Which top players boost?

says Hello guys, I play the highest junior division in...
says Hello guys, I play the highest junior division in...
Jan 2012
Read 3 reviews
Hello forum. I would like to bring op the "Tabu" topic of boosting. Which top players do boost? Which do not?
We all know the top players of China, boost with Dain Chi, also Timo Boll. Dian chi

But you have to boost DHS rubbers. My real question is, which top players are boosting? Which are not? What are your opinions on boosting?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2012
Jun was recently quoted saying he was never doing any sort if boycott but was simply resting for some months after the Olympics. The booster boycott was just a rumor that a lot of people believed.

says Aging is a killer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Im sorry but may I ask what boosting is?

Here's a definition of a booster from Greg Letts. http://tabletennis.about.com/od/glossary/g/booster.htm

Definition: Booster is a liquid applied to speed glued sponge to temporarily reactivate the speed glue effect after the effect has worn off.Since repeated speed gluing of a rubber can make the rubber significantly heavier due to the build up of glue in the sponge, and reduce the speed glue effect, booster can be handy to regain the speed glue effect without causing further build up of speed glue in the sponge.

Note that speed glue is now banned by the ITTF, but you can still get some of the same effects with booster on water based glue.

Here's another definition from Sir Carl, who can describe boosting way better than I ever could:

What boosting and speed glue do to the sponge is cause it to expand. When the sponge expands it puts the topsheet of the rubber on tension. The sponge has more bounce and therefore more speed, but the topsheet being on tension, allows the ball to sink into the rubber more fully and the tension also causes the topsheet to grip the ball more fully. So one of the things you get with speed glue or boosting is MORE DWELL TIME, which means more SPEED, more SPIN and more CONTROL.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Basically booster's are nothing but a voc free oil, I've used Falco Long Boost and I get the same results if I use Baby oil, or mineral oil, it just expands the sponge and puts tension on the top sheet. Most of the ESN rubbers are tuned at the factory and when the tuner starts drying out they get slower and less spinney. I suspect they use some form of mineral oil.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Don't think baby oil leave any traces, so kinda hard to check.

says Aging is a killer
When all is said and done, the ITTF on a whole does not really care. But there are individuals who seem to have more smarts and political clout than their numbers indicate.
Eg. pimples modification, ball size change, 21 to 11 game, booster ban. All pushed through by individuals without any proper supporting evidence (or discussion) of real benefit.
Tournament organisers probably don't have bat testing so as not to discourage participants.

Last edited: