Sign after a name on the ITTF ranking list

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Hi!

I have a question.
I saw Singapore on the live stream and i thougt this are not the strongest players. Only Gao Ning.

Now i was searching for other players on the ittf ranking list, and i saw ZHAN
Jian ^ (SIN)
and more players who had that sign
What is the meaning of that sign, are they former Chinese and not allowed to play for the country or something else?

Ton

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Hi!

I have a question.
I saw Singapore on the live stream and i thougt this are not the strongest players. Only Gao Ning.

Now i was searching for other players on the ittf ranking list, and i saw ZHAN
Jian ^ (SIN)
and more players who had that sign
What is the meaning of that sign, are they former Chinese and not allowed to play for the country or something else?

Ton

Hey Progton. There can be one or two signs.
^ one cap means they are originally from another nation and have changed their representation. Zhan Jian is likely to have been from China and changed to Singapore.
^^ two caps means they have changed their representation and their name. For example Liu Yongshuai moved from China to New Zealand and his name is now Liu Teng Teng and he plays in New Zealand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
I see both Yoshida Kaii and Chan Kazuhiro are originated from China and pick up new names after moving to Japan but there are no sign with them. Jiang Tianyi also moved to Hong Kong from China and no sign too. Could it be the list is not complete or the sign actually means something else?

Some Chinese players who moved to another country a long time ago have already lost those marks. For example Li Jiao, she got her Dutch passport nearly 10 years ago. I don't know for how long Feng Tianwei, Kaii Yoshida and Chan Kazuhiro have lived outside China, but I think it's somewhat similar for them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
i think ifyou are eligible to represent your country in the world championships then the sign disappears from the name.
zhan jian cant play in the worlds due to the eligibility rules, however feng tianwei, wu jiaduo, shen yanfei, chen weixing etc are eligible to represent their 'new' country in the worlds so do not have a sign after their name.