Tom

This user has no status.

Tom

This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 7 reviews
I don't think its unfair, I actually think the OOAK members have been quite disrespectful with their comments. Dan has been polite and taken the views on board. It seems that a few people wish to cause problems on this website because of preferences to others. When in actual fact they are not competition to each other,both websites are doing a great deal for the world of table tennis.....so lets leave out the nastiness guys :)

ttdaily is a great website and I know for a fact puts a hell of a lot off effort in.

I also know Dan has reviewed these rubbers from a personal view point and is just trying to improve the website by adding new features! :)

peace

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
As some of you probably know, I'm admin of OOAK forum. Dan and I are friends, and we've spoken about this thread and how it seems to have divided the 2 forums. I would not have posted here again in the fear of making things worse, but Dan asked me to post something to try and restore the peace, so I'm happy to try.

We would both like nothing better than to put any differences between OOAK and TTdaily members behind us. The two forums have different styles, which will appeal to different members. But we all share the love of our game, and our passion to promote and grow our sport. It would be so much better if we can focus on what we have in common, instead of quibbling about some differences.

A few comments that were posted here that some felt were harsh, while others felt it needed to be said. It's only natural for Dan's many friends here to try and defend him, and similarly for friends of the others to back those member that were critical. Because both forums are like communities where they have many friends, it's not surprising they were labelled as OOAK or TTD members, whereas in reality they are just individuals backing up their friends. I personally spoke up because I felt a friend was being judged on being an OOAK member not simply on his opinion, which I feel is unfair. As a result I seemed to have made things worse on this forum, and for that I've apologised to Dan, and I apologise to the ttdaily members if that upset you.

I can't speak for others, but I would ask that we please forgive and forget, and instead focus back on passion for the sport we share, and possibly even think about how the two forums can work together in future, sharing ideas and perhaps propose changes for the good of our sport.

Dan runs a great forum here, and I wish him and the great community here nothing but the best. We already have many members that visit both forums, and I do hope that everyone is made to feel welcome in both forums, and are seen a fellow players and TT fans, not as a rival forum member.

Thanks for reading guys... I do hope this message helps restore the peace and friendship, which is my only intention.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I do hope this message helps restore the peace and friendship, which is my only intention.

Here, here. Wonderful post haggisv. I personally think that your previous post and Lorre's post were quite good posts and I am not sure why there was any more fuss after either of them. I did not see an us vs them attitude from either post and I did not see them as trying to heighten tension. Both posts were valid perspectives. It is okay to have a discussion where people do have different perspectives. There is nothing wrong with that.

In looking at the outset of tension in the posts from this thread, to me, reading, it looks like Elvis56 presented an opinion that actually has some validity and then was sort of attacked. Then the discussion got off track. I can understand us TTDaily guys getting defensive. I love how we support each other and are behind Dan, who is a great guy and does his best to make the site fun and positive. But I think Dan handled his response to Elvis56's comments quite well without heightening the tension. But, unfortunately, the discussion got off track anyway, with members trying to defend Dan when Dan really did not need to be defended. I also see Elvis56's decision to step out of the discussion a mature response to try and dissipate the dispute.

haggisv, I respect your opinions and think we, here at ttdaily should really just get back on subject. So, thank you for the time you spent to write that thoughtful piece. And lets get back to reviewing these rubbers. :)

Looks to me, from Dan's review, that the rubber which is most versatile and does the most things well is the medium sponge.

One thing I would like to ask Dan, in comparison to other Speed Glue effect offensive rubbers out there, just in general (no need to mention brands) how would you rate the Medium Sponge [On a scale from 1-10, 1 being worse than all others 10 being better than anything else out there]:

1) How would you rate the amount of spin you were able to get on your loops?

2) How would you rate the control?

3) How would you rate the speed?

In other words 8 would be an extremely good rating and 9 would be pretty much as good a rating as you can give because it would mean that there is no rubber out there that is really any better than the Medium Sponge and it is something you really might think of switching to. 7 would be pretty decent. And 5 or 4 would mean that it is just a pretty regular rubber for a speed glue effect rubber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan
This user has no status.
Here, here. Wonderful post haggisv. I personally think that your previous post and Lorre's post were quite good posts and I am not sure why there was any more fuss after either of them. I did not see an us vs them attitude from either post and I did not see them as trying to heighten tension. Both posts were valid perspectives. It is okay to have a discussion where people do have different perspectives. There is nothing wrong with that.

In looking at the outset of tension in the posts from this thread, to me, reading, it looks like Elvis56 presented an opinion that actually has some validity and then was sort of attacked. Then the discussion got off track. I can understand us TTDaily guys getting defensive. I love how we support each other and are behind Dan, who is a great guy and does his best to make the site fun and positive. But I think Dan handled his response to Elvis56's comments quite well without heightening the tension. But, unfortunately, the discussion got off track anyway, with members trying to defend Dan when Dan really did not need to be defended. I also see Elvis56's decision to step out of the discussion a mature response to try and dissipate the dispute.

Can't agree more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Carl, I think I can ask your question on the durability lol... as my experience on stiga rubber, for those soft one, max 2-3 months before they chipped out real bad :(

As for the review, the conclusion was not bad. But I think the main missing points will be a more thorough comparison between these 3 rubbers. I can feel the difference between them from the video, however, since I'm not the one test it, the feeling just won't tell me the exact differences on each FH/BH and etc hitting for each rubber. Especially for the BH, serve and short play part, Dan, you probably want to mention what kind of rubber it is.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
A little more footage I took whilst testing the Stiga Calibra Tour rubbers with Bristol Table Tennis Academy members, Tom Maynard and Jekwon Choi.

Tom found the rubbers to be fast with good control, Jekwon reported that he really liked the soft rubber as he is a powerful player and likes to take one extra step of the table. He also said he could generate more spin with the soft rubber as there was more dwell time on the ball.

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hey dan, nice video review by the way! ;) I like how you compared them to one another and tried them out by doing a spinny loop followed by a faster loop. Immense reviewing skills in how you highlighted your fav one and which ones were used for different distances from the table...nice controlling skills by the way too emily ;)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey dan, nice video review by the way! ;) I like how you compared them to one another and tried them out by doing a spinny loop followed by a faster loop. Immense reviewing skills in how you highlighted your fav one and which ones were used for different distances from the table...nice controlling skills by the way too emily ;)

Thanks for the positive feedback Ripper, glad you liked the review :)

I play with Stiga Calibra Sound rubbers at the moment so the new Soft appeals to me. Any ideas on how much they might cost when they come out?

And on a sidenote: Dan, you've got sick serves mate, lol

You will like the soft version I am sure :) It is very nice, and you can get good spin and arc on the ball. I am not to sure at all on the costs, will be interesting, I'm sure it will be similar to Calibra Sound rubbers or LT.

Haha thanks on the serves, I practiced them for hours on end when I injured my back. I may do a service tutorial soon :)

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Whew! There are some harsh criticisms on this thread that I wasn't expecting.

Let me introduce myself. I am Mark Kinlocke and I've been playing TT on and off for the past 50yrs or so. I am an active umpire, a qualified TT coach and an enthusiastic EJ.
I also like photography and I did the camera work behind the video. Videography is new to me but I am learning.
When Dan told me that he had these rubbers to review, it was me who suggested that we do a video rather than the usual write up. I also strongly advised him as to what to say, what to wear and the filming took place at my club, the Bristol Civil Service TTC. It was me who made sure that we played on a Stiga table. I even went so far as to cover the Butterfly logo on the net stand. The idea was that this was a review of Stiga equipment and there should not be the distraction of having other brands in clear view. When we do Butterfly and other brands, we’ll do the same for them. Dan did the editing as he's brilliant at it.
So most of the criticisms should be levelled at me, not Dan.

The direction in the video was deliberate as I believe that it takes at least 3-4 months of constant usage to get to know any equipment properly. For a fairly short, non-scientific review like this, I believe that it is better to show and demonstrate the characteristics and leave viewers to make up their own mind.
Dan will be doing other reviews with equipment from the other brands. I also have a few ideas about looking at presenting some of the technique issues raised in other threads using videos to give a fresh view of stuff.
Yes please, critique all you want with the bad and good. It will all serve to us making improved videos in the future.
BTW, I did not tell Dan that I was going to write this.

Here is one suggestion for improvement made with the best of intentions. Perhaps Dan should mention one or two things that he DOESN'T like about each rubber. It's a review. By definition reviewers write their opinions. Opinions are not the Word of God, but they are useful. We can weigh them. Choosing a rubber often entails balancing different aspects. You gain a little here, you lose a little there. On another forum, you mentioned some things about the hard version of this rubber that were much more useful than anything Dan said here. I watched the video again. Pretty much the video shows Dan playing (very well) and pretty much saying these rubbers are fast and spinny and controlled. Compared to what? Saying that it takes months of constant usage to get to know a rubber is not really true. If you really believed this, you would not have written your impressions of the hard versions of this Tour Calibra at MYTT! Surely you can get an initial sense of what they are good for in about five minutes, especially guys at Dan's level and your level of EJ experience. I also think the "product placement" aspect makes it look like an ad, even if that was not the intent. Just something to think about. At the same time, I hope you will continue to do these. Also, Dan, if you want to chime in here, I would honestly love to hear more about how these rubbers felt for you. I'm not trying to add to any flame wars, just giving an impression.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Here is one suggestion for improvement made with the best of intentions. Perhaps Dan should mention one or two things that he DOESN'T like about each rubber. It's a review. By definition reviewers write their opinions. Opinions are not the Word of God, but they are useful. We can weigh them. Choosing a rubber often entails balancing different aspects. You gain a little here, you lose a little there. On another forum, you mentioned some things about the hard version of this rubber that were much more useful than anything Dan said here. I watched the video again. Pretty much the video shows Dan playing (very well) and pretty much saying these rubbers are fast and spinny and controlled. Compared to what? Saying that it takes months of constant usage to get to know a rubber is not really true. If you really believed this, you would not have written your impressions of the hard versions of this Tour Calibra at MYTT! Surely you can get an initial sense of what they are good for in about five minutes, especially guys at Dan's level and your level of EJ experience. I also think the "product placement" aspect makes it look like an ad, even if that was not the intent. Just something to think about. At the same time, I hope you will continue to do these. Also, Dan, if you want to chime in here, I would honestly love to hear more about how these rubbers felt for you. I'm not trying to add to any flame wars, just giving an impression.

Firstly, thanks for all the constructive feedback to everyone here on TTD,

Hi Baal, thanks for your comment. I understand what your saying and will take into consideration your comments for future equipment reviews :) During the video editing, I thought it would be an idea to place the Stiga products (hard, medium & soft) in the video so viewers new which rubber I was using as I felt like the video was a bit all over the place. For example, one minute there was a shot with me playing a forehand with the Hard rubber, then the next min with a medium rubber and so fourth. So I thought placing products would make it easier for users to understand what was being tested. Once I had processed the video I then realized it did look like an advertisement due to all the product placements but I thought it would be easier for you guys really.

I guess it was my first review, I hope to make them better in the future. Also, I would just like to note to everyone, this is just a playing review and I will explain some negatives I had with a certain product in the future :)

Thanks everyone :) Have a nice weekend, look out for the Asia-Euro Challenge, will be awesome!

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Dan, I would be very keen to hear your thoughts on how the new (medium soft ) Calibra tour compared to calibra LT....namely speed, spin and throw angle. One of the greatest strengths of calibra LT was counter topspining - off and on the table - simply amazing...so your input on these areas would be invaluable. Cheers mate!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
What´s the grip of the Calibra Tour rubbers like? Can someone compare it with the Magnas or ESN Tensors like Hexer/Genius?
Does the topsheet have a higher percentage of natural rubber?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That seems very unfair and totally unfounded. I have a great deal of respect for both these members, and to imply that their opinions are based on resentment of ttdaily becoming more popular and a threat to OOAK is quite disrespectful to them, and I'm sure totally unfounded.
Sorry to get this thread off track Dan, but I felt this had to be said.

I post just more than a mite at OOAK (and other places) and am not a Stiga boy by any stretch, although I do get a lot of its gear from Nexy TAK9.com, I still prefer German Tibhar stuff, including rubbers and uniforms.

No one will accuse me of being an OOAK to TTD infiltrator or Stiga favored reviewer.

Having said that, I have had a chance to hit with Tour on a Nexy designed Tibhar Inca prototype blade.

Really liked the Tour on my full swings as much or more than Calibra LT, which I used for a spell on FH, before going full time to Aurus.

I didn't have much expectations for it, but the feel and control were better than Calibra LT.