Who do you think will win the World Table Tennis Championships 2013?

• Xu Xin

Votes: 76 37.4%
  • Ma Long

Votes: 75 36.9%
  • Wang Hao

Votes: 14 6.9%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Chuang CHih Yuan

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Ma Lin

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Jun Mizutani

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 8 3.9%

• Total voters
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Official TTD Discussion: Liebherr 2013 World Table Tennis Championships, 13 May 2013 - 20 May 2013, Paris, France

Total number of team entries is: 845

Click our Media Library which contains all the matches from the WTTC 2013

We are now in the lead up to the 2013 World Table Tennis Championships! It's now time for all the best players in the world to come together and make an impact on the global scene. The forthcoming Liebherr World Championships will be staged in Paris from Monday 13th to Monday 20th May 2013.

Live matches from the World Table Tennis Championships 2013 can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand!

Wow! What a year 2013 has been so far with the recent World Team Classic and various World Tour events. The next major tournament in store for the table tennis World is the World Table Tennis Championships! China's reigning World and Olympic Champion Zhang Jike has qualified alongside his fellow compatriots including Ma Long, Xu Xin, Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Yan An and Fan Zhendong.

Main Draw - Men's Singles - Women's Singles - Men's Doubles - Women's Doubles - Mixed Doubles

China's Xu Xin, the World #1 has entered the World Championships as the #1 seed.

xuxinwttc2013.jpg

Xu Xin the no.1 seed, photo by: ITTF

Men's Singles Seeds

timobollwttc2013.jpg

Germany's Timo Boll enters the tournament as the #5 seed - Photo by: rtbf.be

01) Xu XIn
02) Ma Long
03) Wang Hao
04) Zhang Jike
05) Timo Boll
06) Chuang Chih Yuan
07) Dimitrij Ovtcharov
08) Ma Lin
09) Jun Mizutani
10) Vladimir Samsonov
11) Yan An
12) Jiang Tinyi
13) Gao Ning
15) Adrian Crisan
16) Koki Niwa

For full Men's entries click here

Women's Singles Seeds

dingningwttc2013.jpg

China's Ding Ning, the World #1 has entered the World Championships as the #1 seed. Photo by: Xinhua/Chen Shaojin

01) Ding Ning
02) Liu Shiwen
03) Li Xiaoxia
04) Feng Tianwei
05) Zhu Yuling
06) Shen Yanfei
07) Kasumi Ishikawa
08) Wu Yang
09) Chen Meng
10) Ai Fukuhara
11) Jiang Huajun
12) Viktoria Pavlovich
13) Hajung Seok
14) Elizabeta Samara
15) Yang Haeun
16) Seo Hyowon

For full Women's entries click here

Men's Doubles

Coming soon...

Women's Doubles

Coming soon...

Live matches from the World Table Tennis Championships 2013 can be watched in the ITTF Live Streaming which has playback on demand!

What a tournament this will be! The line up is extremely strong and will be the strongest table tennis event of the year! Who do you think will win? Will Ma Long maintain recent form? Can the young guns of China including Yan An and Fan Zhendong pose a threat in the draw? Can the Japanese, Korean players make their way through the events? European players including Timo Boll, Dimitrij Ovtcharov, Vladimir Samsonov, Adrian Crisan and Adrien Mattenet will all be looking to cause some upsets!

We can use this thread as a means to display all the latest results, videos and news from this spectacular global event! What are your predictions from each category.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
My thoughts on WTTC 2013:

Men:

I voted for Ma Long and I am glad so many did, too!

Ma Long (25%): He is the best at the moment. Technically and Mentally. He grew up and is able to win international competitions. He has no nemesis or weakness. Either he will win it or the one who beats him.

Xu Xin (20%):He can beat everyone but against Ma Long and (a good shape) Zhang Jike he is the outsider. He can't cover his obvious weakness, his backhand. Against foreigners he will have no problems. His playing style is unpredictable for those who don't know him. Nemesis: Yan An, Ma Long, Zhang Jike ... but it seems he solved his problem against Yan An.

Zhang Jike (20%): His performance has been going downhill since the Olympics 2012. But he proved that he is in perfect condition at international tournaments. If he gets in the mood like WTTC 2011 against Boll almost nothing can stop him. 100% Passion. I love that Zhang Jike! ;-) Nemesis: Ma Long

Yan An: Too young, no experience on international level. He will get to the quarterfinals. Maybe he will lose against a top-european like Dima and Samsonov

Ma Lin: He can't compete against his mates but he can beat every foreigner. He will lose against his first chinese mate he will meet (except Fan Zhendong)

Boll: Disappointing performance and no tournament experience. He will lose very early, like 2003.

Dima: Too bad against China. Maybe he can beat Fan but he will surely lose against the other chinese players. Maybe he can beat one but not 2 or 3. -> end station Semi Final

Jun Mizutani: Black horse of WTTC 2013 for me! His performance is not consistent. But if he is in the mood (or a little better)like World Team Cup against Xu Xin he can cause an upset. He can beat Boll, Dima, Chuang, Yan An, Fan, Ma Lin and maybe Xu Xin. I see no chance for him against Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao.

Women:

I hope Liu Shiwen can win it!

Liu Shiwen is in good condition at the moment but she often lose unexpected against foreigners like Asian Championships 2012 (Team).
I like her playing style.

Ding Ning is not in very good condition but she has some time to get in shape. Her weakness are defenders.

Feng Tianwei has good chances, too! She can win against Liu Shiwen and Ding Ning but she is the underdog.

I don't know the other chinese players. I just can say that the average age is pretty low and they don't have so much international experience.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Despite the disappointing performance of Timo Boll, I think he has a chance to win. He had a great play in some of the earlier WTTC's. What I conclude is that there are two different extremes: An excellent performance, or an awful one. I bet in his victory :)

I don't want to take your illusion but:

2003: Timo Boll entered the WTTC as the N.1 and lost to the youngster Qiu Yike.
2005: He lost against Liu Gouzheng. Usually he beats him. It's like a Boll - Chen Qi match-up. Of course you can lose against Guozheng.
2007: He lost against Ryu Seung-Min. His first lost ever against Ryu and his only one!?!
2009: He can't compete because of back injury.
2011: Well performance. Played very good but Zhang Jike had the day of his life.

One time well performance from 5 WTTC's. That's actually bad or how do you see it?

Greets,
Bollforte94

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Good analysis Bollforte94, but I think Ma Lin will lose before he will get to some chinese player.
I think he has a good chance losing to any good russian like Liventsov, Burov or Skachkov.
Also I think any german player can beat him, but they have lower chance, because he usually knows them and knows tactics.
These russians are mostly unknown for him, so they have better chance. Or maybe not anymore, when he plays in Russian league. hmm.. thinking about that.. hehe..
Anyways, I dont think he will survive to meet some chinese player, if he wont meet him pretty early due to the draw (Fan Zhendong or Yan An can be low seeded enough to meet him early..)
These players are pretty big scare to Timo Boll..
I think Timo if healthy has a good chance.. But its still his mental problem. Because what else can it be?
I thought he will be fine after last WTTC in 2011. He played so well, really.. just Zhang was in such incrredible mood, what a performance..
So after this I thought he will do fine, but after Olympics .. well .. I dont know..
And he didnt even win German Championships, .. its tough..
For me the black horse will be Vladimir Samsonov, he gave tough time to many chinese lately, also beating Xu Xin and almost beating Zhang Jike at Olympics..
The second black horse, but with better chances - is Chuang Chih-Yuan. Check out his latest matches against chinese. You cant say he had no chance..
I think he had very good chance against each of them.. I think he can surprise!
But over all I hope and believe that Ma Long and Liu Shiwen will be new world champions ;-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I don't want to take your illusion but:

2003: Timo Boll entered the WTTC as the N.1 and lost to the youngster Qiu Yike.
2005: He lost against Liu Gouzheng. Usually he beats him. It's like a Boll - Chen Qi match-up. Of course you can lose against Guozheng.
2007: He lost against Ryu Seung-Min. His first lost ever against Ryu and his only one!?!
2009: He can't compete because of back injury.
2011: Well performance. Played very good but Zhang Jike had the day of his life.

One time well performance from 5 WTTC's. That's actually bad or how do you see it?

Greets,
Bollforte94
Yeah, that's true. But I mean, playing well is want to play. Want to win. Play well is not just win. Take a victory. It's give your life for the point, and I have never seen Timo Boll with no desire

Last edited:
says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
I vote for Ma Lin again, and he only got 1 vote up to now again :(

Really hope Ma Lin could won the Grand Slam, he at least missed 2 chances to won the WTTC champion.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Yeah, that's true. But I mean, playing well is want to play. Want to win. Play well is not just win. Take a victory. It's give your life for the point, and I have never seen Timo Boll with no desire

At WTTC 2011 Boll was amazing. But at the Olympics he might have been too focused and stressed. Since he knows he doesn't have man chances left, the pressure will grow on him. Though I think with a bit of luck in the draw he can come really far.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Biggest upset

Should there be a poll for who we on TTD thinks will cause the biggest upset? I believe it will be noshad alamiyan ;) btw, anyone that knows which club he is representing atm, would like to see him play for a European club :)

says bebakhshid.
says bebakhshid.
Jun 2012
originally posted by Bollforte94
My thoughts on WTTC 2013:

Men:

I voted for Ma Long and I am glad so many did, too!

Ma Long (25%): He is the best at the moment. Technically and Mentally. He grew up and is able to win international competitions. He has no nemesis or weakness. Either he will win it or the one who beats him.

Xu Xin (20%):
He can beat everyone but against Ma Long and (a good shape) Zhang Jike he is the outsider. He can't cover his obvious weakness, his backhand. Against foreigners he will have no problems. His playing style is unpredictable for those who don't know him. Nemesis: Yan An, Ma Long, Zhang Jike ... but it seems he solved his problem against Yan An.

Zhang Jike (20%):
His performance has been going downhill since the Olympics 2012. But he proved that he is in perfect condition at international tournaments. If he gets in the mood like WTTC 2011 against Boll almost nothing can stop him. 100% Passion. I love that Zhang Jike! ;-) Nemesis: Ma Long
Yan An: Too young, no experience on international level. He will get to the quarterfinals. Maybe he will lose against a top-european like Dima and Samsonov

Ma Lin: He can't compete against his mates but he can beat every foreigner. He will lose against his first chinese mate he will meet (except Fan Zhendong)

Boll: Disappointing performance and no tournament experience. He will lose very early, like 2003.

Dima: Too bad against China. Maybe he can beat Fan but he will surely lose against the other chinese players. Maybe he can beat one but not 2 or 3. -> end station Semi Final

Jun Mizutani: Black horse of WTTC 2013 for me! His performance is not consistent. But if he is in the mood (or a little better)like World Team Cup against Xu Xin he can cause an upset. He can beat Boll, Dima, Chuang, Yan An, Fan, Ma Lin and maybe Xu Xin. I see no chance for him against Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao.

Women:

I hope Liu Shiwen can win it!

Liu Shiwen is in good condition at the moment but she often lose unexpected against foreigners like Asian Championships 2012 (Team).
I like her playing style.

Ding Ning is not in very good condition but she has some time to get in shape. Her weakness are defenders.

Feng Tianwei has good chances, too! She can win against Liu Shiwen and Ding Ning but she is the underdog.

I don't know the other chinese players. I just can say that the average age is pretty low and they don't have so much international experience.
your analysis is just complete:D

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have to be honest, there are only 3 players who seem to have a realistic shot at it: Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Xu Xin. Yan An is playing great and if he really has the tournament of his life he might be able to step up to the level of those three but those three are really at a completely different level than anyone else right now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
I think Wang Hao would still be explosive in some way... Who knew he would defeat Ma Long in 2011 WTTC? His performances are very stable in major events I believe.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It seems to me that it has been a while since Wang Hao beat any of those three (Xu Xin, Zhang Jike and Ma Long) in a tournament. If he can get through to the finals without playing any of them (unlikely) he might have an outside shot. But he cannot win if he has to play 2 of them and probably won't win if he has to play any one of them which is pretty likely that he will have to play at least 2 of them.

Wang Hao has slowed down a little since 2 years ago, and those 3 have only gotten better, although I think Ma Long is starting to slow down a little and Zhang Jike is only on when he is on. But when either of those 2 are on, nobody can beat either of them.