says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hey guys,

Youtuber, JaggedTranslates has done fantastic work translating the match between Ma Long and Yan An in the 2013 China Trials Stage 3. China's head coach Liu Guoliang gives his breakdown of the match!

yananlong2013.jpg

Yan An - Photo by: sports.sohu.com

Translation Note:
Liu Guoliang is rather challenging to translate here. The loud cheer of the spectators muffled quite a few of his words. Plus he makes frequent interjections to his own sentences and gets interrupted by the other commentator often. I'm pretty sure I've misinterpreted some of his words. I've tried to make intelligent guesses to the best of my ability. Liu Guoliang made analogies I wasn't too certain of, so overall I've made mostly literal translations of his words, word-for-word as he said them, and left them to your interpretations. I'm open to corrections.

If you cannot see the translations, turn your captions on :)

What did you find interesting?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
It is very interesting how Liu Guliang could analize this match. It seems he knows every tactics of both players.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey guys,

Youtuber, JaggedTranslates has done fantastic work translating the match between Ma Long and Yan An in the 2013 China Trials Stage 3. China's head coach Liu Guoliang gives his breakdown of the match!

yananlong2013.jpg

Yan An - Photo by: sports.sohu.com

Translation Note:
Liu Guoliang is rather challenging to translate here. The loud cheer of the spectators muffled quite a few of his words. Plus he makes frequent interjections to his own sentences and gets interrupted by the other commentator often. I'm pretty sure I've misinterpreted some of his words. I've tried to make intelligent guesses to the best of my ability. Liu Guoliang made analogies I wasn't too certain of, so overall I've made mostly literal translations of his words, word-for-word as he said them, and left them to your interpretations. I'm open to corrections.

If you cannot see the translations, turn your captions on :)

What did you find interesting?

Dan, who did the translation? You?

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)
Jan 2011
I think table tennis matches should be commentated by the coaches or at least by people with in-depth knowledge about the sport, because it does make the matches seem far more interesting for people to watch, which is only good for the promotion of the sport. All I hear on ittv these days is "What a shot", "What a speed", "What a Forehand" and so on. It does stir up some enthusiasm for sure, but it would be great if they also made a couple of cool points about technical and psychological aspects of the game.
By the way, Gavin Rumgay did a fantastic job as a commentator, I would love to see more of him.

Last edited:
Reactions: TableTennisDaily
This user has no status.
Reactions: Dan

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
I think table tennis matches should be commentated by the coaches or at least by people with in-depth knowledge about the sport, because it does make the matches seem far more interesting for people to watch, which is only good for the promotion of the sport. All I hear on ittv these days is "What a shot", "What a speed", "What a Forehand" and so on. It does stir up some enthusiasm for sure, but it would be great if they also made a couple of cool points about technical and psychological aspects of the game.
By the way, Gavin Rumgay did a fantastic job as a commentator, I would love to see more of him.

Hey Lan. I spoke with Gavin Rumgay the other day, he will be commentating at this years WTTC 2013! So we sure will hear more of him! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Now these chinese commentary are as they should be, informative, insightful, educative.

But this one is the one I really hate so I always turn the sound off. He contributes nothing useful to the commentary, the things he say are obvious like, Ma Long's serve..., Ma Long's in the lead... good shot. Here we have a bit of replay... AHA !!! Oho ho hoho do we like this!? Dooo we like this? Ma Long was just like BAAANG! That's it that's it!!
And on top of that he really sounds like some old fart.

Anyone know his name??? I'm really curious to know this as he comments quite few matches.

Reactions: Lan