When to use backhand flick

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2012
So i've noticed a lot of professionals use the backhand flick as a service return but is this only when they read it to be a slow spinny topspin? I find it really hard to return a slow spinny backspin with the backhand flick. Thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
The sidespin over the table loop from Backhand is so popular these days not only because you get the initiative instantly but it's also a very versatile shot. You can do it from most any kind of ball without any major adjustments in your stroke, and it's harder to read the pace and placement for the opponent. They generally have to make a decision later on that shot. There are a lot of youtube videos on this shot. Generally, against backspin it's harder if you aren't generating enough racket speed. The racket speed needs to be pretty fast. Practice, practice, practice. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
This is a recent evolution of table tennis being pushed by the coaching staff in China. The hard backspin push and other types of placement shots were more common in the last decade a before, but now the newest generation of players are utilizing this flick as a way to take initiative as Beeray says. I don't really find it hard to generate a lot of lift...so I think it is a technique issue you are experiencing. For me, the hard part of the shot is really the spin judgment of the service and thus how much lift to apply. As with all upward-grazing shots, I don't find it particularly imperative that it be hit at the top of the bounce.