says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
I think most TT players do cross steps, but normally when we are forced into it. It's quite an easy shot to do, but takes ages to master. Normally players just do a shimmy sideways and reach into the shot. Recovery from the shot is the key and the best placement is cross table. Going down the line it has to be an absolute winner, otherwise you'll be leaving your BH wide open.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've been taught only to do so on extreme reaches, it makes setting up the next shot harder so should be avoided whenever possible.

This is what I have been taught and I agree. Sometimes you do it because there is no other way to get to the ball. But, if you can use the one-step or a few one-step movements to get there, you are set for the shot and it is much easier to get set for the next shot as well.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah true, however a Chinese coach taught me this once. If the ball is wide to your forehand and you have the confident's, you can use the cross step to hit the ball as you can generate a lot more power.. I guess its a gamble shot! :)

Its true, I was also taught that, if you can use it to put the ball away, and you know it is not going to come back then it is okay as well. :)