How to perform Kick Serve?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
My coach tells me if I'm having trouble with a serve that always seems to look the same but have different spins is to not only read the ball, but look for any type of motion the opponent does to serve. Then push at the ball and note the reaction of the ball to the serve. Of course, this means giving away some points, but in the long run of the match if done early will allow you to get an early jump on the ball if the Kick Serve is a topspin.

Reactions: Enfoftede
This user has no status.
After trying to mimic the serve for several days, I think I get the hang of it now.

It is indeed a slow topspin serve.In the first video, the player uses fake motions, both before and after ball contact.
The keypoint is to toss the ball up high, let it drop down and in the menwhile move the bat up to brush the back of the ball. It will create topspin without much speed. The bat angle can be a bit open to deceive the opponent.

says Thanks TTD
says Thanks TTD
Nov 2013
1. i woke up
2. i grabbed my bat
3. i found a table
4. i performed a perfect kick serve

more like the order was 2,3,4,1:cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I know this is an old thread but it's interesting and I'm gonna do 144 balls on this one today.

I think it's done like this: if your bat angle is 45 degrees open, although it is a backspin position, if you drop the ball on the bat, it will be topspin, but slight topspin.

Use that. Barely mov the bat to touch the ball and then go down. I hope it works for me and everyone else :).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I know this is an old thread but it's interesting and I'm gonna do 144 balls on this one today.

I think it's done like this: if your bat angle is 45 degrees open, although it is a backspin position, if you drop the ball on the bat, it will be topspin, but slight topspin.

Use that. Barely mov the bat to touch the ball and then go down. I hope it works for me and everyone else :).

thanks for the tip. I have these hook serves (a bit like that of Chris Wheeler), one is topspin/kick serve, one is super fast and no spin or a little underspin. Earned me a lot of points. Hope I can add more deception to my serves with your tip.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
thanks for the tip. I have these hook serves (a bit like that of Chris Wheeler), one is topspin/kick serve, one is super fast and no spin or a little underspin. Earned me a lot of points. Hope I can add more deception to my serves with your tip.

Thanks. After I wrote this I created a very effective top and under spin serve using my technique. I never got so many points from serve pushes going off the table. When I go back to my club (once my leg heals) I will tape it.

Reactions: iammaru
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
One of my topspin serves is done in the manner described above and to many players it looks a lot like a bottomspin serve. Ball toss a little over head, bat even with table top to 45 degrees, move bat forward to impact it just like underspin, but at impact, you are moving the bat backwards. The ball falling on a tilted blade will naturally have a bit of topspin, but when you pull the bat back at the same time, it generates much more topspin. The timing of this serve can be difficult to learn, but not impossible. Since many players serve underspin but cutting under the ball, following through forward and bringing the bat back, this serve has the same motion as a regular cut serve, but the impact timing is a shade different, kinda hard to catch. That is why it is effective on those who never see it. Plus, when you get good at controlling the impact, you can make this serve both low AND short for even more popups LULZ.

This serve is worth learning for the advantage it can give you (even if it wears off vs the better players) and for the learning of touch and timing that can translate into other shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
[h=1]Werner Schlager service explanation - ITTF World Hopes Week & Challenge 2013[/h]
cant post a ling but search it on youtube... you`ll get a verry nice ideea of the mechanics

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Thanks. After I wrote this I created a very effective top and under spin serve using my technique. I never got so many points from serve pushes going off the table. When I go back to my club (once my leg heals) I will tape it.
thanks. I would love to see it. I love to learn as many strange serves as possible.

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
It's in the wrist, brush the bull upwards and accelerate that motion with your wrist when you contact the ball during service.

This user has no status.
Werner Schlager service explanation - ITTF World Hopes Week & Challenge 2013

cant post a ling but search it on youtube... you`ll get a verry nice ideea of the mechanics

If you think a little bit logically, you'll find out that the type of spin depends only on the movement and not on the hemisphere where you hit the ball.
I know Schlager is a world champion, but if he says that if you hit the ball on the front hemisphere that it is a topspin and if you hit the ball on the back hemisphere that it is a backspin serve, he doesn't know much about physical processes.