says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Welcome back Marcos Madrid

Hope your season has took off to a flying start in 2011

So this was just a quick update, as you found the pictures you were looking for when you was in China when you was 15. The pictures of you and Xu Xin!

A little know fact.

Marcos Madrid lived with Xu Xin in the same campus hall for 1 year when he was 15 and Xu Xin was 12. Xu Xin was at Marcos level at this young age, which is why they were both in the same training category in China.

marcos xu xin photo 2.jpgmarcos xu xin photo 1.jpg

So Marcos, how did you end up sharing the same floor with Xu Xin?
Yes we were on the same floor. I lived with the coach and xu xin with another player, but Xu Xin was always in my room because he loved the playstation 1 so we played Fifa all the time!

What was Xu Xin like as a boy, very hard working and focussed? Or laid back..
In the training hall he was extremely positive when he played. Very quick on his feet and his RPB was amazing! His mentality is also very strong at the table. He was a very happy, simple and very friendly boy.

Did Xu Xin tell you that one day he wanted to be the best in the world?
No we never spoke about this

Did you both train everyday intensively. How was this training?
Yes we practiced very hard and the club was very good with many players. The coach was fantastic and he worked hard to, which is important in any coach. The groups were separated by playing a tournament at the end of the month to see who finished in the top 12. This was the elite group. I was lucky enough to make the top 12 each time.

So you often got to practice with Xu Xin?
Yes pretty much every day at least once unless a rest day.

Xin+Xu+16th+Asian+Games+Day+7+Table+Tennis+abxKwGe_Bzsl.jpg

Photo by Hannah Johnston/Getty Images AsiaPac

Did you both only play TT or did you play other sports also whilst out in China?
Many times we played football at a Sunday with all the other players.

So did the coaches believe Xu was something special to the rest of the players in the training centre?
I think yes the coaches believed this because there was a special group that practiced one more hour each day with only 4 players involved. One of them was Xu Xin. They practiced when everyone was finished. At night time 

Did you play matches throughout the week.. how did Xu Xin do against the older players of the group?
The group was very strong, and it was hard to win the monthly competitions but generally Xu Xin did a little better than me and he was 3 years younger than me.

So Marcos when you left China, did you keep in contact with Xu Xin, do you speak to him at tournaments now?
No the problem was I left to go back to Mexico with the National team, and it was hard to keep in contact with players from China. Maybe if there was facebook back then and everything i may still be in contact with all those players.

Yes I speak to Xu Xin at tournaments.

I recognised Xu at the World Championships in Croatia. I heard his name get called out and I directly spoke to him because his style and everything, just looked to much like the same boy. I spoke to him and it was him!. I was very surprised and happy that he can make it so well 

Ok so the last question I ask, Xu Xin is obviously one of the top 5 best in the world currently. Was there any reason to this? Was it due to his sheer hard work as a young player, or is he extremely gifted and talented.

I think it was a combination of everything. Hard work, enthusiasm, talented, mentally strong and a huge passion for the game. And also being at that amazing club I was at for 1 year! However he spent his whole life there.

So do you think if you stayed at Xu's club for longer you may have reached a higher potiential?
I think yes, but I still have a long way to go and know I can compete with these guys!

Once again Marcos, thanks for your time.

TabletennisDaily

Comment below on what you think... if you want to ask more questions please do so here and im sure Marcos will get back to you on them

Click here for more TableTennisDaily Interview's

says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
says Where will table tennis be in the future? And what ideas...
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Thanks for the interview, I have a few questions for Marcos. On reflection of your life do you think that you made the right decisions? Do you wish you stayed at the club in China, however if you did you wouldn't of had much of a life as it would have just been all table tennis? Or are you glad with the amount of time that you have spent in your life playing table tennis in Mexico as this has given you more time to do other things? Or do you possibly wish that you hadn't spent so much time playing table tennis (and of just reached a reasonable standard for fun) as the amount you get paid is not very much especially compared to other sports?

Thanks

says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
says http://N-Box.co.cc [IMG] My Best Player after Ma Long...
Oct 2010
really excellent interview, and thanks for share ^_^

iLike this guys, and i like his style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Hello to answer your questions :

When i was in China it was not easy for me to make decisions. I was really young and its not that easy to leave home at that age and go to CHina to practice table tennis. However i loved every minute and it was really good and I was happy. But before I left to go to China my mind was set to go for one year and after to come back to Mexico to be Mexican Champion. This was a small dream of mine that came true!. But maybe this was my mistake staying in Mexico to finish my school. Sometimes i do regret that I could of spent more time in China and who knows where that would of taken me. However i was small and it was really difficuly decisions at the time. Im happy with how things have turned out tho, you must keep looking at the present and future.

says anyone tel me where can i buy the return board here in...
says anyone tel me where can i buy the return board here in...
Nov 2010
wow..cool!!!!!