC ball doesn't spin very well. Again, it's likely that the new ball will be a hinderance for long pip users.

*Do you believe a (modern) defender can become number one in the world? If not, how should modern defense evolve to produce a number one in the world?

Of course it's possible, but I think that it'll be very challenging (for a defensive player to become the top player) because the opponent can control the game by starting the attack and by deciding its course.

Future of Joo Saehyuk

*We hope to see you for many more matches, but when do you plan on retiring as a player?

My plan is to retire in 2015. I wish I can play longer, but decided to retire because I'm disappointed with myself for not being able to play as dynamic and stylish as when I was younger.

*Do you know there are a lot of players admiring and even imitating your style? Are you planning on coaching your modern style of defense? Do you plan to do something for the defenders in table tennis (e.g. Koji Matsushita became president of Victas and created the P4)?

I don't have any plans, but if I have the opportunity, I would like to coach.

*At our forum, a video was posted a while ago showing your son hitting his first table tennis balls. How is he progressing? 

He is doing well. Thank you for asking. I had him play for a couple of months last year, but he stopped playing because he is not very good at it.

Some additional questions

*Many people, of all ages, say that your style of playing table tennis is very inspiring. Have you seen anyone 55 years or older playing your style of table tennis, albeit at a much lower level.

Yes, I've seen (them playing) in Korea. They're so enthusiastic and enjoy themselves.

*Does being one of the top players in the world make it difficult to appreciate the simple joy of playing table tennis? The way that you play table tennis is incredibly beautiful to watch. What does it feel like to play table tennis like you?

Yes, (being a professional) makes it difficult to enjoy - rather, winning or losing becomes the priority. I just try my best to win and maybe that's why my play is pleasing to watch.

* What do you do when you aren't playing table tennis?

When I'm home, I spend a lot of time playing with my children. Also I enjoy watching sports.

* Who's your favourite sportsperson of all time?

Alex Ferguson. I hope that I can be a leader like him.

* Would you like to add one last tip or an inspirational message for other table tennis players looking to succeed?

To me, the hidden potential for the human being is unfathomable. I've encountered so many obstacles, but perseverance brings out the dormant ability from inside of you. That doesn't mean that one needs to work hard all the time, but not to give up and persevere.

*Thank you very much and all the best for your career and your personal life!

there is a link to this interview above so naming the forum is fine :p lol :)