Evaluate My Service

This user has no status.
Gud Day Everyone

wow time sure does fly fast

i thought i was only playing table tennis for 5 mins and it was actually 1 year

i made a variety of changes in my serve

its mostly Based on this other than the BH Serve, its sorta a combination of a pendelum and a reverse one which requires quick hand and wrist work for a full and fast followthrough of a serve

this is sorta my own version of his serve:
Pendelum Chop

Reverse Pendelum

Pendelum Side Top

Reverse Pendelum Side Top

Pendelum Top

BH Serves:

Right Side Spin

Chop

Side Chop

Side Top

and my current game, its not the latest one

Against a Flat Driver:

Against a Strategy Placement Player:

most of the services are 2 mins each :)

it would be awesome if you can tell what kind of player am i , even im not sure , but i am curious to whether i am a chopper, fisher , blocker, all around, etc.

these are my usual serves in the game

it would be awesome if you can give me advice and tips on how to improve it even more, i would also like to know my flaws

thank you Everyone :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
My first observation is that your serves bounce way too high over the net. A good player will be able to flip those quite easily. You can fix this by contacting the ball lower when you serve. Focus less on a deception, and more on spin, height, and placement. It helps tremendously to visualize your serve and third ball response before you toss the ball. A good serve sets up your third ball attack.

Reactions: amekun
This user has no status.
My first observation is that your serves bounce way too high over the net. A good player will be able to flip those quite easily. You can fix this by contacting the ball lower when you serve. Focus less on a deception, and more on spin, height, and placement. It helps tremendously to visualize your serve and third ball response before you toss the ball. A good serve sets up your third ball attack.

thank you , ill try to get it lower i also notice that i dont bend much when i serve, ill try to contact it lower.

This user has no status.
When you toss the ball you should lean on your back foot and when you make contact you have to put your weight on your front foot, this weight transition allows you to put more spin/speed on your serve when doing it correctly...

wow this is the 1st time i got this advice, ok i will do the weight transfer

thx guys for pointing out my flaws
ill be sure to change it and improve more in my games :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
I wonder how long have you been playing table tennis, man? looking at your serves and your games, i can see it is not about your quality of the ball at the moment as you are asking, but rather what you need to improve is the whole things of your body, your moves, your ball contacts, impact... before getting concern on the quality of the ball.

I am also taking lesson and my coach always keep telling me that my first year is just for the right moves and right actions. And frankly speaking you are still so far away from it. So my point is don't get concerned about your serves at the moment, too early, perhaps :)

This user has no status.
That's true... Try to stick with the normal pendulum serve and train on placement, spin and speed, I have even more serves than you but my coach says just to stick to the pendulum and backhand serve for now.

Try to train on your flat stroke, topspin, pushes, ... first and when you can do everything decently, then train on the reverse serves :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
it would be awesome if you can tell what kind of player am i , even im not sure , but i am curious to whether i am a chopper, fisher , blocker, all around, etc.

it would be awesome if you can give me advice and tips on how to improve it even more, i would also like to know my flaws

The problem is that as of right now, you don't have any game. To have a game, you need to understand your strengths (the things you are good at, the tools that help you win points), and your weaknesses (the things that cause you to lose points, or put you at a disadvantage during games), so that you can put your strengths into play against your opponent, while preventing them from exploiting your weaknesses.

If I were you, I would write down on a notepad a list of skills you believe are better than the rest of your game, along with a list of things that hinder you from playing your game. If you can't do this, you will never significantly improve as a player.

Figure out how you want to play the game, and you will find your style.

As a side note, it would help tremendously to read what Carl wrote here as I notice that your equipment is very fast:

Now I will give my last piece of information, that I give, over and over and nobody fully listens to. I will see if I can say it a little differently. But I do get why nobody wants to listen to it. :) Fast blades are fun. I love the way they feel. It took me a while to get this. :)

Players who have good technique and are above 2100 level (USATT rating), which is about when a players fundamentals begin to become REALLY solid, can use a blade that has carbon in it without it slowing the development of their technique. That level is about where a player starts looking fundamentally sound, and, regardless of who they play, their technique stays decent. So, even when they get beaten up badly on the court, it is not because their technique fell apart and became sloppy. It is simply because they other player gave them stuff they could not handle.

For someone who just likes to play and does not really care about improving technique, this information is a little beside the point. If you are a person who just likes to play, plays mostly matches, does not do much training and does not work on improving technique, then just using what ever you want is fine. You will get better. But, there are certain aspects of technique that the pros employ that those players will not learn. Which is fine. Ultimately I play Table Tennis because it is SOOOOOOOO fun. But for me, the most fun I get from Table Tennis is from working on and improving the more subtle more detailed aspects of technique, like how you contact the ball, how you get the rubber to grab the ball, how you hold the ball on the racket longer to get more spin.

Last week I was hitting with my sister and she said: "I think I get what you mean by dwell time now. Because I am watching when you are hitting the ball and it is staying in contact with your rubber for a really long time." I like learning how you do things like that.

So, for a player who is not 2100 yet, using a carbon blade and using a blade that is faster than Off- can slow down the process of learning certain subtle stuff about how you contact the ball, how you hold the ball on the rubber, how you let the ball sink into the topsheet, and how much you let the ball sink into the topsheet, and how you use the forearm snap and the wrist in producing spin, the timing of all those things. Because a carbon blade makes it harder to feel the ball on the topsheet and sponge, and a faster blade makes it harder to hold the ball on the there, for most players who are not at this level, using a blade like a:

Butterfly Primorac Off-

or a

Stiga Tube Allround

(both blades are all wood and both blades are Off- rated and about the same speed), will help you develop an aspect of touch that most players at that level do not know you need. You will not have to try to learn this. It will happen naturally with a blade that speed that is all wood and has good ball feel. It will also help you develop the timing of the weight transfer for more power in your stroke. With an Off rated blade, a player who does not already have that technique and timing does not have to learn it, because the blade does the work. But, when your body has that touch and knows those techniques, when you get to a level around 2100 and switch to the type of blade mentioned in this thread, your technique will be ready for the equipment and the equipment will help you go to the next level.

Until your technique is fully solid, Off- all wood blades are very worth using.

Last edited:
Reactions: amekun
This user has no status.
I wonder how long have you been playing table tennis, man? looking at your serves and your games, i can see it is not about your quality of the ball at the moment as you are asking, but rather what you need to improve is the whole things of your body, your moves, your ball contacts, impact... before getting concern on the quality of the ball.

I am also taking lesson and my coach always keep telling me that my first year is just for the right moves and right actions. And frankly speaking you are still so far away from it. So my point is don't get concerned about your serves at the moment, too early, perhaps :)

yes ive been playing for a year now
im self taught watching videos etc
but im planning to get someone to coach me very soon :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I think more than focusing on your serves, you should develop your proper timing and correct execution of your strokes...Also, your setup is good, but it's not what you need/deserve right now basing from the videos. You need a slower setup as Sir Carl pointed out.. That way, you can develop faster and be able to "sense" the ball clearly..Develop your strokes and stick to simpler serves...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Nice service you've got. Althuogh it's good to keep practising, as you propably already know ;)