says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for the review. Quite to the point and entertaining to watch.

It would be interesting to know what setup both players normally use. When you say "not as good", we need to know compared to what...

And btw, it's pronounced Zhang Jee Ke ;)

I have had a friend who is from China tell me how to pronounce this name and it sounds like the way the Chinese announcers say it when they are saying his name during a match. Very different than the way I have heard any westerner say his name. The Z does not sound like the way a westerner would say a Z. The a of Zhang sounds like a very soft uh like in "uh-oh" but very soft. The ng is a soft nasal n. The J-i of Jike sounds almost like the "je" in the French term "Je ne sais pas!". And the the e at the end of Jike also sounds like a very soft uh.

Listen to the Chinese announcers in a match where he is playing and you will hear the correct way to pronounce the name Zhang Jike. Because, even what I said above, because it is letters and not spoken, can be misunderstood and end up creating the wrong pronunciation. The Chinese announcers know how to pronounce his name. :) Not the western announcers. :) They always butcher the pronunciation of his name.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
very nice detailed review!

May I ask how often you guys practice in a week?

What do you think how long T80 can keep the full capacity (is that the right word?)

How often should I change this rubber if I practice for example 2-3 times per week for 2 hours?

best regards

TaTe-Maniac

Sali's comment is pretty good. The one thing I will say is, you will know when to change it. At a certain point the topsheet loses its ability to grab the ball.

As Sali said, if you are really interested in the high end of the performance of the rubber, you will feel that shortly (a few weeks to a month). It will still have grip, but not the kind of grip it had when it was brand new. The second level of that is when it really stops grabbing the ball effectively. That is when, if you are not playing competitively at a fairly high level, you will start needing to change the rubber.

So, trust yourself. You will feel when you need to change the rubber. If it is still working well enough for you, keep using it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
There is another thing. Most of the amateurs (I am thinking of the guys who play in the club but their technique is not good enough) cannot see thee problem of rubber getting old. You know their shots are not regular, so they do not know if it is a problem of rubber or lack of technique. Generally we can say that maximum life level of a rubber is 6 months if you do not care much about high spin balls. For a medium playing level is about 3 months. And if you are professional max 1 month.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I have had a friend who is from China tell me how to pronounce this name and it sounds like the way the Chinese announcers say it when they are saying his name during a match. Very different than the way I have heard any westerner say his name. The Z does not sound like the way a westerner would say a Z. The a of Zhang sounds like a very soft uh like in "uh-oh" but very soft. The ng is a soft nasal n. The J-i of Jike sounds almost like the "je" in the French term "Je ne sais pas!". And the the e at the end of Jike also sounds like a very soft uh.

Listen to the Chinese announcers in a match where he is playing and you will hear the correct way to pronounce the name Zhang Jike. Because, even what I said above, because it is letters and not spoken, can be misunderstood and end up creating the wrong pronunciation. The Chinese announcers know how to pronounce his name. :) Not the western announcers. :) They always butcher the pronunciation of his name.

True,

I watch plenty of Youtube / CCTV5 and speak a bit of Chinese as I have Chinese relatives, so I guess I'm OK. But the "Jye"ke (as in bye) ke hurts my ears more than the "Zang"

And the "i" is pronounced like "ee", hence many "li" emigrating to English speaking countries become Lee (e.g. Bruce Lee)

Coming back to the subject of T80, I was a bit surprised that they seemed to compare it with T05 for speed while, unboosted, T64 seems faster. Hence my question, what do they normally play with?

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Thanks for the review. Quite to the point and entertaining to watch.

It would be interesting to know what setup both players normally use. When you say "not as good", we need to know compared to what...

And btw, it's pronounced Zhang Jee Ke ;)

Hey Olio I'm sorry I forgot to answer what my usual set up is. My set up is the Timo Boll Spirit with Tenergy 05 on each side. Tom's setup is a Stiga Hybrid wood blade with Tenergy 05 both sides. We were unable to compare the T80's with other Tenergy's as we havent tried them before.

Glad you like the review :)

I now also pronounce Zhang Jike correctly :)

Sent from my S2 using Tapatalk 2

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well I have bought one for myself. I must say that I am little surprise with the huge spin. It is little bit slower then 05 in my opinion, but has more spin. So other way then butterfly says. Very good control, little bit difficult to flip.

Yeah, I am not sure why Butterfly says it is faster and does not get as much spin. They did the same with 64.

64 is softest and most spin of the regular Tenergy series; 80 is not as soft as 64 but softer than 05, it has more spin and less speed than 05, it has less spin and a little more speed than 64; 05 is harder than 80 but softer than 25, has more speed and less spin than 80, has more spin and less speed than 25; 25 is the hardest, it is the fastest of the Tenergy series, it has the least spin of the Tenergy series.

All that being said, they all spin the ball pretty darn well, and they are all more than fast enough. 05FX and 64FX are also more than fast enough for many. :)

All are good rubbers. Which one is best for you? It depends on what you like, and how you play. Softer = more spin and more easy to control. Harder = faster and less spin and not as easy to control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Read 5 reviews
Very well-rounded report by Mr.TTD here.
Many aspects of the game are highlighted, illustrating both strengths and weaknesses of T80. As a non-tenergy player, it is good to see the comments from other users on how this rubber compares to alternative tenergy rubbers, 05 and 64. I feel I have comprehensive knowledge of this rubber thanks to this review and may convert to the tenergy family one day.

Cheers mate.

Reactions: TableTennisDaily
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Dan,

I just come across bout the T80, my friend bought the rubber from China, and he said the rubber from China are slightly different from what you can get from local market. Are this true? I heard that, Bty has different grade allocate for different countries/regions etc etc... Like, eg, national players, rubbers are grade A, and so on, while us, only manage to buy grade D or below. And, the rubber he bought from China recently, a lot more expensive than what i pay for. What he told me, the top sheet of the T80 from China (quality better than) commercial (you buy from retailer TT shop). Once you play both rubber, you can tell the different. Are you think than a worth to buy from China market? Thanks

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Dan,

I just come across bout the T80, my friend bought the rubber from China, and he said the rubber from China are slightly different from what you can get from local market. Are this true? I heard that, Bty has different grade allocate for different countries/regions etc etc... Like, eg, national players, rubbers are grade A, and so on, while us, only manage to buy grade D or below. And, the rubber he bought from China recently, a lot more expensive than what i pay for. What he told me, the top sheet of the T80 from China (quality better than) commercial (you buy from retailer TT shop). Once you play both rubber, you can tell the different. Are you think than a worth to buy from China market? Thanks

Hey buddy this in an interesting source you have heard. I'm really not to sure, I find the rubbers I get from the UK are great, I'm not to sure there is much difference. I would be interested in comparing a China Tenergy to others. How much are they to buy from the China Market? Is there a website I can check out..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Hey buddy this in an interesting source you have heard. I'm really not to sure, I find the rubbers I get from the UK are great, I'm not to sure there is much difference. I would be interested in comparing a China Tenergy to others. How much are they to buy from the China Market? Is there a website I can check out..
The Chinese T80 selling ard USD100 and while the local market ard USD 70. And that's not fake T80,fyi (Sali) . I know a lot of fake products from China but my friend know how to differentiate between genuine and fake. I'm not sure there's a website I don't encourage buy thru website cos we all know Chinese site cannot be trust at all.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
very helpful review !!!! amazing !!!

Thanks CANP much appreciated! :)

The Chinese T80 selling ard USD100 and while the local market ard USD 70. And that's not fake T80,fyi (Sali) . I know a lot of fake products from China but my friend know how to differentiate between genuine and fake. I'm not sure there's a website I don't encourage buy thru website cos we all know Chinese site cannot be trust at all.

Yes, I understand what your saying here :) What i think tho, is with Butterfly, the quality is very high. I think if you got a T80 from different areas of the world it will still be of good quality. Unless yes they are fake versions. But the originals they will all be great for us to use. Unless we are Timo Boll or Michael Maze, we wouldn't notice to much difference in the quality. What do you think buddy?

Amazing review, I am thinking to get a couple of T80 and try them during the summer.

Thanks Cloren! Please let us know how you get on with your new T80's in the summer.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Read 2 reviews
Thanks CANP much appreciated! :)

Yes, I understand what your saying here :) What i think tho, is with Butterfly, the quality is very high. I think if you got a T80 from different areas of the world it will still be of good quality. Unless yes they are fake versions. But the originals they will all be great for us to use. Unless we are Timo Boll or Michael Maze, we wouldn't notice to much difference in the quality. What do you think buddy?

Thanks Cloren! Please let us know how you get on with your new T80's in the summer.

Totally agreed... Recently, my friend just bought Japanese version of bryce speed. The sponge at the back usually printing some japanese words etc, and with "JP" then it probably comes from japan... and normal rubbers, just normal printing with japanese words follow by 2.1mm. I need more research on these issue.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Totally agreed... Recently, my friend just bought Japanese version of bryce speed. The sponge at the back usually printing some japanese words etc, and with "JP" then it probably comes from japan... and normal rubbers, just normal printing with japanese words follow by 2.1mm. I need more research on these issue.

Nice, I would be interested to know the differences between that Bryce speed and others. All I have heard is that in the factories of these rubber companies, the center of the rubber sheet is the highest quality and that's what goes to the professionals. The outside edges the rubber cutting is slightly less standard. I don't know this 100% but this is word on the street. I have heard a lot of people talk about this throughout my time.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
There is a strange thing Dan, butterfly locate this product as faster then t05 but less spin. Also in the chart I found it very close to t25, so I am thinking if they maybe are going to cancel t25 from their offer and put instead t80. Even mizutani said that t80 is good because it is between t05 and t64, but he Did not mentioned t25 which is already there. The other thing is you mentioned surfing test that it is softer then t05 ( or maybe I wrongly understood) so it should be simillar to t05fx. The lat think I want to ask if you could compare t80 to calibra tour medium you just tested?

T80 is softer than T05 and a little slower and lower throw actually (which surpises me), but feels completely different from T05FX.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yeah, I am not sure why Butterfly says it is faster and does not get as much spin. They did the same with 64.

64 is softest and most spin of the regular Tenergy series; 80 is not as soft as 64 but softer than 05, it has more spin and less speed than 05, it has less spin and a little more speed than 64; 05 is harder than 80 but softer than 25, has more speed and less spin than 80, has more spin and less speed than 25; 25 is the hardest, it is the fastest of the Tenergy series, it has the least spin of the Tenergy series.

All that being said, they all spin the ball pretty darn well, and they are all more than fast enough. 05FX and 64FX are also more than fast enough for many. :)

All are good rubbers. Which one is best for you? It depends on what you like, and how you play. Softer = more spin and more easy to control. Harder = faster and less spin and not as easy to control.

I'm not convinced it's that simple, although parts of what Carl writes are similar to what I felt with these. I think T05 is actually spinnier than T64 and slower just a bit (although harder). I found T80 and T25 to be slower than T05 on many shots. T25 and T05 seem about equally spinny to me. But then, all this also depends on how far you are from the table on any given shot. T25 is superb from close in but loses a lot at middle distance and beyond. So in my experience at least, they are all different, they are all pretty good, and not everybody will like the same ones. I hated T05FX, love T05, like T25 ok, T25FX not bad. T64 hard for me to control on my blade, and T80 surprised me by being kind of dead, but I am going to stick with it for awhile on my BH. The good news is that price has come down.