The handshake in table tennis.

says Hello guys, I play the highest junior division in...
Jan 2012
Read 3 reviews
Hey Guys.

I noticed how the handshake after the match evolved from respectfull handshake and a bow, to barely touching the opponents hand.
Especially Ma Lin, who used to make the respectfull touch on the opponents back after a match, went to the arrogant hand clap. Am I the only one who think table tennis has become too arrogant? Screaming cho after every point and disrespecting the opponent. What are your thoughts on this?
This video shows how the handshake has evolved throughout WTTC finals.

Please share your thoughts.

Jan 2012
Read 3 reviews
Handshake is mainly western culture. I think it has evolved due to the overwhelming influence of other cultures dominating the sport where handshake is not used.

That is not a criticism; just my observation.

I know that is not criticism, everyone is allowed an opinion, but isn´t it a shame? The sport we love has gotten so arrogant and respectless?

This user has no status.
I know that is not criticism, everyone is allowed an opinion, but isn´t it a shame? The sport we love has gotten so arrogant and respectless?

I don't really see it as arrogant or a lack of respect. A handshake is just not that common for many of the participants in their own culture so using it must seem alien and contrived. Zhang Jike is often remarked as arrogant, and yet he shows more warmth and respect towards his opponent at the moment of victory than many.

It is also important to put it into perspective in comparison to other sports. I think in general there is much more respect shown in TT than most others, particularly in regards to acknowledging luck and owning up to edges etc.

This user has no status.
I think you have to consider the culture and/or social norms of the participants where he/she grew up. It does not mean that if one doesn't shook hands with his/her opponent after a match, he/she will be deemed "arrogant", sometimes they're not just used to it. But sometimes I see players who just walk away from the event after a loss, not even a pat or a handshake to his/her opponents..

Jan 2012
Read 3 reviews
I don't really see it as arrogant or a lack of respect. A handshake is just not that common for many of the participants in their own culture so using it must seem alien and contrived. Zhang Jike is often remarked as arrogant, and yet he shows more warmth and respect towards his opponent at the moment of victory than many.

It is also important to put it into perspective in comparison to other sports. I think in general there is much more respect shown in TT than most others, particularly in regards to acknowledging luck and owning up to edges etc.

Then why would Zhang Jike only tap the opponents back and make a nice handshake in victory, if it is so foreign? You cannot say that the handshake is foreign in defeat and familiar in victory.

This user has no status.
Then why would Zhang Jike only tap the opponents back and make a nice handshake in victory, if it is so foreign? You cannot say that the handshake is foreign in defeat and familiar in victory.

I never said ZJ used a handshake in either case; just that he "shows more warmth and respect towards his opponent at the moment of victory than many". That does not necessarily mean handshake which you associate with respect, while many other cultures do not.

Reactions: delirious
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh, God, not this silly conversation again. There were at least two whole long threads on this about 2 years ago. Who cares if they shake hands after. It is a silly convention. I have never seen a bench clearing brawl in a table tennis match and I have never heard a table tennis player making crazy boastful comments before a match as happens in so many sports.

And, when you have a player like Michael Maze who adds some excitement to the game and part of that has to do with antics, sometimes it makes things more interesting.

There are too many gentleman in table tennis. Why not more trash talk. :)

Okay, I am joking for those of you who don't know me. But, really, who cares about the after match handshake.

If it had not become a formality and guys only did it when they wanted to, it might mean something more when it happens.

Do you always want to shake hands with your opponent after a match?

I know I could care less at the end of a match, win or lose, whether I shake hands with my opponent.

You can be gracious in winning or losing without shaking hands and you can be the opposite and still shake hands. It is only a gesture. And because it is a forced gesture and not done when the two players both feel like doing it, it is often an hollow gesture.

Last edited:
Reactions: delirious
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I say we get more bad boy characters into the sport who trash talk straight through the match. Perhaps even some more creative point winning celebrations, like touchdown dances in American Football. Or how about when Charles Barkley was on the Phoenix Suns and spit at an audience member who was annoying him and then told the press that he is not a role model. :)

Okay, guys, I am joking again.

But:

It is okay for players to have their own personalities and not feel they need to conform with our ideals.