Is Timo Boll Still Able to Compete With Chinese Best Players ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
I mean, he isn't that young anymore and the injuries are taking place more and more often. Has he actually managed to win something lately, cause i feel like he hasn't for a while now :(. So my question is, Is he still able to compete with players like Zhang Jike, Ma Long or Xu Xin ?

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Personally I think Timo is past his career peak, he has to maintain himself physically and that's hard with his ongoing back problems which also reduce the amount of time he can dedicate to intense training and competition. I can't see Timo making any huge results in the future now, I think he missed the boat really.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
A lot it's got to do with his technique imo. The chinese over 5-10 years have adopted a smash-looping technique and he can't cope with this especially the very top chinese players that are very skilled and deadly at it. Timo Boll mostly uses spinny, upward top spin technique ala Michael Maze, and that can injure quite easily. Just look at the last 2012 Men's World Cup in Liverpool, England Men's singles final: Timo Boll vs Ma Long. Totally destroyed 4:0.

Reactions: Alborz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Timo Boll has no chance against the best chinese players. He doesn't hit the ball hard enough because his forehand move is too short, his serves are not that good, and he changes grip beetween forehand and backhand, which is a complete nonsense in table tennis (wastes a lot of time). Timo Boll was already inferior to WLQ and Ma Lin, and today's players are a lot stronger.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Timo Boll has no chance against the best chinese players. He doesn't hit the ball hard enough because his forehand move is too short, his serves are not that good, and he changes grip beetween forehand and backhand, which is a complete nonsense in table tennis (wastes a lot of time). Timo Boll was already inferior to WLQ and Ma Lin, and today's players are a lot stronger.
I bet you would not be able to say that about WLQ if you watched he played in Chinese Super League and WTTC Trials. He still well maintains his strong points and skills and also seems to improve his backhand a lot more than the old days. In the past, WLQ is sort of player who use 70% forehand to attack as ordinary top Chinese back then. WLQ still can take the Chinese youngsters down as usual, except big four.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think he can get an occasional match from the top guys but I don't think he can win a tournament if the top Chinese guys are all there. I think, for now, he sort of has to keep playing for Germany. Without him, the German team would drop in level considerably. But I do think his best days are behind him. It might be possible for him to have an amazing run in a tournament where you goes through everyone, but not very probable.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
I think Timo would have an outside chance if he were playing at his peak physical fitness levels, but he's nowhere near that. Timo's spinny loop style requires him to be absolutely fit if he has to have any chance against the top 4 Chinese players.He's past his prime and The likes of Ma Long , ZJK are much more complete,compact and experienced players now. If Timo plays extremely well, he might win against the likes of Ya An , but it's hard to see him cause an upset against the Chinese Big Four unless they are having a really bad day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Sadly I feel he has past his peak years. Same as JO Waldner. Where are the new players? Why only China alone has so so so many excellent younger players every a few years whereas less and less are coming up in Europe and USA? I don't think it is a good trend. Is it a problem with promotion and education? In China most schools and universities offer TT as a choice of PE lessons. Such public training seems successful, as many university student who are talented can even approach a sub-pro level after 1-2 years of PE lessons.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Sadly I feel he has past his peak years. Same as JO Waldner. Where are the new players? Why only China alone has so so so many excellent younger players every a few years whereas less and less are coming up in Europe and USA? I don't think it is a good trend. Is it a problem with promotion and education? In China most schools and universities offer TT as a choice of PE lessons. Such public training seems successful, as many university student who are talented can even approach a sub-pro level after 1-2 years of PE lessons.

A lot of this goes much deeper into the political system which is basically self-detrimenting our nations. So because of the current ongoing western civilization you will see this tearing apart of each european nation/american in every aspect, politics unfavouring those that are natives of a country while in China even though suffered civil war in the past and a lot of tragic gov regimes on people, now it seems to benefit them. Also the low birth of native people of Europe, feminization of men, slacking culture of laziness, constant marriage divorces due to greed that goes deeper into political system. That in the end will affect how the europeans perform in sport as well just like table tennis, before europeans were winning world titles more before, now because of flooded invasions which means worse living standard for the natives of Europe/America - it affects of how well they compete in sports because it's hard to worry about sport when your very own country is being flooded against your will.

Last edited: