Who do you think will win the World Table Tennis Championships 2013?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 76 37.4%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 75 36.9%
  • Wang Hao

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Chuang CHih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Ma Lin

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 8 3.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
As a Ma Long Fan I have nothing to say. Wang Hao just played superb table tennis. Ma long could not handle his nerves. When I was matching the match I just thought ¨Ma long will not be able te beat Zhang Jike if he happened to get to the final¨. Zhang Jike just get to another level under pressure while Ma Long succumbs. :(

Reactions: TableTennisDaily
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
As a Ma Long Fan I have nothing to say. Wang Hao just played superb table tennis. Ma long could not handle his nerves. When I was matching the match I just thought ¨Ma long will not be able te beat Zhang Jike if he happened to get to the final¨. Zhang Jike just get to another level under pressure while Ma Long succumbs. :(

Good summary, I don't think Ma Long was expecting Wang Hao to come out all guns blazing in the first few sets! Wang Hao's backhand was exceptional!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
I'm a bit disappointed by the second half of today.
The day started with some amazing quarter finals... Xu Xin vs Kenta Matsudaira was a very special match and I loved how Kenta actually outblocked the player with the world's best footwork. Timo brought the same tension into the arena as he did in Rotterdam against Zhang Jike. But after Baum failed to take the lead while being 10-6 up against Zhang it all went downwards.
Baum couldn't even get close to Zhang anymore and the last SF place went lost to China as well. The men's doubles final was a small highlight (China has held this cup for 20 years!) but even though Chien and Chuang are a great team, Ma Lin and Hao Shuai looked slow and unmotivated.
I was hoping for Liu Shiwen to grab the title, but Li Xiaoxia was simply better today.
And the men's semi finals... I don't think the crowd has been this silent the past week... I hoped for anything but another Wang Hao-Zhang Jike final but they got an easy trip there. They deserved it of course, but I hope the final will be a lot more interesting than the semi finals because those were depressing..

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Alright, I am going to say this and I don't think any of the Ma Long fans out there are going to like it.

I was hoping Ma Long could win the World Championships this year and put the whole discussion to rest. But, two things I saw this morning in the first two quarter final matches (Ma Long v Timo Boll and Wang Hao v Yan An) made me realize he could not win and made me realize he would lose to Wang Hao.

First, I saw Timo make Ma Long struggle with a good and intelligent short game. Second, I saw Wang Hao use the short game and the same Jedi mind tricks on Yan An in their quarter final match that he used on Ma Long in 2011 WTTC.

Yan An's short game is better than Ma Long's. Yan An's BH is better than Ma Long's. But Ma Long's FH is better than anyone's so people sometimes seem to miss this that his short game is not as good as it needs to be.

So when I saw Ma Long struggling against Timo and what Wang Hao did to Yan An, I had a feeling Ma Long still could not handle Wang Hao.

It was not nerves. Ma Long would never have gotten past Timo without Liu Gouliang in his corner. Liu Gouliang saved Ma Long several times in that match when he was falling prey to Timo's short game.

I knew, against Wang Hao, he would not have LG in his corner. I knew he could not handle the short game and the Jedi mind trick. Wang Hao was nice and eased up for games 4 and 5. In game 6 he decided to end it: and look at the score.

Zhang Jike's short game is good enough to handle Wang Hao, and in big events, against the better players, he comes to play and win. He did not show up for Baum. He knew he could win without being fully there. He showed up for Xu Xin. He will show up tomorrow.

I believe Zhang Jike will win. But we will see what Wang Hao has up his sleeve.

And, unless Ma Long gets a real top flight short game and improves his backhand, he cannot win WTTC. But, honestly, I think this was his last chance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
Wow. I knew it would be tough for Ma Long against Wang Hao but that was much worse than I thought. I mean, in the end the match was awesome and the athmosfere was great at the stadium, but Ma Long was sweating allready before the match when he bought his equipment bag next to the court.

He was literally looking sick and nervous. He was very hesitant and seemed to fail at anything he tried. Even Wang Hao seemed to not like it, he wouldn't wan't to win that way. Then in the 4th set being 3-0 down in sets he managed to free his mind and unleash the beast in him. And the croud (including me, a fan of Wang Hao) was really with him. Then he just lost it again in the 6th, while simultaneously Wang Hao was upping his game.

In the end I think it was a great match with some super rallies, Ma Long just didn't have the mentality to finish his comeback this time.
Now let's just hope that there is nothing serious going on with Wang Hao's back and we'll have two great final matches tomorrow.
Allez!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Alright, I am going to say this and I don't think any of the Ma Long fans out there are going to like it.

I was hoping Ma Long could win the World Championships this year and put the whole discussion to rest. But, two things I saw this morning in the first two quarter final matches (Ma Long v Timo Boll and Wang Hao v Yan An) made me realize he could not win and made me realize he would lose to Wang Hao.

First, I saw Timo make Ma Long struggle with a good and intelligent short game. Second, I saw Wang Hao use the short game and the same Jedi mind tricks on Yan An in their quarter final match that he used on Ma Long in 2011 WTTC.

Yan An's short game is better than Ma Long's. Yan An's BH is better than Ma Long's. But Ma Long's FH is better than anyone's so people sometimes seem to miss this that his short game is not as good as it needs to be.

So when I saw Ma Long struggling against Timo and what Wang Hao did to Yan An, I had a feeling Ma Long still could not handle Wang Hao.

It was not nerves. Ma Long would never have gotten past Timo without Liu Gouliang in his corner. Liu Gouliang saved Ma Long several times in that match when he was falling prey to Timo's short game.

I knew, against Wang Hao, he would not have LG in his corner. I knew he could not handle the short game and the Jedi mind trick. Wang Hao was nice and eased up for games 4 and 5. In game 6 he decided to end it: and look at the score.

Zhang Jike's short game is good enough to handle Wang Hao, and in big events, against the better players, he comes to play and win. He did not show up for Baum. He knew he could win without being fully there. He showed up for Xu Xin. He will show up tomorrow.

I believe Zhang Jike will win. But we will see what Wang Hao has up his sleeve.

And, unless Ma Long gets a real top flight short game and improves his backhand, he cannot win WTTC. But, honestly, I think this was his last chance.

great post! Especially the part about short game and coaching with timo. I agree that if boll played ma long without coaches boll would win

I believe his chances are not over..from the upcoming young generation chinese, only Yan An is convincing enough to compete so I believe he still has some chances. Till 2015 anything can happen so I think its a bit early to predict if his chances are over or not. The same predictions were made by many chinese people against wang hao after the loss of 2008. They called him a loser and he proved them wrong the next year after winning wttc 2009 and the chinese national games (against ma long again! ahaha!) which is a very prestigious event for china.

Besides no one expected wang hao to win, They said he is too old too slow he is a loser, and yet he still managed to get to the final and defeat ma long once again.

People should stop asking whether ML is better than ZJK. The question now is if WH can outsmart ZJK, ML is not even in the picture of world table tennis.

3 semi finals 3 losses. No more excuses fore ML. WH and ZJK are far better

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
so it s here again only this time it s zjk s chance to change the history and become the player with the most major titles, with the count 4 exactly like waldner. whatt is probably even more for him is that he can actually be better than those who didn t trust him before he won the first title.Today he really can come out of the shadow of the great lgl and klh. It will be interesting to see what this kind of preasure will do to him. Can t wait to find out.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
great post! Especially the part about short game and coaching with timo. I agree that if boll played ma long without coaches boll would win

I believe his chances are not over..from the upcoming young generation chinese, only Yan An is convincing enough to compete so I believe he still has some chances. Till 2015 anything can happen so I think its a bit early to predict if his chances are over or not. The same predictions were made by many chinese people against wang hao after the loss of 2008. They called him a loser and he proved them wrong the next year after winning wttc 2009 and the chinese national games (against ma long again! ahaha!) which is a very prestigious event for china.

Besides no one expected wang hao to win, They said he is too old too slow he is a loser, and yet he still managed to get to the final and defeat ma long once again.

People should stop asking whether ML is better than ZJK. The question now is if WH can outsmart ZJK, ML is not even in the picture of world table tennis.

3 semi finals 3 losses. No more excuses fore ML. WH and ZJK are far better

Fair Point. You cannot fully count him out. But if he cannot play a better short game and handle it when someone keeps him from attacking, and if he cannot play better from the backhand side so he can control the points, he will not beat the current top players in the big tournaments and the next generation, including Yan An and Fan Zhendong, are only going to build on the talent they already have. In a few years, those two guys are doing to be dominating.

This user has no status.
Carl, I'm still a newbie in table tennis so please give me a little idea of the importance of the short games and perhaps how Ma Long could adjust for improvements. Because, to be honest, I think short games are just much easier than the looping and opening topspin rally, etc. Is it something to do with placing the shots with disguised racket face and place them into unexpected, hard-to-loop areas?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, I'm still a newbie in table tennis so please give me a little idea of the importance of the short games and perhaps how Ma Long could adjust for improvements. Because, to be honest, I think short games are just much easier than the looping and opening topspin rally, etc. Is it something to do with placing the shots with disguised racket face and place them into unexpected, hard-to-loop areas?

Short game is all the stuff over the table that keeps your opponent from attacking or making an opening attack that is strong enough to hurt you. And short game is also your ability to attack anything that is over the table regardless of where it is.

If your short game is good enough to keep your opponent from being able to launch an attack then you have put him at a huge disadvantage. If your short game is good enough that, what ever your opponent gives you, you can attack it in a way that exploits your opponent's weaknesses or wins you the point outright, then, you have a huge advantage.

Part of short game is how low you can keep your pushes. The placement is of course an important part as well. But, if you can make a push that has a very low bounce, and is very short, for instance, say you push and the top of the bounce of your push is half the hight of the net and the first bounce is 4 inches past the net and it would bounce several times before reaching the end of the table, and that push is right in the center of the table, that is a very hard ball to attack. Short game has everything to do with touch and control. Now, say your opponent gives you that push I just described, or a serve with similar hight, spin and placement, and you can loop that with good pace and heavy spin from your backhand, to the middle, the deep forehand or the deep backhand, that is going to be hard for the opponent to handle.

Go and watch how Zhang Jike loops over the table with his backhand. His opponents rarely can tell where he is about to go with his shots because he is so good at that over the table backhand. Part of that, for him is also that his footwork is amazing. You really cannot have a good short game without good footwork.

Looping is easy compared to the touch of a really high level short game. And looping underspin if it comes past the edge of the table is easy. If you are forced to do it when the ball is short, low and over the table, it is not so easy.

Reactions: ranniely
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Ma Long's mentality is just like Dima's.. Both of them are very powerful but nothing when without their respective coaches.

When Wang Hao defeated Yan An, I know Wang Hao is back already and he would win against Ma Long.. I just did not think that ML will lose 3 straight sets at first.

About the finals, it would be the most interesting matchup after Rotterdam, Paris (2011 World Cup), and London because both of them already has one title each. None of them will play under pressure of having to earn a title. Both of them plays very good in big events. Whoever wins would be a success, as I look forward to the most amazing match of this year, and the after-match sportsmanship of Wang and Zhang would be interesting... Maybe they will tear their shirts off together..

And with this Parisian crowd, our expectations will be met..

and hey, that is two upsets according to rankings in the semis.. (ZJK 4 def XX1 ; WH3 def ML2)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2013
Man, really surprising results. Ma Long just doesn't play well during crucial moments, and Wang Hao is just the exact opposite.Very great tactics from him. I wonder how these China v. Chine matches would have been if they had coaches.

And as for Jike's match against Xu Xin' the result was even more surprising. I was hoping ZJK would win, but not really expecting it. Beating Xu Xin in 4-0 is just crazy!

The finals later on will really be exciting. If both Wang and Zhang can perform like they did in their earlier matches, its gonna be a great final between the two. Hopefully we will see a repeat of their match during the WTTC trials earlier this year.

This user has no status.
Short game is all the stuff over the table that keeps your opponent from attacking or making an opening attack that is strong enough to hurt you. And short game is also your ability to attack anything that is over the table regardless of where it is.

If your short game is good enough to keep your opponent from being able to launch an attack then you have put him at a huge disadvantage. If your short game is good enough that, what ever your opponent gives you, you can attack it in a way that exploits your opponent's weaknesses or wins you the point outright, then, you have a huge advantage.

Part of short game is how low you can keep your pushes. The placement is of course an important part as well. But, if you can make a push that has a very low bounce, and is very short, for instance, say you push and the top of the bounce of your push is half the hight of the net and the first bounce is 4 inches past the net and it would bounce several times before reaching the end of the table, and that push is right in the center of the table, that is a very hard ball to attack. Short game has everything to do with touch and control. Now, say your opponent gives you that push I just described, or a serve with similar hight, spin and placement, and you can loop that with good pace and heavy spin from your backhand, to the middle, the deep forehand or the deep backhand, that is going to be hard for the opponent to handle.

Go and watch how Zhang Jike loops over the table with his backhand. His opponents rarely can tell where he is about to go with his shots because he is so good at that over the table backhand. Part of that, for him is also that his footwork is amazing. You really cannot have a good short game without good footwork.

Looping is easy compared to the touch of a really high level short game. And looping underspin if it comes past the edge of the table is easy. If you are forced to do it when the ball is short, low and over the table, it is not so easy.

Thank you Carl!! It must be really difficult to get the perfect short pushes at such high level. I know that short balls with lots of backspin inside the table is difficult to attack but then again I've never really thought short games would be the weakness of Ma Long because it seems comparatively more simple than vigorous topspin actions :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Also when it comes to forehand short game. When you watch Ma Long vs Wang Hao, Ma Long mostly pushes the ball trying to add even more backspin to it and that it's easy to loop because it's very predictable for the opponent. When you watch Zhang Jike in the match with Xu Xin, ZJK lifts the ball with his forehand, doing the opposite of push and causing the ball to float making more difficult to loop. Notice ZJK extreme open angle of the bat when he receives a short ball to his forehand.

Sometimes you could even hear Ma Long banging with the edge of his bat on the table surface because of him trying to chop the ball too much instead of Zhang Jike's method of doing the opposite which is lifting the ball up and placing it very delicately right behind the net with his very open bat angle.

Last edited:
Administrator
Oct 2010
Today will see the Men's Singles Final which begins at 14.30GMT between Zhang Jike and Wang Hao! (photo: Remy Gros) Who are you routing for?

The final will be live on TTD thanks to the ITTF here: http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/ittfstream.php?do=ittf

943122_10151485262944332_263816116_n.jpg

This user has no status.
Wow. I knew it would be tough for Ma Long against Wang Hao but that was much worse than I thought. I mean, in the end the match was awesome and the athmosfere was great at the stadium, but Ma Long was sweating allready before the match when he bought his equipment bag next to the court.

He was literally looking sick and nervous. He was very hesitant and seemed to fail at anything he tried. Even Wang Hao seemed to not like it, he wouldn't wan't to win that way. Then in the 4th set being 3-0 down in sets he managed to free his mind and unleash the beast in him. And the croud (including me, a fan of Wang Hao) was really with him. Then he just lost it again in the 6th, while simultaneously Wang Hao was upping his game.

In the end I think it was a great match with some super rallies, Ma Long just didn't have the mentality to finish his comeback this time.
Now let's just hope that there is nothing serious going on with Wang Hao's back and we'll have two great final matches tomorrow.
Allez!

well said there!! watching the results for ma long against wang hao really pains my heart...though everyone has its own time, but in ma long's case it seems wttc was never meant for him. but for sure i will be still and forever his no.1 fan. hahaha. just like his elder MA lin who was always stopped by WANG liqin, but managed to win the olympics and 4 world cups. i just hope ma long would defend his title in this year's WC.