True?? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I use baby oil, it has the same result but without the bad smell. I does not change the apperance of the rubber, if the rubber looks old and worn out it will look the same after this but with improved spin. If you do this with the rubber detached from the blade, after several applications she will curl and expand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I do this for quite a while now and never had any problems. I also use tenergy. I put about 3 layers and brush while its still drying so it doesn't leave marks on the rubber (although they disapear with time). One thing i noticed on some rubbers is the louder clicking sound.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
That can happen because the oil dissolves the glue between the rubber and sponge. On lower quality rubbers that will happen faster

says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
Yes the concept is nothing new... has been discussed on the forums for years. Some oils work better than others. Unless you want to boost your rubber (yes multiple layers will give a boost effect), I'd suggest only use a single layer, which is enough to restore grip to some extent. Note also that if you do this too often, it will add significant weight to your rubbers, and the rubber can become saturated, which changes it's characteristics.